Strong Rumour ?Dog Poisoning Tomorrow Morning 12th Aug Sosua Beach

Good to know but is it the case on the entire island ? Cause in LT, many stray and beach dogs look terrible. Some have noticed have a yellow tag on their ear and may be taken care of by similar organization. Again, I don't really think they are a problem, but I could do without them.

I don't know about the rest of the Island but hopefully someone is doing the same thing in LT and other places :)

We are over the top crazy about dogs so while we LOVE them I can see how some people may be annoyed or scared by the beach furries!

texan

Apr 1, 2014
are there really people in Sosua who expect the cruise passengers to come there in any meaningful numbers?

They will do some type of excursion when the cruise ship comes to port. I think it depends how long they are here, the cost, and other options. If would recommend the 27 waterfalls, Sosua beach, Cabarete beach/bars or the four wheelers. If time is limited then the Malecon in Puerto Plata. But Sosua beach is a nice looking beach. If they can provide nice transportation, have a close place to park and have clean restrooms then I think Sosua beach is an option.

With social media they need to be ready for cruise passengers. People will share their experience if it is great, good, bad or terrible. On the days there is a cruise ship it could be an influx of people. A lot of future cruise passenger will do reach before coming to port.

As far as stray dogs a lot of people love animals and don't mind them at all. A lot of other people like animals but think dogs should be on a leash in a public place. I don't think many tourist are going to think all the beach dogs have had all their shots and do not have fleas, ticks, etc. It would help if they had a collar and some way to tell that they had all their shots.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Is it too much to ask that the beach be free of both? Especially if trying to attract tourist families.

i wish. but sadly, it is not so. like harley i have not seen dog s**t yet but i see trash all the time.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
Dogs? Doms bother me more on the beach than any dogs. Coming up and snooping around me, sniffing around, trying to sell me some illegally harvested oceanware or plastic band with my name on. Weed, coke, whores, tree bark in bottles (no I don't believe, some of you guys will believe anything if a guy without shoes is selling it), money...................... I'd much rather they poisoned the 2 legged dogs and left my 4 legged buddies to play with nothing but good intentions.

I rarely go to the beach, but almost always end up having an argument when I do.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
I dont normally mind vendors but on Sosua beach they are one f****g pain in the ass, every two minutes somebody comes up to you. Let me enjoy the damn beach for crying out loud, I dont even respond anymore, I just look the other way but it really makes me wanna go somewhere else. Only reason I go is the jerk chicken from the Jamaican guy. Man that tastes good.

corsair74

Bronze
Jul 3, 2006
The beach dogs in Sosua are vaccinated and healthy b/c AAAS, DCDR and others take care of them.

I have never once seen dog **** on the beach.

But can you really expect visiting tourist families to know this? We're talking about perception here. And I believe that this is what the authorities are concerned with.

These must be some awfully ultra-polite and eco-conscious dogs. Most stray dogs don't really care where they poop. Do these organizations looking after the dog's medical needs clean up after them as well? Or do they train them to poop elsewhere?

But can you really expect visiting tourist families to know this? We're talking about perception here. And I believe that this is what the authorities are concerned with.

These must be some awfully ultra-polite and eco-conscious dogs. Most stray dogs don't really care where they poop. Do these organizations looking after the dog's medical needs clean up after them as well? Or do they train them to poop elsewhere?

Whenever I travel to poor countries like this I know there will be strays around so don't most tourists already know that?
I have no idea of their poop patterns but I don't see poop on beaches and I was surprised by this since there are dogs around. I rarely see dog poop anywhere here, saw it more back home.

Authorities really have SO MUCH MORE to be concerned with in this Country!!!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i think there is a big chance that poop gets consumed by other dogs. just a thought.

corsair74

Bronze
Jul 3, 2006
Whenever I travel to poor countries like this I know there will be strays around so don't most tourists already know that?

Er...no. A lot of them, in fact, don't expect to see a bunch of stray dogs on the beach. Not the type of tourist the authorities want to attract. I've been to a few beaches in a few developing countries. And I can tell you that the ones that cater to tourist families don't have a bunch of stray dogs running around. The authorities of said countries make sure of that. And while I don't agree with their methods, it seems that those who want to attract a different sort of tourist to Sosua are attempting to do just that.

Like I said, I love dogs. But if I had children, a beach with a bunch of stray dogs running around wouldn't be my first choice for a family outing. And I'm pretty sure that I'm in the majority with that sentiment. Do you think the forces behind this move to revamp Sosua aren't aware of this?

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Dogs? Doms bother me more on the beach than any dogs. Coming up and snooping around me, sniffing around, trying to sell me some illegally harvested oceanware or plastic band with my name on. Weed, coke, whores, tree bark in bottles (no I don't believe, some of you guys will believe anything if a guy without shoes is selling it), money...................... I'd much rather they poisoned the 2 legged dogs and left my 4 legged buddies to play with nothing but good intentions.

I rarely go to the beach, but almost always end up having an argument when I do.

Being morena, very few vendors approach me (Besides, the beach I go to, don't have any). So, Dominicans don't bother me on the beach. I just wished they pay closer attention to their kids in the water (had to grab a 2 year old who had ventured a little too far the other day while the mom was drinking :() and pick up their trash as they leave.

I don't dislike dogs but i don't share the passion you have for them (to each its own), nor I am on the beach to play with dogs, especially when I have a little one who is scared of dogs not resembling chihuahua. Thankfully, the beach I go to do not have many dogs running around, so that I don't consider to be a problem.

aname4me

Jun 18, 2011
worried that with the arrival of Tour operators and Cruise Ship organizers....

