Las Terrenas / Samana Restaurant Suggestions

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
I am planning a weekend trip to Las Terrenas and Samana and was wondering if anyone has any recent experiences.

There is a Fishermans village in LT I believe but read that it burned down and were rebuilding.

I will be staying at the Bannister and will have dinner there and lunch at Cayo Levantado Island resort but was wondering if the Chinese restaurant is worth the stop or should I go to Play Rincon for The Beach BBQ with lobster on the grill?

Anyone know how much time it would take to drive from the heart of Samana town to Rincon beach

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
I am planning a weekend trip to Las Terrenas and Samana and was wondering if anyone has any recent experiences.

There is a Fishermans village in LT I believe but read that it burned down and were rebuilding.

I will be staying at the Bannister and will have dinner there and lunch at Cayo Levantado Island resort but was wondering if the Chinese restaurant is worth the stop or should I go to Play Rincon for The Beach BBQ with lobster on the grill?

Anyone know how much time it would take to drive from the heart of Samana town to Rincon beach

Was in LT for 4 days beginning of July and am heading there for 3 days mid august.

Tre Careveles is still my fave place even if I will never get used to dogs roaming in restaurants. For lunch I dig mojitos.

I am picky when it comes to pizza but we found a place in fishermans village that we liked. We ate there three times in 4 days for pizza and pasta. La Vita E Bella. The owner seems to always be around and his dominican wife is friendly and service is good.

In town there is a place called Hispaniola that we would stop at for tapas. Jamon Iberica etc. Location is not that great but a cool place.

The italian ice cream place right after cemetery when you head towards pueblo de los pescadores is not bad.

The restaurant at Alisei is always good as well.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I ate in the Chinese Restaurant in Samana last week. Like the previous poster said, used to be good. Do not recommend. If you go to Playa Rincon when you hit the beach instead of going right where all the tourists go, make a left and head to the end of the beach. There you will find a river opposite the ocean. There is a guy with a Dominican Gondola that will take you to a great swimming spot to cool off.

Also the fat lady cooking under the blue tent has the best fresh fish around and knows how to cook them.

Form Samana about 20 minutes to the road which is on your left. And another 15 minutes to the beach. They did some work on the road and it is a lot better. Paved most of the way.

If you want to have great food by a French Chef and a view that is the best in the Island go here.

EL MONTE AZUL - Pierre et Vanina This is before Las Galeras, but take a taxi if he will go there. It is on top of a mountain and really rough terrain getting there. But well worth the effort.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaura...leras_Samana_Province_Dominican_Republic.html

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Where's LTSTEVE when you need him! :)

I am here. I havn't found much in the way of restaurants in Samana City. There is also Playa Valle which is a little closer to where you are. Take the main road heading out of town towards Las Galeras and go up the winding hill.
When you get to the top of the hill where the roads starts to flatten out you will see a sign on your left for Playa Valle. It is a smaller version of Playa Rincon. It is paved about half way and on the other half parts are rough. The kicker is when you are about 1mile from the beach you have to drive across a river that is usually less than a foot deep and than head to the beach. There are restaurants selling drink and food. If you order fish ask how much before hand otherwise they will over charge you. It is very picturesque with mountain framing the sea.

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
No need to drive all the way to El Valle just for some local fish. In the town of Samana, you have La Taberna. Down the street is a new place, named something like Barca Azul. Right outside of town you can eat at Puerto Bahia, where you will find three restaurants. If you head toward Las Galeras, you can also eat at Vista Mar and enjoy the view. Someone already mentioned El Monte Azul, but I will mention it again since it is so good. If you have an SUV, El Cabito is always great with an awesome view.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
Thanks everyone as this is all great info and can make some plans but I don't know if I want to cross any rivers in a rental as I might end up owning the vehicle.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Thanks everyone as this is all great info and can make some plans but I don't know if I want to cross any rivers in a rental as I might end up owning the vehicle.

Where is your sense of adventure? Actually if you are going to go into Las Terrenas go a little further to Coson and Luis' Restaunt which is located on the beach. Great location. You can take a walk or swim while waiting for your lunch. Everything from Lobster to chicken is grilled and the meal comes with salad, rice and beans and french fries. It is worth the ride. This is a favorite of locals and gringos alike. Take the new highway out of Las Terrenas and turn off to the right towards the beach(before you pass the water filtration plant up on the hill on your left) Follow this road until you cross a small cement bridge and before the road makes a sharp left you will see a small sign for Luis' on your right. Go up the driveway until you come to into a clearing where you will see the restaurant. Great place.