Motoconcho killed in Cabarete

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006
Here we go again, just one word of truth regarding the disrespectful behaviour when non-US expats die, and one is automaticly labaled as an anti-american by a narrowminded retard with an halfopen drooling mouth. I was expecting something like this, so thank you.

I bet you have an "I-travel-alone" card around your neck when on airports.

If i had so much against the people from the US, then i would shoot myself in the foot, i have an extended family over there. Now go and take your bloodpressure medicine.

actually, Rattus, the issue is that SOME Americans see themselves to be exceptional creatures, living in a stratosphere above other people, who are just mere mortals. generally speaking, the qualities they think they possess, which germinate these misconceptions, is never manifest for all others to see. it is better to think about the decent Americans who feel sympathy in these tragic affairs, than to complicate you life with an exchange of words with knuckle draggers.

It's been my experience that the one who knows he's lost the argument is the one who starts tossing around silly insults. If you can't make your point reasonably, then dehumanize.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
It's been my experience that the one who knows he's lost the argument is the one who starts tossing around silly insults. If you can't make your point reasonably, then dehumanize.

actually, i was making no argument, neither was i debating anyone, so i am in no position to lose anything. this is just a case of divergent viewpoints, which should not elicit a debate. if you think it is acceptable for a foreigner living in someone's country to see the citizens as worthless and disposable creatures, be my guest. i would never attempt to change your mind. this is not like counseling you against running stop signs; socialization is fundamental.

PaGuyinDr

Sep 2, 2013
Not to disrespect the initial intent of the OP who was relating the news of a tragic event ( and it is..... When a life is cut shirt, it is always a tragedy ) and not to interrupt this thread, But I have to say that I am continuously fascinated by the spirited debates (name calling aside ), the well articulated opinions, and may I dare say the well thought out... Almost philosophical arguments that "go down" here on DR 1.

Now let's get back to the action, rattus rattus I think it's your turn......

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Not to disrespect the initial intent of the OP who was relating the news of a tragic event ( and it is..... When a life is cut shirt, it is always a tragedy ) and not to interrupt this thread, But I have to say that I am continuously fascinated by the spirited debates (name calling aside ), the well articulated opinions, and may I dare say the well thought out... Almost philosophical arguments that "go down" here on DR 1.

Now let's get back to the action, rattus rattus I think it's your turn......

i am struggling mightily to decipher whether or not you are being sarcastic...

tommeyers

On Vacation!
Jan 2, 2012
I live in Santiago
Don't waste your time. I agree with your position of not attempting to change anyone's mind. i am disappointed that others humans can be so callus as demonstrated by the some of the preceeding but, i know that i can only judge myself. My solution, i don't associate with others who have such different views than I have and i evaluate only my actions.

jojo2130

May 30, 2005
Anyone know this French man (Maxime Enmanuel Stephane Bouchez, residente en Cabarete) involved in this accident which killed a motoconcho driver. It took place directly in front of Ocean One/Banco Santa Cruz:

UN MUERTO EN LAMENTABLE ACCIDENTE EN CABARETE (IM?GENES MUY FUERTE)

Frank , is that the man that the "watchymen" at Ocean one trusted to send for the tourists there? They vouched for him and said he was honest and trustworthy? We were there for a week and it seems to me that it is he. His name was Jean if I recall correctly as well. If it is him, he had the full trust of the security there and was right on on his service . Deepest sympathies to he and his family and my heart goes out to those children. I have 2 and its my biggest fear !

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Frank , is that the man that the "watchymen" at Ocean one trusted to send for the tourists there? They vouched for him and said he was honest and trustworthy? We were there for a week and it seems to me that it is he. His name was Jean if I recall correctly as well. If it is him, he had the full trust of the security there and was right on on his service . Deepest sympathies to he and his family and my heart goes out to those children. I have 2 and its my biggest fear !

I don't know, but Johnny just came by O'shay's and told me that a good friend of Louis (the man who died)--gave Louis's family her only good sheets for the coffin so that Louis could be buried in nice sheets.

Such is the life of poor people...that someone as equally as poor--if not more poor--gives up their best sheets to line the coffin with.

Who among us can possibly relate to this way of life.

Frank

jojo2130

May 30, 2005
I don't know, but Johnny just came by O'shay's and told me that a good friend of Louis (the man who died)--gave Louis's family her only good sheets for the coffin so that Louis could be buried in nice sheets.

Such is the life of poor people...that someone as equally as poor--if not more poor--gives up their best sheets to line the coffin with.

Frank

Okay I know some people there and will ask.
I Agree , I admire how so many try and many succeed in leading their lives with as much
dignity as they can muster up. I for one, have the utmost respect for most (not all) . Similar to people from every other ethnicity, country, or financial status. There are good and bad amongst all and none should be judged or pigeon holed . May he rest in peace and I only hope his children will be okay and have some support within the Haitian community there .

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Don't waste your time. I agree with your position of not attempting to change anyone's mind. i am disappointed that others humans can be so callus as demonstrated by the some of the preceeding but, i know that i can only judge myself. My solution, i don't associate with others who have such different views than I have and i evaluate only my actions.

thank you. one needs to know which fights to pick. changing dispositions is not one of the ones you should select.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010

Frank

well, wierdscott might relate, but don't look to him to give any bedsheets if they cost more than 500 pesos.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
gave Louis's family her only good sheets for the coffin so that Louis could be buried in nice sheets.

no one? what good does a sheet do to a dead man? and how does it help the living? do they worry more about what to line the coffin with than the death itself?

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
no one? what good does a sheet do to a dead man? and how does it help the living? do they worry more about what to line the coffin with than the death itself?

it's culture, dv8. it might sound strange, even inexplicable to you. to others, it has very meaningful symbolism.

sabra

Jun 16, 2007
it's culture, dv8. it might sound strange, even inexplicable to you. to others, it has very meaningful symbolism.

International Funeral Customs

"• In Haiti, family members are responsible for much of the hands-on funeral planning, including preparing and dressing the body for burial. Displays of grief may be set aside until all the possessions of the deceased have been moved out of the home."

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Just observing these careless drivers disregard so many of the basic rules of the road. They are a danger to themselves and innocent people on the road. I wonder what the mortality rate for these guys

the mortality rate is among the highest in the world. these guys are among the worst drivers on the planet. they are indisciplined, disorderly, and dangerous.

how does any of that translate to a conclusion that their lives are only worth 500 pesos?

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Gorgon, it's your own fault that people you know got killed by Americans.
If you drove on the "RIGHT" side of the road in Jamaica it would never have happened!!

"Paul", as a Vietnam "VET", I CAN ATTEST TO THE FACT THAT, "Napalm" sticks to both "Children, AND Adults!!!!
The goal in War is NOT to"Die For Your Country", but to make the "Other Guy", Die For HIS!!!!!

It's called,"Gallows Humor", and I Love IT!!!!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

ps., Gorgon, your "Pseudo Intellectualism" is showing!!!
AND, thanks for your description of me!
"SPOT ON"!!!!!!!
"Jerk THAT"!!!!!

Gallows humour has it's time and place. After the SAR Techs( Search and Rescue ) guys came back from having to cut a body out of a mangled aircraft, or pick up the pieces...etc they always had two de-briefs, an official one and an unofficial one where there was plenty of gallows humour. This was part of the distressing.
Anyways it tragic for the family of the poor guy that got killed.

jmnorr

Nov 22, 2012
Deepest sympathies to the family left behind. Other cultures traditions should not need to be understood just respected.