Strong Rumour ?Dog Poisoning Tomorrow Morning 12th Aug Sosua Beach

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I was bitten by one of these "watch dogs" walking along the beach in the early evening. I believe I scared the animal as I tend to
walk a little faster at night..
I went straight over to CMC to have my leg looked at. They told me if I break out in a high fever or start to experience a lot
of pain around the wound to come back and they'd give me a shot. Needless to say I survived without needing the shot.

Poisoning these dogs should do wonders for Sosua's reputation as a family friendly vacation spot. Can you imagine the
look on the tourist faces as the dumpster on wheels passes by with a trailer dump full of dead dogs? Why not hire some of
the other animals running about the beach to round up dogs and re-locate them to a new area?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
it's actually quite rare for those beach dogs to bite, unless provoked/attacked/scared. so it makes sense that the one who bit you was accidentally spooked by you. i think many europeans and americans have lots of sympathy for those animals and would rather see them spayed and vaccinated but still around, rather than killed.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
I was bitten by one of these "watch dogs" walking along the beach in the early evening. I believe I scared the animal as I tend to
walk a little faster at night..
I went straight over to CMC to have my leg looked at. They told me if I break out in a high fever or start to experience a lot
of pain around the wound to come back and they'd give me a shot. Needless to say I survived without needing the shot.

Poisoning these dogs should do wonders for Sosua's reputation as a family friendly vacation spot. Can you imagine the
look on the tourist faces as the dumpster on wheels passes by with a trailer dump full of dead dogs? Why not hire some of
the other animals running about the beach to round up dogs and re-locate them to a new area?

Call that hiding the problem. Just make sure u dont relocate them near me, thank u very much.

Rustxko

Aug 3, 2014
The beach dogs have never bothered me. I actually don't recall seeing an excessive amount of strays at Playa Sosua. Just a couple here and there. I've been to other places where locals and tourist fed them more freely.

Judith Hogg

Mar 19, 2007
Sosua Beach and the threat to the local dogs

Today in a meeting on Sosua Beach, the head of the Beach Association met with concerned members of the Public and with Bar and restaurant owners who own dogs, all concerned about the possible killing off of the Sosua Beach Dogs ( 7 in total)

These Beach Dogs are looked after by both AAAS and Dogs & Cats of Sosua, with Miriam Willemsz, visiting them on a daily basis to ensure they are being well provided for and causing no harm. The dogs have all been neutered, vaccinated, treated regularly for ticks and fleas and very healthy.
Everyone who knows these dogs knows that they are well behaved, not vicious and welcoming to everyone.
It seems that the Beach Association is worried that with the arrival of Tour operators and Cruise Ship organizers, they will object to the dogs being on this beautiful beach. What seems to escape their attention is that these dogs cause no harm to anyone and for visitors from abroad, missing their own dogs, they are perfect ambassadors for our lovely island.
As a one-time visitor I know too well that the first thing a dog lover does (and this applies to most visitors) is to pet a friendly dog and be comforted that they obviously have a good home with the community.
The case was put to the Beach representative who now will organize a further meeting next week, bringing in Tourism and relevant local committees that wish to have a say. Naturally the public will be there in force to put their case.

It will be a great shame if short shortsightedness and a lack of understanding as to what the visitor finds attractive, will be used to harm these wonderful creatures.
It will be a great shame too, if the Cruise Line passengers and the tourists visiting here hear how they are the reason that these dogs may be put to death.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Sosua News Re Beach Dogs

Wednesday afternoon, in a meeting on Sos?a Beach, the head of the Beach Association met with concerned members of the Public and with Bar and restaurant owners who own dogs, all concerned about the possible killing off of the Sos?a Beach Dogs (7 in total). These Beach Dogs are looked after by both AAAS and Dogs & Cats of Sos?a, with Miriam Willemsz, visiting them on a daily basis to ensure they are being well provided for and causing no harm. The dogs have all been neutered, vaccinated, treated regularly for ticks and fleas and very healthy. Everyone who knows these dogs knows that they are well behaved, not vicious and welcoming to everyone. It seems that the Beach Association is worried that with the arrival of Tour operators and Cruise Ship organizers, they will object to the dogs being on this beautiful beach.

