Tired Of The Music

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
They are garbage, I compared them to my Skullcandy plugs in the store, and my Skullcandy had more dynamic range!

Monster Cable deserves credit for marketing. for decades they have been able to sell worthless junk for ridiculous prices by sheer gimmickry. they make the worst audio cables, and still get ridiculous money for them.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I have very old SONY MDR V2s and still like them a lot. KOSS Porto Pro's as well and they are also good for what they are.

the Porta Pro has been a budget favorite for many years. if you can get past the slightly tubby bass, they are pure fun.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
the Porta Pro has been a budget favorite for many years. if you can get past the slightly tubby bass, they are pure fun.

And Koss has a lifetime guarantee where for about $!2 they will send you a new one if it fails for any reason. I already took advantage of that once. The new ones have a 45 degree plug which will reduce the chance of my breaking them in the same manner at the plug .

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
I was in Cali ColUmbia in november. They really do have salsa in their blood. But the bachata? forget about it. stilted, like they were gonna throw out their hips on the fourth step.

Oh please, oh please...somebody correct my spelling of Columbia. Please, oh please!

Bachata in 2 minutes! :)

But bachata well?hmm, that can take a lifetime

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
Similar criticisms are pointed toward reggae. Particularly regarding the musical talent required to perform. I am a virtuoso...of the radio.

you cannot even begin to compare salsa with either bachata or merengue as far as musicianship goes. they don't even come close. bachata bands all have the same instruments, and there seems to be a lack of virtuoso players. the bass line of every song is exactly the same. you can't vary it much, because the genre is so structured. i guess that if you went too far off base and added synths, you would ruin the whole deal.

Buzzard

Feb 28, 2004
Costambar
Take off the headphones!

and come to Big Lee's on the Malecon in PP this Friday at 4:00pm for some live acoustic and electric blues, rock etc. No Bachata, Merenge or Hip-hop, will be played.
In the spirit of full disclosure, I (Buzzard) will be on drums and percussion, along with two fine Canadian players, Al Romano and Mike Rosen.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Similar criticisms are pointed toward reggae. Particularly regarding the musical talent required to perform. I am a virtuoso...of the radio.

i have not heard any criticisms about reggae musicians. as a matter of fact, groups like the Rolling Stones use Sly Dunbar (drums) and Robbie Shakespeare (bass guitar) when they lay down their studio tracks.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Similar criticisms are pointed toward reggae. Particularly regarding the musical talent required to perfIorm. I am a virtuoso...of the radio.

To perform Reggae well, it requires a gene that I appear to be missing.:bunny: And I must say that I am not a fan of the hard core true Reggae. It does take some talent to perform it.

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
I do like some of the older stuff like Leonardo Paniagua ( i think). and the traditional style of dancing bachata is quite lovely to watch. Fun for all ages. like the texas two step or the box step. the newer bumpy,grindy,twerky version is fun to look at, but makes me feel like an old perv. These kids are obviously just dry humping. kids today...argh, argh.

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
my itunes has about 500 bachata, 300 salsa, 300 mixed brasilian,100 dembow/reggaeton, 100 mexi-mierda (I coin the phrase), 200 jazz standards, 100 old school reggae and about 100 songs from female vocalists like joan armatrading, carly simon, carole king. about a dozen classic merengues, but they can give me a headache.

Clearly I need a hobby.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
my itunes has about 500 bachata, 300 salsa, 300 mixed brasilian,100 dembow/reggaeton, 100 mexi-mierda (I coin the phrase), 200 jazz standards, 100 old school reggae and about 100 songs from female vocalists like joan armatrading, carly simon, carole king. about a dozen classic merengues, but they can give me a headache.

Clearly I need a hobby.

you have one...

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
I don't endorse such criticisms. Prior to the internet i subscribed to world music and beat type magazines. This makes me an expert in ethnomusicology. Don't you agree? Other posters reference a certain monotony to bachata rhythms. There is also a strictness to a reggae bass line, isn't there? Really, I know squat about music. I read lots of articles on this topic pertaining to reggae. Often refuting such claims in the article.

Last time a bachata thread went around it cost me more money on damned iTunes. Then in this thread the older cats are throwin down the seventies delights. Love proto-music videos.

i have not heard any criticisms about reggae musicians. as a matter of fact, groups like the Rolling Stones use Sly Dunbar (drums) and Robbie Shakespeare (bass guitar) when they lay down their studio tracks.