italian man killed in POP

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
You could sidestep Virgo's objection by changing "my country" to "my island".

if i have to go to those lengths, he does not get it the way you do, and he will spend the whole night objecting to the reasoning and trying to establish that he is right. it is a waste of my time, quite frankly.

what he fails to understand are the sociological reagents at play here. as far as the Haitians are concerned, they are not going to think of any constitutional rulings regarding nationality. to them, it is their part of the world. that is what matters. since they cannot go to Europe and run to the authorities to get a European in trouble, they do not want that happening to them here, occasioned by a guy from another continent.

Virgo

Bronze
Oct 26, 2013
You could sidestep Virgo's objection by changing "my country" to "my island".
Sorry but that wouldn't work, as it would suggest the entire island is "theirs". Neither Haitians nor Dominicans own or have any special right in the country on the opposite side of the island. An island is just like a continent, only smaller. A person doesn't automatically have a special status in another country, just because both countries are in the same continent or even share a border. That applies not only to Dominicans and Haitians, but also to Canadians and Americans, Mexican and Americans, Poles and Ukrainians, Israelis and Jordanians, Chinese and Indians, and so on and so forth.
The events under discussion involved foreigners living in Dominican territory. No Dominican was involved.

Virgo

Bronze
Oct 26, 2013
...as far as the Haitians are concerned, they are not going to think of any constitutional rulings regarding nationality. to them, it is their part of the world. that is what matters. since they cannot go to Europe and run to the authorities to get a European in trouble, they do not want that happening to them here, occasioned by a guy from another continent.
Who the heck told you that the Dominican Republic is Haitian's "part of the world". The DR is a different country. Haitians are foreigners in the DR just as Dominicans are foreigners in Haiti. Being a citizen of a neighboring country doesn't entail special privileges in any neighboring country.

And what on earth has any ruling to do with this? The Constitutional ruling only applies to the children of ilegal or non-permanent foreigners. Haitians born in Haiti has never even claimed Dominican citizenship. Are you saying now that the Haitians who committed this crime were born in Dominican territory?

Bottom line is that this has nothing to do with Haitians feeling they were in "their country". They robbed and murdered a man with who they allegedly had some kind of trouble before. The fact that their country happens to share a border with the DR has nothing to do with this (except that it made it easier for them to enter DR territory).

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
yeah, but that's not the reason to go on about dominican-haitian relationship.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
It is perhaps a good thing that CristoRey did not pick Villa Montellano, which is a barrio in the Province of Puerto Plata, in which to live. :dead:

Villa Montellano used to just be called Montellano and is between Sosua and Puerto Plata.

Didn't realize Montellano was a barrio. Sounds like you know the NC pretty darn well. I have lived in a few
different barrios since I came down here 3 1/2 years ago and not once has there been a gringo(a) targeted, beatin,
robbed or killed in any of the barrios I have lived. As unfortunate as these types of crimes are, the criminals who
are committing them may live a barrio but they travel outside the barrios to commit crimes. In other words, I have
noticed they have a tendency not to sh*t where they sleep.

Rustxko

Aug 3, 2014
Very unfortunate to be killed over something so minor. Hopefully, the other guy involved is caught.