Importing vehicle

Jan 9, 2004
You have read between the lines when taking the opinion of some motoring journalists, who write for these consumer magazines / websites. *They are so very subjective.

One American writer writing an article for the new Jaguar XF completely slated it because it didn't have enough cup holders! *Perhaps that compared to the UK where you have to take out a small loan to fill the tank. *Diesel is currently $6 a gallon in the UK. *So to the American, a premium vehicle that does nearly 50mpg in utter silence and refinement isn't important. *But cup holders are.

Read reviews on the Land Cruiser and Land Cruiser Prado from Australia and you will get a completely different opinion.

NB. *Most Land cruisers here have the straight six diesel engine which is virtually indestructible.

Reviews are very subjective to be sure.

But the Jaguar is absolute rubbish for a luxury vehicle.

Forget the cup holders for a moment and look what happens after you buy one. Jaguars have one of the worst records of value depreciation in the automobile luxury space.

People vote with their dollars/euros/yen based on things way beyond cup holders. The vehicle is expensive junk and I am not sure the current brand owner Tata Motors can successfully revive it.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I thought Ford bought Jaguar some years back. Did they sell to Tata Motors?

Jan 9, 2004
I thought Ford bought Jaguar some years back. Did they sell to Tata Motors?

Ford dumped both Jaguar and Land Rover back in 2008.....and took a huge loss. Tata a producer of low end inexpensive vehicles (Tata Nano), still has not figured out how to manage either Land Rover or Jaguar.

Not even sure if there are any official Land Rover or Jaguar dealers in the DR.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
Ford proved your point. Everyone who buys a Jaguar takes a huge loss, even Ford.
Ford dumped both Jaguar and Land Rover back in 2008.....and took a huge loss. Tata a producer of low end inexpensive vehicles (Tata Nano), still has not figured out how to manage either Land Rover or Jaguar.

Not even sure if there are any official Land Rover or Jaguar dealers in the DR.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
The Land Cruiser/Prado fuel efficiency is a problem. In North America where fuel is US$2.20 to US$3.00/gallon it is a big problem. In the Dominican Republic where fuel is US$3.50 and up, it is a huge problem. The ride is very comfortable and parking attendants will often address you as "comandante!" It's worth it for some people. :)
I do see a lot of Prado's here. Most appear to have owners with low intelligence based upon how they drive. The Prado is not sold in the US under that name. It is called a Land Cruiser, appears to be a gasoline only model, and gets a whopping 2.5 star review from Car and Driver along with poor gas mileage. http://www.caranddriver.com/toyota/land-cruiser

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
Did you have occasion to make any warranty claims? I know at least some vehicle manufacturers have country specific warranty provisions, generally lower mileage limits or additional exclusions such as front end damage. The reason is road conditions vary significantly from country to country.
Sorry beez, I forgot to say that I have done both... imported and bought bhere.

I bought a used Suzuli XL-7 , still had 6 months on warranty, 9,000 miles.... $19,000 .
Has been a good car.

Both cars run well.
The RD purchase was fast and easy.
The import came with my residency... not fast, not easy but affordable with the tax break.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Did you have occasion to make any warranty claims? I know at least some vehicle manufacturers have country specific warranty provisions, generally lower mileage limits or additional exclusions such as front end damage. The reason is road conditions vary significantly from country to country.

Only as far as getting the last service before the expiry.....went fine, no charge for most of it.
They replaced some sensors as I recall.

Actually, in any country, I have had few warranty issues.

Jan 9, 2004
Isn't Autobritanica the official dealer in the DR?

They could be the dealer for Land Rover only...seems to be a fair amount of them in the DR, but I do not believe they have any affiliation with Jaguar or that Jaguar has an official presence in the DR.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Reviews are very subjective to be sure.

But the Jaguar is absolute rubbish for a luxury vehicle.

Forget the cup holders for a moment and look what happens after you buy one. Jaguars have one of the worst records of value depreciation in the automobile luxury space.

People vote with their dollars/euros/yen based on things way beyond cup holders. The vehicle is expensive junk and I am not sure the current brand owner Tata Motors can successfully revive it.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Absolute rubbish, yet gets five out of five stars from Auto Express.*http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/jaguar/xf

As I said, totally subjective.*

Jan 9, 2004
Absolute rubbish, yet gets five out of five stars from Auto Express.*http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/jaguar/xf

As I said, totally subjective.*

Which is exactly why I prefer a marketplace objective perspective based on arms length market resales.......rather than a subjective individual review.

The good news is that you can buy them cheap in the secondary market and they will likely have collector value due to limited sales lol.

The bad news is, just the taxes alone to import a used 2016 into the DR would be over a million pesos.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Jan 9, 2004
Is there anything written as to what constitutes a "classic" and avoids the 5 year rule?

Search for CAACRD on facebook.

They are the antique car club of Santiago. They will know the latest information you seek.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2*

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
In the end I found a couple of Highlanders in Moca that fitted the bill. *Had to increase my budget slightly and opted for a year older. *But the one I have chosen has a good Carfax report and pretty low mileage for an import and the odo hasn't been tampered with. *It's an honest, one owner car from NY and in immaculate condition. *However I will challenge anyone to find a second had car for sale here that comes with more than one key! *It appears that aduanas or dock workers like to pocket any additional keys. *For what purpose, I have no idea.

A few Toyota related queries for any owners out there....

Has anyone managed to get hold of a "hacked" or modified navigation DVD with DR coverage? *It's not hugely important as I don't think that there are many GPS solutions better than a decent smartphone and a data package. *Just that it would be nice to have the factory option functional if possible.

Secondly, what is Sirius XM radio coverage like here? *Just wondering if it's worth activating a subscription.

I will pick it up in the New Year, but over all I'm very pleased with what I have found. *And dealing with both Turin motors and Asilis Polanco in Moca was a very pleasant experience and I'm happy to endorse them.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Glad it worked out , beeza.

I use Sirius in RD.... works just as in NoAmerica.

I think you did the right thing.... buying locally.
One thing I watch for is to try for a 'non-import', one sold initially in RD.
Maye I'm too fussy....

Happy driving......... and Happy New Year

Jan 9, 2004
In the end I found a couple of Highlanders in Moca that fitted the bill. *Had to increase my budget slightly and opted for a year older. *But the one I have chosen has a good Carfax report and pretty low mileage for an import and the odo hasn't been tampered with. *It's an honest, one owner car from NY and in immaculate condition. *However I will challenge anyone to find a second had car for sale here that comes with more than one key! *It appears that aduanas or dock workers like to pocket any additional keys. *For what purpose, I have no idea.

A few Toyota related queries for any owners out there....

Has anyone managed to get hold of a "hacked" or modified navigation DVD with DR coverage? *It's not hugely important as I don't think that there are many GPS solutions better than a decent smartphone and a data package. *Just that it would be nice to have the factory option functional if possible.

Secondly, what is Sirius XM radio coverage like here? *Just wondering if it's worth activating a subscription.

I will pick it up in the New Year, but over all I'm very pleased with what I have found. *And dealing with both Turin motors and Asilis Polanco in Moca was a very pleasant experience and I'm happy to endorse them.

Lots of second hand vehicles sold here that have two keys. It is a great selling point, or up sell for the dealers. *But, I regularly supply dealers here with used fobs as they are available from my auto recycler clients in the US. Programming instructions are available on the web for most.

When there, I am based in Moca, because that is where a majority of my car dealer clients are based. Little Moca has far more car dealers per capita than either Santo Domingo or Santiago.....some are very good and understand the concept of good service and honest dealings.*

Hope it works out for you.

For others, a rush of fresh 2011 import vehicles will soon arrive as the dealers look to get in before the 5 year rule takes hold on them as of June 30, 2017.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Last edited:

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006
Another question: *Is there sales tax on a used car in the US?

No tax on auto sales at the point of sale. There is usually a tax on auto sales at the point of use collected when and where you register it the first time. The use tax depends on the state (or other government entity) where it will be used.

CharlieD

Dec 30, 2016
Car buying

Hi guys. I was thinking of importing a car from the states but it sounds like endless hassle. So a couple of questions if I may. Is there a service or person here that can do this for me door to door in Sosua after I've had it sent to *puerta Plata? If not does anyone provide a service to go find me the car I want here ?