What seems to escape their attention is that these dogs cause no harm to anyone and for visitors from abroad, missing their own dogs, they are perfect ambassadors for our lovely island. The case was put to the Beach representative who now will organize a further meeting next week, bringing in Tourism and relevant local committees that wish to have a say. Naturally the public will be there in force to put their case. It will be a great shame, if the Cruise Line passengers and the tourists visiting here hear how they are the reason that these dogs may be put to death. A petition is going around at present and there will be a great deal of publicity

Info and pictures: Judith Fox-Hogg

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Wednesday afternoon, in a meeting on Sos?a Beach, the head of the Beach Association met with concerned members of the Public and with Bar and restaurant owners who own dogs, all concerned about the possible killing off of the Sos?a Beach Dogs (7 in total). These Beach Dogs are looked after by both AAAS and Dogs & Cats of Sos?a, with Miriam Willemsz, visiting them on a daily basis to ensure they are being well provided for and causing no harm. The dogs have all been neutered, vaccinated, treated regularly for ticks and fleas and very healthy. Everyone who knows these dogs knows that they are well behaved, not vicious and welcoming to everyone. It seems that the Beach Association is worried that with the arrival of Tour operators and Cruise Ship organizers, they will object to the dogs being on this beautiful beach.

What seems to escape their attention is that these dogs cause no harm to anyone and for visitors from abroad, missing their own dogs, they are perfect ambassadors for our lovely island. The case was put to the Beach representative who now will organize a further meeting next week, bringing in Tourism and relevant local committees that wish to have a say. Naturally the public will be there in force to put their case. It will be a great shame, if the Cruise Line passengers and the tourists visiting here hear how they are the reason that these dogs may be put to death. A petition is going around at present and there will be a great deal of publicity

Info and pictures: Judith Fox-Hogg

are there really people in Sosua who expect the cruise passengers to come there in any meaningful numbers?

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Whenever we go on Vacay we love seeing the stray dogs/cats on the beaches etc... Do most tourists mind the doggies?

Well, I am part of the opposite camp. I am bothered by dogs, I don't go on vacations to lay on the beach with dogs nor to be barked at. Plus, I have young kids and my 5 yr old daughter is scared of bigger dogs, so she runs (even though I told her a 1000 times not to do so) and one almost bit my daughter on my last trip. Thankfully, a Dominican kicked the damn dog as he was about to. I don't wish them to be killed either, but the lesser the better.

corsair74

Bronze
Jul 3, 2006
Well, I am part of the opposite camp. I am bothered by dogs, I don't go on vacations to lay on the beach with dogs nor to be barked at. Plus, I have young kids and my 5 yr old daughter is scared of bigger dogs, so she runs (even though I told her a 1000 times not to do so) and one almost bit my daughter on my last trip. Thankfully, a Dominican kicked the damn dog as he was about to. I don't wish them to be killed either, but the lesser the better.

I personally love dogs. And I am opposed to poisoning them (how cruel :eek:gre:). But having said that, IMO, a bunch of dogs on the beach means turds on the beach. And this is why dogs aren't allowed on some beaches stateside.

I would be a lot less comfortable walking on the beach barefoot if I saw a bunch of stray dogs around.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i'd gather step in s**t than on a shard of glass :( i see way more of that on the beach...

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
I personally love dogs. And I am opposed to poisoning them (how cruel :eek:gre:). But having said that, IMO, a bunch of dogs on the beach means turds on the beach. And this is why dogs aren't allowed on some beaches stateside.

I would be a lot less comfortable walking on the beach barefoot if I saw a bunch of stray dogs around.

I wasn't even thinking about dog sh*t lol
Domesticated dogs I know for sure that most are vaccinated and generally healthy. Stray dogs are not, that's why I rather stay away from them. I breaks my heart to see them in this state though and hope that the DR would find a solution for them (nothing cruel of course). At the same time, I understand that they have other priorities.:ermm:

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Is it too much to ask that the beach be free of both? Especially if trying to attract tourist families.

On one hand, foreigners righfully bash dominicans for not caring for their environment and throwing sh*t around. On the other hand, they happy to step on dog sh*t :cheeky:

Different cultures I guess :nervous:

I wasn't even thinking about dog sh*t lol
Domesticated dogs I know for sure that most are vaccinated and generally healthy. Stray dogs are not, that's why I rather stay away from them. I breaks my heart to see them in this state though and hope that the DR would find a solution for them (nothing cruel of course). At the same time, I understand that they have other priorities.:ermm:

The beach dogs in Sosua are vaccinated and healthy b/c AAAS, DCDR and others take care of them.

I have never once seen dog **** on the beach.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
The beach dogs in Sosua are vaccinated and healthy b/c AAAS, DCDR and others take care of them.

I have never once seen dog **** on the beach.

Good to know but is it the case on the entire island ? Cause in LT, many stray and beach dogs look terrible. I did notice that some have a yellow tag on their ears and may be taken care of by similar organization. Again, I don't really think they are a problem, but I could do without them since I don't share the eagerness to be laying/playing on the beach with dogs (healthy or not).