New fines for overstaying tourist card

Status
Not open for further replies.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Not cheaper to get legal WW, not even close!

Did they ever finalize the cost? I remember an older thread where the pricing was still somewhat up in the air, pending government folk deciding how much to overcharge....

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Probably one of the saddest posts I have ever read, so your grandkids will not have ever met their grandma.
Seeing your own flesh and blood is not worth $1,000?
Stay in your campo, glad I am not your grandson.

"I did the maths... Are you f**king kidding me ?? No way I will spend more than a 1000$ CDN for plane tickets and overstay fees to go to Qu?bec to see 2 babies... With no place to crash there, no car, no friends and only family, which BTW I ran away from ??? And the best argument of all ? I don't even like kids... No Sir, I ain't coming out of my campo..."

What do you expect? :D
Glad she is not my kid's grandma...

Did they ever finalize the cost? I remember an older thread where the pricing was still somewhat up in the air, pending government folk deciding how much to overcharge....

Well I paid 1000 us for the first year, my renewal will be $500 this year. I could do it without a lawyer of course but not living in SD and having almost no spare time makes me think a lawyer is the best idea.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
gimme the 'skinny down' price on DIY...

can't be much more than $2k.... she;s pushing that w/ the next overstay tranche

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I'm between 2.5 yrs and 3 years without going out. Would cost me 11000 pesos to exit the country.

And now my son, who's wife will have their first children (twins) in May, wants me to go and visit when the babies are born....

I did the maths... Are you f**king kidding me ?? No way I will spend more than a 1000$ CDN for plane tickets and overstay fees to go to Qu?bec to see 2 babies... With no place to crash there, no car, no friends and only family, which BTW I ran away from ??? And the best argument of all ? I don't even like kids... No Sir, I ain't coming out of my campo...

Did you run away from them or did they ask you to please leave....?

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
gimme the 'skinny down' price on DIY...

can't be much more than $2k.... she;s pushing that w/ the next overstay tranche

Might be a good idea to start a new thread instead of messing up yet another thread about overstaying charges

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
I think it was asked years ago, but now with the higher prices, wonder if you can buy a passport stamp at the Haitian border :)

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
I think it was asked years ago, but now with the higher prices, wonder if you can buy a passport stamp at the Haitian border :)

you get the stamp, but only after you paid your overstay fees. airport or landbased or waterbased border doesn't matter.
simply 1 Grand Canadian dollars is too much to see the family? well, i guess we all have differnt ties/evaluations of our own bloodline, lol. I've been with my then 3 years old daughter in germany last october and november, so she and her grandparents could meet for the first time ever, that been over 2.500.- in US Bucks for the 2 flight tickets alone, and of course worth every cent spent. btw, to get deported will come out way more expensive at the end, and to get deported without a "home" with family and a place to stay and where to get a meal after deportation, heck, if that's what some seek for.
you are aware that those long term overstay fees will not be out there for much longer, right? when the "pardon time frame" to get the papers done, is over, then long term overstaying will simply mean deportation. listening to the latest announcements on the news i do not await that such long term overstay fees will longer exist then. you will get some months to overstay, covering visitors like the snowbirds, but the rest will be cattled up and sent to their Grandkids, if they like the Granny or not doesn't matter, why should they care?
some see it expensive to do the paperwork now, but believe me, it will never ever again be as cheap as it is now, and of course you are aware that in case of deportation the government rightfully can and will take your present assents to get a little compensated for the costs of handling illegals to be deported?
long term visitors overstaying some months will never get in trouble, they are welcome. people who always live here, i do not see any reason why they do so without the proper paperwork reuired by their host country. back home they would be the first ones crying about the illegal foreigners taking their jobs away and licing on Taxpayers Money, lol.

Mike

sixsticks

Feb 28, 2011
Ha! I guess it' s a good thing Charlise won't come out of campo. Tho I hope she was being sarcastic...who would miss meeting grand babies, whatever the cost?

charlise

Bronze
Nov 1, 2012
Ha! I guess it' s a good thing Charlise won't come out of campo. Tho I hope she was being sarcastic...who would miss meeting grand babies, whatever the cost?