How many times is this going to be dragged out!

It seems that if you don't like something about the present day Sosua, you state it publicly and include a reference to the “Cruise Ship” as justification for it.

A year before a ship arrives, you suggest getting rid of (killing) Beach Dogs.
You don't think there are any other dogs to move into the vacuum?
There is nobody out there (well, no “good” people) that likes these Dogs?

Two years before a ship arrives you suggest getting rid of (hopefully not killing) all the Chicas.
You don't think there are any other Chicas to move into the vacuum?
There is nobody out there (well no “good” people) that likes these Chicas?

The Dogs choose to live on the Beach because it allows them an improved lifestyle.
Same for the Chicas.

To get the Dogs (present and future) off the Beach you must change the environment.
No feeding them, no petting them.
Same for the Chicas.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009

Actually, truly stray/wild dogs will find long grass or a bush or something to go poop. It is rare that you will see poop in the street in DR and when you do it is usually by one of the (ironically) decent owners who walk their dogs on a leash, yet fail to clean up the poop. You've got it all backwards, it is usually semi domesticated types that have been half arsed trained, maybe walked on a leash for a few months (or locked up in a yard) and so pooping on the street (contrete) where they are walked (or live) is normal, but then managed to get away, taking these unnatural habits with him/her.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
I don't dislike dogs but i don't share the passion you have for them (to each its own)

It does not have to be dogs, I feel the same about anything that lives in innocence, and means no harm. Nothing that is utterly innocent deserves to suffer or die to accommodate our recreational preferences, there's enough room for all of us.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
It does not have to be dogs, I feel the same about anything that lives in innocence, and means no harm. Nothing that is utterly innocent deserves to suffer or die to accommodate our recreational preferences, there's enough room for all of us.

Now we agree :)

Maxie143

Jun 3, 2010
Actually one of my favorite pass times on the beach is watching these pups having fun and just enjoying the day. I think the garbage is the larger issue, especially bottles laying on the beach floor. Can't remember how many times I have retrieved them so no one would get seriously hurt.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Actually, truly stray/wild dogs will find long grass or a bush or something to go poop. It is rare that you will see poop in the street in DR and when you do it is usually by one of the (ironically) decent owners who walk their dogs on a leash, yet fail to clean up the poop. You've got it all backwards, it is usually semi domesticated types that have been half arsed trained, maybe walked on a leash for a few months (or locked up in a yard) and so pooping on the street (contrete) where they are walked (or live) is normal, but then managed to get away, taking these unnatural habits with him/her.

Makes sense. Would u poop next to ure bed or kitchen ???

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Beach Dogs and Influence on tourism.

The Team have been asked to post this on behalf of AAASosua and thanks to Coyote2 for starting this !

animals_dominican_republic_logo_zps93adb8e3.jpg

Visiting Travel Agents Complain about Sosua Beach Dogs, Garbage

Influence on likelihood of sending tourists

CIMG4907_zps69be347c.jpg

As resident of the North Coast of the Dominican Republic, whether Dominican, Haitian or ex-pat, we should each do our part to keep the area as garbage-free as possible. This does not include dogs on the beach, and there is a need to educate travel agents about the value of these dogs when they visit. This article provides the background to enable every resident to be able to help with that education process.

CIMG4908_zps6d8f0b9d.jpg

What most people don’t realize is that the small group of dogs that inhabit Sosua Beach act as ambassadors to visitors to the North Coast of the DR.
First-time visitors may not be aware of this, but anyone who has lived here or visited here in the past understands what a gift these dogs are to the beach. They also represent a collaborative effort with Rescue Groups, Local Businesses and private residents.

CIMG4910_zpsf75dee8c.jpg

Animal overpopulation is a worldwide problem. Even in the most affluent regions, keeping areas free of roaming dogs/cats carries a huge price tag. Here in the DR, where many things need attention, the success of the efforts of dedicated people with years of commitment to establishing a safe and healthy free roaming group of dogs is a true testament to the benefits of a trap/neuter/release program. Getting “rid” of the dogs does not work anywhere.
If people were more aware of what this small healthy population really represents, they would never put them in the same sentence as “garbage.”

CIMG4911_zps5cc789f8.jpg

A country is often judged by how it treats its animals. Through substantial efforts by many and the current agreement on the part of the government not to poison animals in this area and just let them be, the Sosua area has become a model for other areas who share the animal overpopulation problem.
Consistent monitoring and free spay/neuter/vaccine services continue to be available to local pet owners who cannot afford to go to a veterinarian. As a result, this small group of dogs can live safely on the beach without having to continually defend their territory from strays that are dumped by desperate people who cannot afford to take care of multiple pets and whose only recourse is to “take them somewhere else.”

CIMG4912_zps0b3d4a9b.jpg

There are several groups in this area who offer these services and will continue to do so. They also help with rescue/rehoming and adoption as they can. Support of these groups is important so they can continue to offer services. Many have dogs for adoption, so please check them out when you are looking for a pet. The best dog for this country is a “native” dog. Check local websites and you will see that these dogs are the safest and most efficient watchmen available. Any owner will attest to the loyalty of these dogs.

CIMG4916_zps4f714238.jpg

Killing animals or removing them from an area creates a void which nature will fill. If we remove a safe group that protects an area from unwanted or diseased animals, we not only do a disservice to the wonderful Dominican dog, who always does his best, but we are also opening the door to other unwanted environmental issues.
There is a need to educate travel agents on these realities. As to the garbage … I agree, but that is a different problem.

Judy Liggio President AAASosua

CIMG4917_zps9fc275af.jpg

Last edited: