Chickens and eggs, beautiful eggs!

redserge

Jan 30, 2011
personally i am not into animal husbandry. it's bad enough that i bake own bread and make cheese with further plans for hams and sausages. but my FIL has few farms in the area and occasionally we enjoy the benefits of fresh eggs, milk, meat and veggies. i've had eggs from ducks, geese, chicken and guinea. all excellent.

The more you post the more I realize that there is someone out there in your life who is very lucky to be your partner/husband/soulmate. You are living a good balanced full life. My hat is doffed to you!

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Some one gifted me 4 or 5 goose eggs, sadly no geese have hatched. Only 2 eggs left. :disappoin

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
One thing I'll bring down are a bunch of Gamma Seals. These are lids you put on food grade five gallon buckets that twist off easily

what thing in DR comes in a bucket suitable for this? apart from the paint, that is?

May 29, 2006
You are paying $13.50 each for these? How is one that much better than just popping the lid on and off?

Paying $13.50 is way too high. I paid $6 each when I bought a dozen. The lid is airtight and unscrews easily. "Popping" the standard lid off and on is a huge hassle~ they have tools to make it easier. Once you try them you'll want more. They'd also be great on boats since they would float when sealed and not leak. Just checked and they are $7.50 at Home Depot.

[video=youtube;kWxohmplrko]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWxohmplrko[/video]

May 29, 2006
what thing in DR comes in a bucket suitable for this? apart from the paint, that is?

Pickle buckets if you can find them.. Also check at store bakeries for the buckets frosting comes in. They're very common in food service. I've also seen Soy Sauce in them and instant hummus. They sell the empty buckets at Home Depot and other hardware stores in the paint dept new.

WillsonCori

Jan 28, 2015
I can assume this says a lot for the bread available in the DR...that bad ha? Bread is far too sweet here in PH. Ive made my own but its just too much work in my book.

May 29, 2006
The flour in the DR isn't very good in the bakeries. Making bread can be quite simple with the right recipe. I use to make 30-60 loaves a day by hand for a summer camp and it was about an hour or so of work using a big mixer. I don't measure anything other than the water, one cup of water for every pound of bread and about one third wheat flour to two thirds white flour. In the DR, it's using an oven in the heat I don't like..

Has anyone ever seen corn bread in the DR? I know you can buy cornmeal..

malko

Jan 12, 2013
I make sort 8f bread with corn wheat ( typicaly dominican I think.... use it also for sort of sweet tortillas ).

Once I stopped at carrefour and they had their own brand of flour ( carrefour brand ), not very expensive, less than 70 pesos. I was amazed with the results, but there again I am used to usimg blanquita so.......
This time they didnt have any, but had cibatta (?) Self raising flour ( again carrefour brand), the bread turned out great.
They also have whole flour ( pain complet in french ), they also carry levadure ( I find the dr brands worthless ).......
Everything to make me happy........ pity it is so far for me.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i only visited carrefour once and i had my eye on the flour but could not make up my mind. i guess i was pi**ed off that them frenchies have everything in french and spanish labels (har. de tri.) did not help. should everything else fail i will get a selection and see what i can do with it.

May 20, 2012
May 20, 2012
I feel compelled to share here. DDT is quite safe and it's ban was/is political. Rachael Carson was not quoting/reading the science as a scientist. Just look it up.....I, too, was taught inaccurate information in the public schools at that time. So I had to educate myself on this (and other) subjects.

"Rachel Carson sounded the initial alarm against DDT, but represented the science of DDT erroneously in her 1962 book Silent Spring. Carson wrote ?Dr. DeWitt?s now classic experiments [on quail and pheasants] have now established the fact that exposure to DDT, even when doing no observable harm to the birds, may seriously affect reproduction. Quail into whose diet DDT was introduced throughout the breeding season survived and even produced normal numbers of fertile eggs. But few of the eggs hatched.? DeWitt?s 1956 article (in Journal of Agriculture and Food Chemistry) actually yielded a very different conclusion. Quail were fed 200 parts per million of DDT in all of their food throughout the breeding season. DeWitt reports that 80% of their eggs hatched, compared with the ?control?? birds which hatched 83.9% of their eggs. Carson also omitted mention of DeWitt?s report that ?control? pheasants hatched only 57 percent of their eggs, while those that were fed high levels of DDT in all of their food for an entire year hatched more than 80% of their eggs."

Just look it up.....I, too, was taught inaccurate information in the public schools at that time. So I had to educate myself on this (and other) subjects. The below is only one of many, many refutations of her and the sad outcome of her book.

The Lies of Rachel Carson
One of the causes of thin shells is DDT. In India where it is permitted I found very thin shells. Here where it is not legal i find some thinness so I am speculating that it I'd still used. In the US thick shells.

Please describe the color of the yoke.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Levapan

... they also carry levadure ( I find the dr brands worthless )....

We only use 'levadura fresca' (Levapan), imported from Colombia for our rye bread.

Our_Brick_Oven_zpstyndocnj.jpg

donP

May 29, 2006
I used to open and throw way from a dozen to 20 a day when I did drywall work in Florida. They clean up a lot easier than paint buckets too. And yes there is a technique to opening them and the gamma sealers would be easier for certain.
Der Fish

Yes, some folks might have a concern about residuals from the drywall compound, but it's really just fancy mud. Another nice thing is they stack up over six high. They're popular with the prepper folks and Mormons. It's interesting to see what you can learn from them for tips and tricks that would be handy in the DR "off grid."

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Getting back to the OP, pulvarik is so lucky to have those fresh eggs.

We'll brake for a "Fresh Eggs" / "huevos criollo" sign any day.

malko

Jan 12, 2013
Every other lunch/breakfeast/brunch involves our backyard eggs. I like them just in and out of the pan, but we try all sorts of stuff. Peterbread/frenchbread (???), dip sliced bread in eggs then fry......hadnt had that since I was a kid.
We also try out lost of intresting batter (??), had calamar like that last night ( egg, milk, flour and garlic, dip the calamar in then fry, hmmmm).

Anyway eggs are a ingredient for lots of things, I didnt believe my wife when she used to tell me battery eggs werent the same as free range eggs, my mother and her would gang up on me so I would by the free range ones back in france ( at 3 times the price ).
Well they were both right, couldnt go back to battery ones.

malko

Jan 12, 2013
Oh and on the "price" of the hobby, it does get " expensive " ( everything is relative).
For a 100 chicken in diffrent stages of devolpment, a month:
#2 bags of whole corn ( 80 or 100 lb, cant remeber) 1050 pesos each, sometimes only 1 as we grow some corn as well.
#half a bag of alimento 1600, helps the hens to lay eggs ( cos sometimes they dont ) and also helps the chick grow up faster. 500 or 600 pesos a bag.
# a crusher, molino to break down the corn ( only full grown chicken can eat whole corn ), a 1 time investment but lots of arm work ( yeah, cos its a manual one.......).
#a couple of hundred pesos of ekectrolytes and medical pills.
#all the veggie trash and even a couple of lb of home grown habichuelas........
#plus of course the " coop", always in need of repair and cleaning, upgrading, extension......

So it kind of all adds up. The upside is frsh eggs daily and lots of chicken meat........

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Oh and on the "price" of the hobby, it does get " expensive " ( everything is relative).
For a 100 chicken in diffrent stages of devolpment, a month:
#2 bags of whole corn ( 80 or 100 lb, cant remeber) 1050 pesos each, sometimes only 1 as we grow some corn as well.
#half a bag of alimento 1600, helps the hens to lay eggs ( cos sometimes they dont ) and also helps the chick grow up faster. 500 or 600 pesos a bag.
# a crusher, molino to break down the corn ( only full grown chicken can eat whole corn ), a 1 time investment but lots of arm work ( yeah, cos its a manual one.......).
#a couple of hundred pesos of ekectrolytes and medical pills.
#all the veggie trash and even a couple of lb of home grown habichuelas........
#plus of course the " coop", always in need of repair and cleaning, upgrading, extension......

So it kind of all adds up. The upside is frsh eggs daily and lots of chicken meat........

Try getting ponedor if you want them to lay more. Alimento is to make them grow and ponedor to make them lay. They don't lay at certain times of the year, when their feathers fall out, but I can't remember when that is.

Matilda

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006

i think you will find that nothing comes cheap here. many campesinos only manage on the base of produce exchange. and them animals ain't cheap. my FIL knows exact number of cows he has, they are all accounted for. feeding, vaccinating, maintenance, it all costs money.