Exactly.. Finally one who gets it !!! That's called sarcasm and irony... But thanks anyway for the good words...

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I don't have children of my own, but I do have several "step-kids" and they had children of their own. I do not fully understand this apparent need for some grandparents to take ownership of their grand-kids, some to the extent of taking the real parents to court when visitation is denied, but I will accept that for some it's a big deal, not so much for others.

In Charlise's defense (not that she needs me defending her) it's her decision to make and if she does not see value in trekking off to the north pole far be it from me to criticize that decision.

From the comments I have read thus far, many make reference to the cost of getting out of the DR. It has been said numerous times here on DR1 and in the news reports, over the past six months or so that big change is on the way. I understand the reluctance of some to embrace change and their skepticism based on past years of non-enforcement, but do not delude yourselves into believing that the status quo will last forever.

All of the signs that are precursors to change are evident if you look for them. Increased exit fees, a renewed emphasis on possessing a return airline ticket before being allowed to board a flight to the DR, a valid cedula being needed to open and maintain a bank account, an announced amnesty/streamlined process for foreigners to get legal. As time passes, more and more restrictive changes will be implemented and before one realizes it, it will be pretty difficult to live here as many have done in the past without status.

But, to each their own. I am in the position where I get to chose to stay or go on my terms. Others will see their choice disappear in the not too distant future. Get caught living here without legal status and you'll be gone. There will be a flurry of highly publicized deportations to finally drive that message home. At that point it will be too late to avail yourself of any sort of streamlined residency process and of course the cost of residency will rise sharply as the demand for VIP residency services skyrockets when the Dominicanized foreigners finally awake from their slumber a realize that their lifestyle is truly in peril.

Charlise, if going home to see the family is not enough of a reason, find another one, to leave this country for a few days to reset your arrival stamp. If you think it's expensive now, it will be much more so shortly and potentially mucho more inconvenient too.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Is the cost of residency that expensive for many of you or does it just cut into your drinking funds too much. Using a lawyer the first time plus the expenses of translation and legalization at the Dominican consulate in Toronto was probably in the neighbourhood of $1500. We've done two renewals without a lawyer and the cost has been about $250 each time.
One of our friends here in Jarabacoa is a French Canadian women who moved here more than 25 years ago from Montreal to live with her Dominican husband. She got rid of him a long time ago, but has stayed here since. She is a permanent resident and goes back to Canada about every four or five years. Her son is a dual citizen and did his university in Canada but like his mother he hates the cold and has returned here. The only thing they miss about Montreal is the restaurants and the cheese.
I agree with CanadianGringo, very soon the overstay fees will either increase dramatically or deportations will start. Hopefully the Dominican Government will see the wisdom of creating a visa applicable for those that have property here but not residency.

charlise

Bronze
Nov 1, 2012
Thanks Cdn Gringo... But all my reasoning regarding my decisions (on residency, going to Qc, etc..) would take the equivalent of 2-3 pages to explain...

This forum is not the place to do that but let's say my reasons are logical and practical. Did a lot of questionning before deciding... There is a long story behind all that.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
No problemo, Charlise. Your family, your life, your reasons, it's not for me to judge or criticize. I was just hoping that you might consider a trip to Disney World for a day or two or if you do go home in the near future, you'd consider a visit to the DR Embassy with some paperwork.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Bob, after much consideration I have decided to attribute it to apathy. When some allow their residency or their even passports to expire, what else can it be?

But back to the topic at hand. It is going to get very expensive for long time overstayers to leave the DR. The numbers that I have been privy to suggest that some of the fees will be equal to or even exceed the cost of the airline ticket. If you have been here for several years, I'd suggest a foreign vacation to reset the clock. It's a short term fix but just might allow someone to claim that they haven't been intentionally skirting the system for years and years.

Marcion

*** Sin Bin ***
Nov 22, 2014
What if I don't have enough money to pay the overstay fine?

Will I be forced to sell my gringo body on the streets and be treated like an object?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
What if I don't have enough money to pay the overstay fine?

Will I be forced to sell my gringo body on the streets and be treated like an object?

Possibly you would be considered indigent and whatever the law says about such people would be done to you. First guess is you would be turned back by immigration and told to get the money and return.

Status
Not open for further replies.