Trouble in DR

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
The guy should be honored, NOT vilified!
That's the guy I want on my back!!!!
There are "Doers" and there are "Second Guessers"!
"Monday Morning Quarterbacks" have never been in the "GAME"!
And never will!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
I may not have been in the "game" but I sure as hell have been in the "fight" and the last thing I want near me when some ish is going down is a dumas hot head who can't think his way out of a wet paper sack running around pi$$ing off the Guys with the guns.

Greydread and the Rudeboy Posse

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Caesar Guzman, you're wasting your time, most posters have never experienced your side of the DR, many doesn't even know it exists.

I guarantee, you will be hard pushed to find 4-5 posters on DR1 that have dated a Dominican female that owns/rents an apartment, car, good job and can travel overseas freely.

Count me in!!!
My dominican wife came with a SUV, a big house, quite a bit of land and a swimming pool. We have traveled to the US, france, switzerland, britain, greece, turkey and more......
P.s. last year she bought me a motorbike for my birthday......

See anything can happing.

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
Count me in!!!
My dominican wife came with a SUV, a big house, quite a bit of land and a swimming pool. We have traveled to the US, france, switzerland, britain, greece, turkey and more......

Me too!

What a coincidence!

Wow! A motorbike. You lucky bugger!
I only got the Cayenne....

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
I would have run out into the street screaming my head off for the neighbors to come help turning on every light as I go, honk the car horn or something. If I ever caught somebody trying to break into my place there would be enough of a commotion to change their minds about it that's for sure. Everybody not in a coma would've been awakened. Most Missionaries work with Dominican counterparts who sponsor them, no? How's about giving them a call?

Hind sight is 20-20 for sure but rushing more than one assailants holding firearms with a stick just isn't my idea of a good idea. I'd have thrown my wallet at them 1st. You can always get more money.

Yes hind sight in 20-20, but OBVIOUSLY you don't know where Les lives, and running out on the street where he does live would be a waste of time.....he lives on the main highway outside of Cabarete in an isolated area....no one would have heard him scream anyway.......please, you would have to be in his shoes before you could make statements (idiotic IMO) like you have or at least live close by, or even in the country...............

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
Yes hind sight in 20-20, but OBVIOUSLY you don't know where Les lives, and running out on the street where he does live would be a waste of time.....he lives on the main highway outside of Cabarete in an isolated area....no one would have heard him scream anyway.......please, you would have to be in his shoes before you could make statements (idiotic IMO) like you have or at least live close by, or even in the country...............
I guarantee you that attacking two Guys with guns with nothing but a stick was the wrong thing to do. The result is obvious proof of that.

Idiotic! (IMO)

ThunderPants

Feb 8, 2014
Hindsight is always 20-20 and it's so easy to second guess. As far as I'm concerned the guy is a hero. He risked his life in order to protect his guests. Who's to say what might have transpired if he hadn't chased them off? If I ever have the opportunity I intendto buy this man a beer or three. Get well soon Les!

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
I got a laugh when trying to do a rundown on tourists killed in Cuba to see if it was as shocking a tally as that for DR: I first typed "Americans killed + Cuba," and one of the "victims" that came up was JFK, so yes, I'll concede that one, LOL, conspiracy theorist that I am. But to further my initial thought, yes, there are some grisly tourist murders in Cuba, too, despite Cuba's safe reputation, and despite some travel hurdles for USA citizens going to Cuba, which, along with other factors, would necessarily make for different tourist visit totals.

So, to complete the Dr connection;
?

localhistorybuff

Aug 6, 2013
So, to complete the Dr connection;
?

This thread and many others on DR1 are about frequent Dominican Republic crime reports, so I was illustrating that Cuba, also, has grisly stories that could be trumpeted - probably any place does (Miami, also!). So, since even a place with a safe (for tourists) reputation like Cuba has these stories, the black eye that DR gets should be kept in perspective, though it's useful to hear these crime accounts and to learn from them. I also inlcuded a humorous anecdote that came up while researching that issue. Either you're not very bright, Wrecksum, or you're being malicious in asking that - which is it, or is it some of both?

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
Count me in!!!

LoL!!!!!!!!!

Feb 15, 2005
Yeah, sure.

jajaja that's funny. A while ago I used to work with a gringo in New York, who used to tell me "Dam, why can't I just give a girl a couple of hundred bucks up front and forget about having to take her to all these restaurants and buy her stuff, before we hit the sack." jajaja

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
I remember one night in Vietnam, when a LOT of guys with guns, rockets, and mortars attacked my "Friends".
Being a "Medic", I ran around like a mad man, helping my "Friends", and some of my "Friends" ran beside me, to protect me, since I had no "Gun" myself!!!!!!
Most of us, including me, got shot, or "Fragged", one died!
I guess we should have ran into a bunker, left our wounded friends where they lay,and "Called For Help"!!!!
Their are "DOERS", and there are "Smoozers"!
And worst of ALL,...."Second Guessers"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
Comparing a night in the D.R. with a combat zone in SEA is juu-ust a bit of a stretch, don't you think? You aren't the only Guy here who's been in combat so snap out of it. The Guy is a Missionary, trained to hand out bibles for crying out loud. Maybe he should have thrown bibles at them.

"Second Guessers" aren't the worst of all. Those who walk around hallucinating, experiencing 'Nam Era flashbacks from 50 years ago and thinking they can eat bullets are the worst. You think 'Nam was bad? You should've stopped in on Angola. You are not the only one who has seen the Terrordome, don't let it be your cross. Medic.

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
Hindsight is always 20-20 and it's so easy to second guess. As far as I'm concerned the guy is a hero. He risked his life in order to protect his guests. Who's to say what might have transpired if he hadn't chased them off? If I ever have the opportunity I intendto buy this man a beer or three. Get well soon Les!

" Show me a hero and I'll write you a tragedy"

F.Scott Fitzgerald

Kind of fit the bill hear do you agree????

drescape24

Bronze
Nov 2, 2011
Exactly. I don't try to go snorkelling in the Potomac in February any more than I'd try to bring any other element of my vacation home with me other than memories (and a few pictures). Actually I don't snorkel in the Potomac at all. That thing is nasty. I can hold off until my next Caribbean adventure.

Bringing a Dominican liason back home is like trying to bring back one of the rides from Disney World. Makes no sense.

Great Disney analogy! May I use it in the future? No copy right infringement? Haha

drescape24

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
There s 33 people killed by guns everyday in the USA. Enough said. Go to Mexico then

Interesting that you should bring up gun deaths in the USA. It appears that Cleveland OH has a higher per capita gun homicide rate than the Dominican Republic.

Gun Violence in U.S. Cities Compared to the Deadliest Nations in the World - Richard Florida - The Atlantic Cities

Meanwhile the US government paints a very grim picture concerning safety in the D.R.

https://www.osac.gov/pages/ContentReportDetails.aspx?cid=12337

popvisitor.

Nov 14, 2013
You have no point here, Oily.

A gun beats a stick in the USA.

A gun beats a stick in Canada

A gun beats a stick in the D.R. and I think the Guy who went after a pair of gunmen with a stick acted foolishly and could have gotten everybody shot up.

Here's a question for you, Oily. Have you every been in combat? I'm guessing no because you seem to have a tendency to applaud foolish behavior under fire. While I too hope for the best for the victim and hope that the criminals are dealt with properly I disagree with you that the best course of action was taken in this instance.

Now you can go all ballistic and call me out my name and try your best to be insulting but the fact remains as clear as day that a Man who charges a pair of gunmen can expect to be shot and may very likely get someone else hurt as well because of his bone headed action and there's really nothing on this planet or any other that you can say or do to change that fact.

I was under the impression that the Canadian was unaware the intruders were armed until after he started trying to hit a home run with one of them?

Camden Tom

Bronze
Dec 1, 2002
If I were living in Europe or a country that is majority White, and 34 Blacks or African Americans had been whacked in under four years, you can be rest assured I would not be living there nor would I be vacationing there. I mean how much more obvious can it get?
34 people get murdered (mostly blacks) every two weeks in Chicago. Just sayin'