Cabarete Diaries, part 2

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
A friend and i are on a motorcycle tour around the island right now. We're having good luck with the weather so far.

[video=youtube_share;nER4LV5DHL0]https://youtu.be/nER4LV5DHL0[/video]

Milo Mitt

Jul 21, 2014
I didn't, thanks for bringing it up.

Now, I've read it and the date on it is 2013, things may have changed (although he just mentioned being at a bar, not necessarily working at the bar?), irrelevant now since five years have gone by.

Hope the person I asked the question directly (Frank) is nicer and answer it at his own perils.

If you think the comment that was made (about reading the first post) was not nice you are rather easily offended. I have seen much worse on this forum.

I had to smile when I saw your reaction to the previous post also since you have not come across like someone that necessarily understand different opinions in some discussion points recently. Some would call your posts ignorant or something else for example.

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
There was a copyright issue with the previous video, so let's try it with different music. thanjs Kathleen!
[video=youtube_share;SMSEWXYcOQE]https://youtu.be/SMSEWXYcOQE[/video]

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
So, today, my friend and I drove 9km up a mountain to visit the Larimar Mine. i went down into the mine again...holy mother was it hot inside! i bought some choice pieces of Larimar for presents.
[video=youtube_share;3xMU4f7DOCM]https://youtu.be/3xMU4f7DOCM[/video]

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
We took off from Cabarete and drove to Dajabon, then to Restauracion, then San Juan de Maguana, and finally Barahona. We made it through the mountains on street tires. One way from Cabarete to Casa Bonita hotel was about 500km. It took us around 7- hours.
[video=youtube_share;TkwekaNzIn0]https://youtu.be/TkwekaNzIn0[/video]

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Really great video's Frank...nice to see parts of the country some of us have not had the opportunity to see/experience.

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
The climb up to the Larimar Mine from highway 44 is a 9km, and is stunning, but requires a 4-wheel drive SUV or truck. For a light motorcycle, or something with good suspension, it's a lot of fun...

[video=youtube_share;ZCgxv0s3duA]https://youtu.be/ZCgxv0s3duA[/video]

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Is what looks like snow in the hills at the very beginning of your video and close up at 33 secs. the after effects from mining larimar or is it something else?

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Is what looks like snow in the hills at the very beginning of your video and close up at 33 secs. the after effects from mining larimar or is it something else?

That looked to me to be an avalanche where the fauna was washed down the mountain and exposing the white rock underneath it. The reason i think this is because, below the avalanche is a brand new road they just made--it runs horizontally along the edge of the mountain. I saw motorcycles going back and forth on it; the road is completely white and looks to be some kind of white rock or Caliche. It's very bright white, and can be seen at the bottom of the mountain.

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Here is Day-1 of the motorcycle tour

[video=youtube_share;7euvrXdgCls]https://youtu.be/7euvrXdgCls[/video]

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Here is day-2 of our motorcycle trip around the Island. This is from Barahona to Cabo Rojo and Pedernales and then back to Casa Bonita hotel.
[video=youtube_share;S07qBFA4j_4]https://youtu.be/S07qBFA4j_4[/video]

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Your videos along the sea shore are my favourite.

Thanks

Thanks Ann. I love touring around the DR. It's one of the most astonishingly beautiful islands in the entire Caribbean. We have some of the warmest, kindest, and friendliest people on this planet...people that welcome strangers into their homes and offer them what little they have.

We're so lucky to be a part of it.

People do not realize what a big, beautiful island this is until one begins to travel around it. We have every possible type of terrain imaginable. We have every kind of fauna imaginable. We have deserts and mountains. We have oceans and rivers. We have stunning flowers and beautiful fauna....and of course, the people....the people make this island the wonderful, beautiful place it is.

Dominicans are some of the most giving and sharing people on this earth. We socialize. We help others. We smile. We laugh. We love life.

And that's why it is such a joy to travel around it and meet the people. There is a wonderful surprise waiting around every corner, every village, and every place where people gather to socialize and share stories.

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Day-3 of motorcycle tour, 1,520km's of sun, rain, sore butts, and laughter.

[video=youtube_share;IaodfPCa9a0]https://youtu.be/IaodfPCa9a0[/video]

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
I finally received my brother's DNA test back this morning. I bought the test kit "23andme" for him. We sent it back around the 1st of August, but then got a message that they were updating their computers/database systems and that there would be a delay. My brother and I only share the same Dominican father together, and hence, some things were almost identical to one another, while other things were wildly different. Here is DNA breakdown:

1. 30.3% Portuguese
2. 0.6% Scandinavian
3. 0.5% Sardinian
4. 0.4% British/Irish
5. 18.1% Southern European
6. 3.7% Northwestern European
7. 9.5% Senegambian & Guinean
8. 4.2% Nigerian
9. 3.3% Coastal West African
10. 3.2% Congolese
11. 4.3% Native American (Dominican)
12. 58% European

I finally received my brother's DNA test back this morning. I bought the test kit "23andme" for him. We sent it back around the 1st of August, but then got a message that they were updating their computers/database systems and that there would be a delay. My brother and I only share the same Dominican father together, and hence, some things were almost identical to one another, while other things were wildly different. Here is DNA breakdown:

1. 30.3% Portuguese
2. 0.6% Scandinavian
3. 0.5% Sardinian
4. 0.4% British/Irish
5. 18.1% Southern European
6. 3.7% Northwestern European
7. 9.5% Senegambian & Guinean
8. 4.2% Nigerian
9. 3.3% Coastal West African
10. 3.2% Congolese
11. 4.3% Native American (Dominican)
12. 58% European

Ummm - I don't want to give you bad news but thats over 100% - does su hermano have 6 toes? on each hand?

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
It's likely Frank didn't give the full breakdown from his report. The 58% European amount likely includes subsets #5 & #6 as well as others.
There is another thread in the forums that shows the full DNA assessments with all subsets, but that thread is likely in the Off-Topic forum.
23andMe should have the info on their website.

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
It's likely Frank didn't give the full breakdown from his report. The 58% European amount likely includes subsets #5 & #6 as well as others.
There is another thread in the forums that shows the full DNA assessments with all subsets, but that thread is likely in the Off-Topic forum.
23andMe should have the info on their website.

Yes, that's correct. It should have read 58% European at the top--followed by the subset breakdown of each European country.

Where my brother and i were almost identical was the 30% vs 25% Portuguese that we both share in common, as well as the near 4% Native American (Dominican).

For us, it's been kind of a revelation to find out that our ancestry that came to the DR hundreds of years ago were from Portugal. No one knew from which country the Genao name came from?

When i used to work on ships, I was in Lisbon, Portugal quite a bit, but i never found the Genao name in the phone books back in the 1990's.

Last edited: