Rising Road Tolls

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Saw notices posted on the 3 toll booths on the 'Samana' toll road from Las Americas which I read as indicating increased tolls from 20th January.......about a 3% increase........3rd one 204rd to 210rd if I read correctly.

No such notice on the Las Terrenas toll booth and the attendant knew nothing of an increase.

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
they will probably increase it so much that the dom. people will beat the toll booths with sticks.....and they will give up on them,,,

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Saw notices posted on the 3 toll booths on the 'Samana' toll road from Las Americas which I read as indicating increased tolls from 20th January.......about a 3% increase........3rd one 204rd to 210rd if I read correctly.

No such notice on the Las Terrenas toll booth and the attendant knew nothing of an increase.

The DR gov under Fernandez signed away the farm to the Columbian company that built the road. They need to continually increase tolls to keep up with the promised payments. The stretch between El Catey and LT is already outrages in price. Beautiful road but we are paying through the nose.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
My engineer friends tell me that LT stretch must have been ridiculously costly to build.
A very difficult project.

One wonders if it was worth it.

Additionally, they paved the 'old' road..... why ???

CG

Bronze
Sep 16, 2004
El Catey to Las Terrenas toll now at 526 (?) Rd$ up from 507 Rd$.

Oh... And that's each way

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Last month we went from Punta Cana to SD to Las Terranis and back to PC. Total tolls where 42USD. (1850 pesos) Complete ripoff if you ask me.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Last month we went from Punta Cana to SD to Las Terranis and back to PC. Total tolls where 42USD. (1850 pesos) Complete ripoff if you ask me.
Did you ever do the drive back when neither highway was built? I for one am happy to pay the tolls now. Yes, they are a bit excessive but the roads are 1000% better!

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Several times. No doubt the roads are better but the tolls are getting stupid.

Vinyasa

Bronze
Dec 22, 2010
www.kieranbarry.com
My engineer friends tell me that LT stretch must have been ridiculously costly to build.
A very difficult project.

One wonders if it was worth it.

Additionally, they paved the 'old' road..... why ???

One advantage of the new road is that it is much lower in altitude than the old one...this means my poor old car can make it up :)

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
is the road a heavy travelled road...used by many? nyc lin tun gets thousands cars every half hour...if the toll dont work for the dom gov...they will raise the toll higher...

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
The toll to LT is far too high for most and the alternative route via Sanchez albeit about an extra half an hour drive is often taken.

I sincerely believe that if the toll for cars was cut to say 200rd, then traffic on that road would increase by more than three fold and the gross income thus would be higher.

Even the taxi drivers and trucks bringing in fruit and veggies who enter/exit at the police checkpoint at the foot of the hills to avoid the toll......presumably paying a tip.........may think again.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
I think that the toll road from las Americas to the North Coast was something that simply had to be done ..It was crazy before when people living in the east had to drive through Santo Domingo to reach the Samana peninsula or to Cabrera and I can see that there were a lot of difficult sections in the construction and many properties that had to be bought . So it is no surprise that the cost was high and I can not understand why anyone should think that the users of this road should be subsidised . Now when it comes to the Nagua to Saman autopista, people seem to forget how bad it was in many parts and a toll road simply had to be built here also ..just as the road between la Romana and Bavaro Punta Cana simply had to be done . The tolls are on the high side for Dominicans and for those with long pockets and short arms but I would never go back to the past conditions . My concern has always been with the cambering of the las Americas to North Coast road..it is really very bad .

RGM

Jun 5, 2010
I will agree it's a small price to pay for the nice ride. And yes I have driven the old roads. Not good on the car

Fredo

Mar 17, 2013
Did you ever do the drive back when neither highway was built? I for one am happy to pay the tolls now. Yes, they are a bit excessive but the roads are 1000% better!

I second that, I have no problem paying for these roads, we actually save a ton of money/time because of them.
Consider the cost of building them.. then take in account the little money we have to pay to use them..

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
I second that, I have no problem paying for these roads, we actually save a ton of money/time because of them.
Consider the cost of building them.. then take in account the little money we have to pay to use them..

The Juan Pablo 2 highway from the airport north is a real benefit to all and saves at least 1 1/2 hours on the cross country route and is reasonable value DR wise.

The toll road to Las Terrenas is clearly over priced for the majority of users and is not benefitting the overall community of LT as it should. Taxis, 2 of the 5 daily guaguas to the capital and the other guaguas to other parts of the country all use the Sanchez road as do most regular delivery vehicles to the town. The majority of drivers travelling in and out of LT ask the question is it worth an extra 1044RD round trip to save a maximum total one hour additional driving time and several additional kilometres each way. After all the Sanchez road is scenic too and a nice challenging drive.

The road is empty for most of the time with very little traffic except at the beginning and end of weekends. A much lower toll would most likely increase traffic significantly and provide the required revenue to cover the very high financing charges agreed by the original administration to build the highway. Surely worth a trial.