Hola! Moving to Sosua in Oct.

amordecanada

Jul 19, 2014
I just recently retired and I am making plans to move to Sosua. I have rented a little condo for a year starting October. I plan on bringing down several household items such as a little grill, portable stereo and a 26" tv. All items will be packed in my suitcases. I'm also bringing down my bike (will be boxed up by my local bike shop). Im wondering if I will have any problems getting these items thru customs ~ if stopped what duties will I have to pay esp. on the tv. (it is an older flat screen - and will not be in a box.)
I've also read that many people are applying for residency. Do I need to do this? I am unsure if Dominican is where I want to live forever. Hence the reason I'm renting for now.
Thanks

jmnorr

Nov 22, 2012
Welcome and yes you have to apply for temporary residency after your tourist visa expires. Would talk to your consulate before you leave Canada as there are documents you will need.

You don't have to apply for residency before you come here, you can always wait to make sure you like it here but you would have to go back to Canada to get the papers you need or find a lawyer to do it here which some seem to be able to do for an extra cost of course.

Many people bring lots of stuff down and don't have problems or have to pay, depends on the mood of the Customs people I guess. You can always get a luggage porter to help you and they will help you go though quickly.

amordecanada

Jul 19, 2014
Thanks! I plan to come back to Canada next May or June for a month, so if I really like living in Sosua, I'd consider applying for residency. At this point in time, I just want to go down and discover the town and people. So far I've met some fabulous people who were very helpful (helped me find the condo) and were really fun people to hang out with. Can't wait to get back!

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Thanks! I plan to come back to Canada next May or June for a month, so if I really like living in Sosua, I'd consider applying for residency. At this point in time, I just want to go down and discover the town and people. So far I've met some fabulous people who were very helpful (helped me find the condo) and were really fun people to hang out with. Can't wait to get back!

I am not Canadian so I could be off on this but I thought you needed to spend at least half the year in Canada in order to maintain your health benefits as a Canadian citizen? Oh by the way you don't need to discover anything. In Sosua the women will discover you very quickly. Hold onto your wallet, Gringo.

May 29, 2006
You can't bring a gas grill on the plane if it's been used. I think you can bring one if it's still in the sealed factory box. An electric Foreman type grill would be handy.

There are many lists on what to bring. Good kitchen equipment is esp hard to find.

Last edited: