Pico Duarte

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Leaving tomorrow at 3.45 from the capital. My wife had to decide not to join for an unexpected but in itself joyful reason....so I'm going 'alone' (with 26 others). If I'm not posting anymore after sunday please start searching for me!!!

Did your wife take out life insurance on you lately?

Billp

Feb 2, 2013
ok, looks like about 23km one way and maybe a 2900m altitude gain at most. I'm 56. I have buddies who could not do this, I have buddies who would do this as a day trip. Granted, we did a bunch of climbing in the Canadian Rockies. Best advice - trust your body. If you hurt, not uncomfortable but actually hurt - STOP. Zero is easy to sleep in. Actually way better than +25. No worries there. Stay hydrated and enjoy the trip. Walk when you are walking, look when you are looking and take heaps of photos.

Bottom line - trust what your body tells you and above all - have fun

Billp

Feb 2, 2013
ok, looks like about 23km one way and maybe a 2900m altitude gain at most. I'm 56. I have buddies who could not do this, I have buddies who would do this as a day trip. Granted, we did a bunch of climbing in the Canadian Rockies. Best advice - trust your body. If you hurt, not uncomfortable but actually hurt - STOP. Zero is easy to sleep in. Actually way better than +25. No worries there. Stay hydrated and enjoy the trip. Walk when you are walking, look when you are looking and take heaps of photos.

Bottom line - trust what your body tells you and above all - have fun

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
6C324048-F689-4DE7-B99C-76C0DEC5EC8F_zpswenezyvi.jpg
[/IMG]

Well, I'm back safe. It's in total a 2000 meter climb (3087 is the peak, but you start in Manabao, which is at about 1100 meter above sea level. First day is about a 22km climb, second day, 5 km up the peak, and 5 down, then a 4 km climb to another high point and then 1000 meter down for about 10 km to Valle del Tetero. (24km). Today 19.1 (8 up and 11 down). Total 66km. There people that go up and down in one day, but must be highly trained and 50+ can forget that unless they are superman. Take the sun in consideration during the day.

Overall, I did a lot better than I thought. Arrived at 1pm at the shelter 5 km below the peak (dead tired and not sure if I wanted to go on). We left at 6 the next morning to the peak, I arrived at 9. Started the return at 10 and was in el Valle del Tetero at 4pm. Today we left at 7 am from el Tetero and I was at la Cienaga at 11.

So...we might have zero mountains in Holland, but I couldn't let the rest of the group beat me ofcourse!

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Btw...I spent four days walking around without seeing any litter and didn't leave Dominican Republic....what about that!

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
would you do it again Mauricio?
I can't believe it myself but I started (the first day, without having arrived at the peak). "This is once and never again". Second day, after arriving at the peak: "ok, nice view, I got the picture, I won't do this again". The other people (several had gone several times) said: once you are home you'll be thinking of going again.

And yes....since I arrived back I'm thinking I would like to go again next year.

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
Well done!

It's amazing how it will bite you. The peace on the trail I found very relaxing.

Also, the view from the Pico really surprised me, as you go upslope all the time out of the base camp, to the Valle de Lilis and then up the Pico slope. Once up, you have a great view straight into Haiti.