You have until 16th June to get legal status

Status
Not open for further replies.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
my understanding is that they get carnet de mirgacion not a regular cedula.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i base on the articles i read on regularization. i have not seen them clearly mention the person will get a cedula. but let us know what your friend gets. i also know one gringo who is going though this process and he is convinced he will receive the exact same residency as folks who passed regular channels.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
my understanding on the naturalization process is that the til now long time undocumented do not get a cedula. they just get a carnet which shos that their immigrations status is Legal. from there on they can apply for a cedula like every dominican has to apply and pay for his cedula. at least that's my understanding of the whole procedure. and thats for the undocumented ones who can proof that they are born here.
foreigners who are not born in the DR, the ones who just did not ever do any paperwork, I would guess need to apply for residency then once they have the carnet which shos their immigrations status as cleared/legal.
but thats just what i interpret it, someone else may have more insight and explain the details/procedures.

Mike

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i thought this process was only to regulate current migratory status: that is admit a person A resides in DR and has been for some time and has some form of income. it's like a pardon where there are no consequences of A's prolonged undocumented stay in DR but they now have to do the residency like everyone else.

i base on the articles i read on regularization. i have not seen them clearly mention the person will get a cedula. but let us know what your friend gets. i also know one gringo who is going though this process and he is convinced he will receive the exact same residency as folks who passed regular channels.

My friend insists the same, says she has her cedula number already but waiting for the card.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
Well there is a lot confusion, one thing is apply and another thing is go over the process of verification of the documents and everything, not every body will get their residence ID at the same time, what they are giving now is a carnet wehre says that you are under the regularization plan and showing this you avoid to be deported when deportations start after Jun 15. those 300 maybe are those who completed the file when they applyed, you have the option to apply and within 30 days complete your file.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Gobierno entrega carn?s de residencia a 73 extranjeros - listindiario.com

look at this article. it says "carne de residencia". i looked at the photo, which is not really clear. still, i can see the copy the guy is holding does not look like my residency (permanent):

ipwfiv.jpg

normal residency card looks like this:

4lrejn.png

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Naturalization is for anyone who was born here in the Dominican Republic to parents who are not Dominican and do not hold
Dominican citizenship. The naturalization process is supposed to give all of the (undocumented) people who fall into this category a chance to obtain an official Dominican ID and citizenship.

The Regularization process is to document and register all of the foreigners who were not born here and have been living in the country illegally. Those who can meet a certain criteria and the requirements laid out in the regularization plan will be granted a two year temporary residency to give them time to apply through the appropriate channels to obtain a normal residency. Those who live here illegally and do not bother registering for this plan by June 16th are (supposedly) going to face possible deportation and be banned from re-entering the country for x amount of days/months/years.

This is what we (chica and I) were told by an immigration officer in Santo Domingo.

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
You can't make me... And, I don't need to! But, the wifey got a job!!! So, she's going to have to. I'm hopeful the company will help her out.

yacht chef

Bronze
Sep 13, 2009
So is this a good idea to do the process or not ? This is not a real residency? You still have to go back home and the whole process anyway?
It is still very confusing. Is it worth coming overthere and doing this process?

LicelotteM

Sep 8, 2014
Applicants who qualify for the Plan will receive a special card (not a residency card) indicating that they were accepted in the Plan and are in the process of obtaining a legal status. This card is valid for one year. Upon expiration of this card, the Ministry of Interior and Police will determine the migratory category corresponding to each applicant and will forward the file to the Immigration Department; where the applicant will complete an application process similar to the one that new applicants are completing now.

So far, the Immigration Department has confirmed that applicants referred from the Plan will not have to present any type of visas, so that will be the main benefit of applying for the Plan. Given that the main requirement for the Plan is to be able to prove that the applicant has been in the country since 2011, we understand that a local background check will suffice and applicants will not have to go back to their home countries to obtain a visa or background checks; however, this situation has not been confirmed.

Right now, the Immigration Department does not have a criteria to determine what will be the category assigned for the applicants. Also, they do not know what the process is going to be. Basically, we have been told that they are waiting for the Plan to expire to determine the next steps.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
So is this a good idea to do the process or not ? This is not a real residency? You still have to go back home and the whole process anyway?
It is still very confusing. Is it worth coming overthere and doing this process?

It may not be a real residency but the plan seems designed to get you started on the path to residency. Why not give it a shot? You have nothing to lose and everything to gain, plus its free.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
It seems not even the people who are supposed to be providing the general public with information about how this plan works fully understand it. I'm willing to bet if i called the same office and spoke with a different immigration officer, I'd get a different answer. One step forward, two steps backwards.

jaxter

Aug 24, 2012
It may not be a real residency but the plan seems designed to get you started on the path to residency. Why not give it a shot? You have nothing to lose and everything to gain, plus its free.

It depends on your definition of free. You can not do this process yourself.There are many taxes and offices you have to go to and many notaries. I don't see how poor folk can afford it.

webmacon

Jul 4, 2006
caribbeanostriches.com
Another idea

Has anybody thought about the idea that the regulation plan is free and you get a card for providing all your infortion and then if they see you don't make your residencia at least they will have a start where to pick you up?!?!

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Has anybody thought about the idea that the regulation plan is free and you get a card for providing all your infortion and then if they see you don't make your residencia at least they will have a start where to pick you up?!?!

thats of course part of the whole process.
the authorities would be very stu to not do so.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.