Messed up in timing for residency/naturalization

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
Wow, way cheaper for us Canucks, $140 for translation and legalization, no apostil required.

That's absolutely correct I'm in the process now, and yesterday at the Dom Consulate in Toronto was quoted $140 bucks and it's my original birth certificate from 1973.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Goodness so many misconceptions.

1. The link for naturalization for a woman married to a Dominican man is here. http://www.seip.gob.do/Portals/0/do...on/REQUISITOS POR MATRIMONIO PARA HOMBRE1.pdf

2. All certificates should be the long form - in extensa. They must all be less than 6 months old including the American/Canadian/ British whatever one.
Acta de nacimiento (ORIGINAL) debidamente apostillada (formalidad exigida para certificar la autenticidad de la
firma, la calidad en que el signatario del documento haya actuado, y, en su caso, la identidad del sello o timbre del que
el documento est? revestido) conforme a lo establecido en la Convenci?n de la Haya d/f 05/10/1961. Con un m?nimo de
vigencia de seis (6) meses.

3. What is all this about a Criminal Record check in home country? You don't need that at all, when the process is finished ie you have had your interview, then the Ministry carries out checks with the DNCD, DNI and Interpol in your home country.

4. Total rubbish that you cannot apply if in the country illegally. All it requires is being married to a Dominican man for 6 months. The only document you have to provide is your passport. When I applied my residency had expired and my cedula expired in 2011.

5. All Dominican documents such as husband's birth cert, marriage cert can be got from any Junta Central Civil Registry office as the system is now computerised. You do not have to go back to where they were originally issued.

6. You do not need a lawyer. All you have to do is get the list of documents together they ask for, exactly as they ask for them in terms of timing and legalization and pay your RD$1,500.

Matilda

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013

3. What is all this about a Criminal Record check in home country? You don't need that at all, when the process is finished ie you have had your interview, then the Ministry carries out checks with the DNCD, DNI and Interpol in your home country.

4. Total rubbish that you cannot apply if in the country illegally. All it requires is being married to a Dominican man for 6 months. The only document you have to provide is your passport. When I applied my residency had expired and my cedula expired in 2011.

Matilda

If I understood correctly, the OP is a man married to a dominicana, same as me.

I would, ultimatly, like to aquire dominican citizenship.
I was told by migracion, I first needed residency.
I was told there was no other way around, that I had to go home and apply for RS visa.
I was also handed a paper with all the requisito, for residency...... and it includes a criminal record thingy, apostil and translated.......

Perhaps the laws have changed.........again.
I would be disappointed ( for me, good for the OP ), if I have gone through all the residency process, when I could have gone directly for citizenship......
I was told by migracion I had to start the process from my home country.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Gosh... I renewed my passport in July 2014. Maybe showing my previous passport will help???

I didn't have my previous passport as I have never needed it before. Either way, I can't see a new passport as being a show stopper. Any lawyer worth their salt should be able to convince Migracion that this is not a big deal. A valid passport is a valid passport and the preferences of Migracion in this instance is too inane to be a firm rule.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
If I understood correctly, the OP is a man married to a dominicana, same as me.

Malko, I have met artistdani and SHE is female.

Dani, that is why Malko's post said you need residency first. Men married to Dominicanas need six months of residency before they can apply for naturalization. Females can go directly to naturalization.

yacht chef

Bronze
Sep 13, 2009
You know that you can get a lot of dockuments mailed to you ( appostulised birth certificate ) at a US address and then fowared on to the DR.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
OK, here is what I think is the link for "requisitos nationalizacion por matrimonio mujer": http://www.seip.gob.do/Portals/0/do...ion/REQUISITOS POR MATRIMONIO PARA MUJER1.pdf

#10 and #11 says I need provisional residency, and must have had it for at least 6 months!
10. Certificaci?n de la Direcci?n General de Migraci?n donde conste que tiene m?s de seis meses de Residencia Provisional en el pa?s.
11. Copia a color del permiso de Residencia Provisional con un m?nimo de vigencia de seis (6) meses.

It was a reputed lawyer that told me that a small fine takes care of an expired residency visa. But there was no mention of birth certificate.

Will let my lawyer sort it all out as this is clear as mud!

You are looking at the wrong form. That is for Foreign Men married to Dominican women.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
I will admit to be very confused by having to have a new birth certificate since .. unlike photographs or bank records, they do not expire. At first, I thought that it was simply something put in place for locals, for the DR, to generate fees for the government, which would make sense.. but why would foreigners need a more recent one? So with a bit of googling, I found that it is the practice in France to ask for birth certificates no more than Three months old for French citizens, 6 months old for foreigners, for such things as marriage, adoptions, and visas.

In my anglo centric world, I forget that much of Dominican law is based on the Napoleonic Code which is quite different from British common law. There are things here such as one cannot disinherit the children which come from Napoleonic law.

I surmise that it prevents forged identities. Civil Registry - Consulat G?n?ral de France ? Los Angeles

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Go back to the government office, wear a different color shirt this time, the information will be different.
Keep going back waering a different colored shirt each time.
Sooner-or-Later, you will get the information you like!!!

My "Gringo" FRIEND HAS BEEN TRYING FOR OVER 6 MONTHS, TRIPS TO sANTIAGO, AND sd several TIMES.
dIFFERENT requirements every time!!!!

ccccccccccccccccccccccc

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
I will admit to be very confused by having to have a new birth certificate since .. unlike photographs or bank records, they do not expire. At first, I thought that it was simply something put in place for locals, for the DR, to generate fees for the government, which would make sense.. but why would foreigners need a more recent one? So with a bit of googling, I found that it is the practice in France to ask for birth certificates no more than Three months old for French citizens, 6 months old for foreigners, for such things as marriage, adoptions, and visas.

In my anglo centric world, I forget that much of Dominican law is based on the Napoleonic Code which is quite different from British common law. There are things here such as one cannot disinherit the children which come from Napoleonic law.

I surmise that it prevents forged identities. Civil Registry - Consulat G?n?ral de France ? Los Angeles

Also I want to ADD you need the "Long Form" Birth Certificate. Long form includes parental information and also is "certified".. So in other words anyone applying for temp, perm, or whatever you will need this..

artistdani

Mar 13, 2012
You are looking at the wrong form. That is for Foreign Men married to Dominican women.

It does not matter since they both talk about having provisional residency for 6 months first. Maybe the web site is wrong.

Guzman staff never talked about residency, just go directly to naturalization. That is why I had decided to change strategy mid stream. Otherwise I would have started the residency process when my visa was still valid and not wait for 6 months after the wedding.

Sooooo, Matilda and Guzman say the same thing i.e. no residency necessary before naturalization. My contact and the website say the opposite. Welcome to the DR.

Last edited:

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
It looks like the website has changed in the last 24 hours to make the requirements for women the same as for men! There are three new numbers now.

9. Certificado de NO antecedentes judiciales de la Procuradur?a General de la Rep?blica Dominicana.
10. Certificaci?n de la Direcci?n General de Migraci?n donde conste que tiene m?s de seis meses de Residencia
Provisional en el pa?s.
11. Copia a color del permiso de Residencia Provisional con un m?nimo de vigencia de seis (6) meses.

Now either it is some sort of error as those were not there before, or the law has been changed which is very esneaky in my opinion.

Matilda

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

1. The link for naturalization for a woman married to a Dominican man is here. http://www.seip.gob.do/Portals/0/do...on/REQUISITOS POR MATRIMONIO PARA HOMBRE1.pdf

2. All certificates should be the long form - in extensa. They must all be less than 6 months old including the American/Canadian/ British whatever one.
Acta de nacimiento (ORIGINAL) debidamente apostillada (formalidad exigida para certificar la autenticidad de la
firma, la calidad en que el signatario del documento haya actuado, y, en su caso, la identidad del sello o timbre del que
el documento est? revestido) conforme a lo establecido en la Convenci?n de la Haya d/f 05/10/1961. Con un m?nimo de
vigencia de seis (6) meses.

5. All Dominican documents such as husband's birth cert, marriage cert can be got from any Junta Central Civil Registry office as the system is now computerised. You do not have to go back to where they were originally issued.

6. You do not need a lawyer. All you have to do is get the list of documents together they ask for, exactly as they ask for them in terms of timing and legalization and pay your RD$1,500.

Matilda

But there is a subtle but important difference if you are a foreign man married to a Dominican.
Lawyer/ no lawyer. If you lawyer up it'll cost you 1000-2000 $US and save you some inconvenience, time, confusion and frustration but cost you considerably more money than if you do it yourself. If you do it yourself you'll learn how it works/doesn't work and be able to offer sage advice.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Malko, I have met artistdani and SHE is female.

Dani, that is why Malko's post said you need residency first. Men married to Dominicanas need six months of residency before they can apply for naturalization. Females can go directly to naturalization.

Ooops my bad........sorry then.

webmacon

Jul 4, 2006
caribbeanostriches.com
I think law has changed ...

Was hearing a lot from Immigration that of course they see a lot of marriages coming up after the residency stuff got harder, I think it's a way to make it harder for people who think they just get quickly married to get around the residency requirements.

It looks like the website has changed in the last 24 hours to make the requirements for women the same as for men! There are three new numbers now.

9. Certificado de NO antecedentes judiciales de la Procuradur?a General de la Rep?blica Dominicana.
10. Certificaci?n de la Direcci?n General de Migraci?n donde conste que tiene m?s de seis meses de Residencia
Provisional en el pa?s.

Now either it is some sort of error as those were not there before, or the law has been changed which is very esneaky in my opinion.

Matilda

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
the false marriage thingy is something they should have had in count before they started to implement the actual harder ways for residencies, i guess they just did not think not even for a moment that changes on one thing may have a influence on the other, lol.
but i can imagine that it will have a huuge influence, as false marriages/getting new "Citizens" may see a real "Boom" now.
what comes to mind, just out of curiosity, is there a timelimit how long you have to stay marriedand/or live under the same roof with the new spouse to keep the Citizenship? in some countries you would loose it again if not together with the spouse for a certain amount of years, or if authorities "hear" that they never had the intention to live together/just run a "paid" for false marriage to get some papers done. as a Gringo/Gringa married that way to their Sankie/Sankiette would then for such certain time frame "depend" on the good will of the new DR Spouse, to not loose the thingy again. if such timeline exists here, then it would be under the line cheaper and more hassle free to obtain a regular residency than to run the "Blackmail possibilities/dependency" road.
just some thoughts that come to mind, things i don't know about, hence i ask out of curiosity.

Mike

artistdani

Mar 13, 2012
Holy kamoly!!!!! Being married to a Dominican is hard enough I certainly would not do it just for the citizenship in a bloody hell hole where every dominican is trying to get advantage of the gringa! Even their govt website is set up so some lawyer can trick you into doing something you don't need! LOL

Seriously... the DR citizenship is not that advantageous to warrant getting married just for that reason!

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
I don't see any advantage at all, at least not for foreigners who come from a developed 1st world country with a passport that opens the doors to every other country of the globe, including the DR.

Mike