RD$400 Million For Sosua Beach Renovation?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
From today's Sosua News:

The Minister of Tourism, Francisco Javier Garcia announced that for the restructuring of the bay of the resort town Sos?a the government has made four hundred million pesos available. According to Mayor Ilana Neumann of Sos?a good agreements have been made with all current owners of the casetas (souvenir shops). When the renovation of the historic center of Puerto Plata is completed, they will start with the renovation of the beach of Sos?a. There will be constructed two shopping center where the current owners of the casetas can rent a shop at both entrances to the beach. With these changes, Sos?a should be more attractive to tourists who demand better service and more luxury.

With the cruise port in Maim?n and the renovation of the historic center of Puerto Plata, the north coast will be culturally more attractive, says the Minister of Tourism.

drescape24

Bronze
Nov 2, 2011
Let the skimming begin! The local government must be so happy to have such a big pie to carve up! Hope something positive comes from all that money.

drescape24

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Let the skimming begin! The local government must be so happy to have such a big pie to carve up! Hope something positive comes from all that money.

drescape24

of course something positive will result; positive cash flow for jeepeta vendors

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
sad to say and sad to think that way but it is true for most politicians that will have access to this cash...they'll definitely put some of it in their pockets. ohhhh the dr...........

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
From today's Sosua News:

The Minister of Tourism, Francisco Javier Garcia announced that for the restructuring of the bay of the resort town Sos?a the government has made four hundred million pesos available. According to Mayor Ilana Neumann of Sos?a good agreements have been made with all current owners of the casetas (souvenir shops). When the renovation of the historic center of Puerto Plata is completed, they will start with the renovation of the beach of Sos?a. There will be constructed two shopping center where the current owners of the casetas can rent a shop at both entrances to the beach. With these changes, Sos?a should be more attractive to tourists who demand better service and more luxury.

With the cruise port in Maim?n and the renovation of the historic center of Puerto Plata, the north coast will be culturally more attractive, says the Minister of Tourism.

Why are they waiting for the historic center of Puerto Plata to be renovated before they start Sosua beach?

I was talking to two bar owner on the beach and they say they have not talked to anyone about the new plans. They are completely in the dark. So if she said this, she is lying......or maybe the restaurants/bars are not being moved, only the shops?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
When the renovation of the historic center of Puerto Plata is completed, they will start with the renovation of the beach of Sos?a.

i was not aware such project was even in place. and i live in POP.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Call me cynical but I find it hard to believe this has been accomplished so quietly and smoothly. That is not the way things go in the DR.

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
So much cynicism. I believe that this will transform all of Sosua into a popular family tourist destination and that all of the working girls will find corporate level Hotel jobs. All moto concho drivers will have mufflers on their motor bikes and the pot holes will be filled.
The beaches in Florida will be sparse and people will drive over from Punta Cana

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
So much cynicism. I believe that this will transform all of Sosua into a popular family tourist destination and that all of the working girls will find corporate level Hotel jobs. All moto concho drivers will have mufflers on their motor bikes and the pot holes will be filled.
The beaches in Florida will be sparse and people will drive over from Punta Cana

pauleast, not to mention that many of these girls will just bugger off to Seattle to work at the corporate headquarters of Microsoft.

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005

Funny thing is, this plan they have, will help kill all tourism in the Sosua area. It will only pad the pockets of the local politicians and allow a large investor to take over the beach area. Instead of improving the infrastructure of the beach area, cleaning up the shacks that are dilapidated, improving the lighting and security, they go radical without thinking of what they are actually doing. It amazes me that they have a tourism department that really does not seem to understand tourism. I mean, come on, moving all the bars and restaurants to then ends of the beach so people cannot get something to eat or drink while on the beach......closing in bars that were open air in the Caribbean. Brilliant.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Funny thing is, this plan they have, will help kill all tourism in the Sosua area. It will only pad the pockets of the local politicians and allow a large investor to take over the beach area. Instead of improving the infrastructure of the beach area, cleaning up the shacks that are dilapidated, improving the lighting and security, they go radical without thinking of what they are actually doing. It amazes me that they have a tourism department that really does not seem to understand tourism. I mean, come on, moving all the bars and restaurants to then ends of the beach so people cannot get something to eat or drink while on the beach......closing in bars that were open air in the Caribbean. Brilliant.

it amazes you that the tourism department does not understand tourism? are you serious?

ever been to one of those so-called meetings, and listened to some of the crap that comes from these guys? and, yes, the obligatory lovely looking woman of the entourage, licenciada this or that, who you know is banging one of the drones that populate these groups. theses are not serious people, who have a clue. they are just there because they have connections, not because they have concepts.

ohmmmm

Bronze
Jun 11, 2010
The announcement of the money is so that the vendors feel its a done deal, overwhelmed by the money power and do not fight the changes legally that much, I think. Like most things here, it will be a little bit of a plan but mostly break-it and then try and fix it and end up with something newer. This will be the topic of conversation for many many years...

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
From today's Sosua News:

..... When the renovation of the historic center of Puerto Plata is completed, they will start with the renovation of the beach of Sos?a. ....

i was not aware such project was even in place. and i live in POP.

I guess that means work on Sosua beach plazas won't start any time soon, because that project in POP will probably take a few years to complete and by then the budget will be spent and they have a new pet project and new ideas in place and is all forgotten... ! (no one seems to even know what that project in POP is !!?)

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I guess that means work on Sosua beach plazas won't start any time soon, because that project in POP will probably take a few years to complete and by then the budget will be spent and they have a new pet project and new ideas in place and is all forgotten... ! (no one seems to even know what that project in POP is !!?)

You may be right. I have seen that happen many times during the years I have lived here.