Pico Duarte

tmnyc

Oct 19, 2006
Suggest you go in an off month. We went in October and had the camp site practically to ourselves. It fits about 100 people, and we were just our group of about 15 and then two or three others.

Be careful in what off-month you go. February and March are the driest. Some months are impassable or closed due to very deep mud/slides.

During some of the wetter months even mules will give up, and are left abandoned.
33el75y.jpg

tmnyc

Oct 19, 2006
Sleeping bag for 0 degree temperature. (Celsius)

You take your sleeping bag and then lay it down inside the camping facility, which is better than the tent. There are rustic bathrooms there, too. If your friends are bringing tents, for camping out, then you need a tent that can keep you warm with 0 C.

Concur with sleeping bag and the relatively new camping facility (Caseta del Parque) at "La Compartici?n".

5xoqp2.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:

tmnyc

Oct 19, 2006
So does anyone know off hand what the altitude is at the top? I had trouble breathing in Mexico city due to altitude. Thanks Der Fish

Derfish here are the distances and altitudes of one of the official trailheads:

2mq94qg.jpg

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
10, 000 get is high. The problem is what do you do if you start having chest pains up there. I am a life long exerciser and I found climbing up at 10, 000 feet difficult. Some are more sensitive to elevation than others. For myself I would not undertake anything like this without being absolutely certain I could do it before hand. Be sure and let us know how it turns out. Good luck

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
With climate being volatile, there are no longer any DRY or WET months. It is best to check the weather reports for the area prior to heading out there. Under no circumstances head out to Pico Duarte if it has been raining intensely, and check if there has been also sunshine if it has been raining. Better to change your dates. But seriously consider avoiding the peak times in Easter and January. Those dates were chosen because of long weekends and supposedly DRY times, but checking for the weather is a better bet. And I mean the local weather reports (Onamet - Oficina Nacional de Meteorolog?a - Rep?blica Dominicana), not the ones from international services online.

Lucille

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
Dress for Holland in winter!
I hear it is very cold at the top.
About half way up you will be thinking, "WTF" was I THINKING about!!!!!!!!
Dutch people and mountains don't match!!!!!
Can you say, "My Legs Are KILLING ME"?????
AND, you will have to listen to your wife as well! :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:
Stay home and look at the pictures when they get back!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

sent from the armchair in my livingroom

LOL....Criss you always make me laugh...:laugh:
Thank You....Lucille

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Well, we had our planning and explanation meeting tonight, it seems I cannot go back anymore, I'm supposed to join. We are supposed to walk up Resoli in Najayo this weekend to have an idea what's walking up, but the stories of those that went to Pico Duarte several times tell me it's not a piece of cake. 'Sobrevivir', 'el cuerpo humano puede mucho m?s de lo que te imaginas', etc.

I'm supposed to turn 39 in April.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
On the pursuit

PJT's better half is on the pursuit to go to Pico Duarte. She would like to go with someone from the Punta Cana area who is also interested.

Please send a PM if attracted to this.

Regards,

PJT

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Mauricio, if they want you to join right away, it could be a "^" (That's Supposed to be a "Pyramid") scheme??????? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Getting closer....still planning to go. It seems my shape is a little better than I thought, I ran 4.5 km three consecutive days last week. Shouldn't have done that though, but at least I could run them without stopping.

Buying sleeping bag, camel bags, lycra. Anyone has a small portable tent he/she wants to sell?

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Any tent will not do. You are going to have to deal with temperatures close to zero. You need to get a tent that can isolate you from that kind of weather. You will not be camping out on a beach. You also need a sleeping bag made for low temperatures.

Again, Pico Duarte can be an enlightening experience or days of misery.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Any tent will not do. You are going to have to deal with temperatures close to zero. You need to get a tent that can isolate you from that kind of weather. You will not be camping out on a beach. You also need a sleeping bag made for low temperatures.

Again, Pico Duarte can be an enlightening experience or days of misery.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Yes, I know. It needs to be a cold weather tent. The sleeping bag I have is supposed to be for cold weather and the one I will buy for my wife will be for -6 and up.

We might sleep in the barracks instead of bringing a tent though, the tent would be to not encounter any mice or rats while sleeping.

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
Mauricio,

You are light and can go up and down in the usual 3 days.

Make sure:

1. There is at least a mule for every two participants of the group.

2. There are at least 3 guides in case the group breaks up

3. The food is sufficient for 4 days so you'll have one reserve

4. Go running; about 10K three times a week should do it

5. To pack;
a. two pair of running shorts these should be good during the day,
b. two pair of long running pants in case you need to walk in the dark
c. a few t-shirts, at least one long sleeved, again for the dark and cold walk up the mountain
d. proven, sturdy, comfortable and broken in trail shoes, I took my off-road running shoes, (bring an extra pair)
e. sun screen and a hat
f. water desinfectant drops (there is water along the track, I preferred to desinfect it with drops); drink a lot of water even when not thirsty
g. peanut butter and energy biscuits; take one every hour
h. try maintaining a fixed walking schedule; 5 mins walking; 1 min break and a 10 min break at the end of each hour to refuel.
i. sleeping bag and a small tent; I made the mistake of using an emergency shelter bag; it was cold

As I told you I did the trip in 2 days; but we needed to make a run for it down the mountains on the second day.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Leaving tomorrow at 3.45 from the capital. My wife had to decide not to join for an unexpected but in itself joyful reason....so I'm going 'alone' (with 26 others). If I'm not posting anymore after sunday please start searching for me!!!

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Are you going to be a "Papi" again????
And don't say we didn't warn you!
There are no "Montanas" in Holland for a reason!
CCCCCCCCCCC

Apparently....

I walked up 'Resoli' last saturday and came down running (well about 1/3 of the way). Today is the first day I can walk normal again.