Importing vehicle

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I'm a permanent resident and have been for ten years. *Could I get any tax breaks if I went ahead and naturalized as a citizen? Something I've been meaning to do, but there's no real urgency. *I would do it by virtue of marriage to a Dominican.

as AE said, you have to exercise the privilege within six months, or it is lost forever.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
as AE said, you have to exercise the privilege within six months, or it is lost forever.

Shame. *Missed the boat on that one.

Does the tax break for new residents apply to vehicles imported from the country the foreigner came from, or can the vehicle come from anywhere?

The reason I ask is that it's hard to find vehicles in England with the steering wheel on the wrong side. *Dominican's don't allow RHD vehicles.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
That wasn't asked for when we brought ours in, only the original title was required, and they kept it.

i thought about that after i posted, because i brought mine in 10 years ago, and rules change with time. i had to produce the reggie and insurance policy.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
My opinion? To be honest, I wouldn't be as worried about price as I would be about condition. I'd be willing to pay a little more for a vehicle if it was in excellent condition, but I prefer to avoid the shipping/customs nightmare.

It really boils down to how much faith you have in a vehicle purchased in the states as opposed to a vehicle purchased here in the country.

I wasn't in the market to buy a vehicle when I came across my Prado. I saw one on Corotos, couldn't believe what I was reading, so I went to see it myself. When I got there, I found a vehicle that looked and drove like new. It was immaculate.

I was able to negotiate with the seller, and got it for even less than the low price on Corotos. You're not going to do that with a vehicle on EBAY.

You can however, make an offer on the particular vehicle you listed. I'd do a lowball offer, and if they accept it, it may be worth the effort.

Nice looking truck, btw.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
My opinion? To be honest, I wouldn't be as worried about price as I would be about condition. I'd be willing to pay a little more for a vehicle if it was in excellent condition, but I prefer to avoid the shipping/customs nightmare.

It really boils down to how much faith you have in a vehicle purchased in the states as opposed to a vehicle purchased here in the country.

I wasn't in the market to buy a vehicle when I came across my Prado. I saw one on Corotos, couldn't believe what I was reading, so I went to see it myself. When I got there, I found a vehicle that looked and drove like new. It was immaculate.

I was able to negotiate with the seller, and got it for even less than the low price on Corotos. You're not going to do that with a vehicle on EBAY.

You can however, make an offer on the particular vehicle you listed. I'd do a lowball offer, and if they accept it, it may be worth the effort.

Nice looking truck, btw.

JD, you are so very right. unless i was going to be way ahead of the game, i would not get into the matter of dealing with shippers and customs. here is why...

when i brought my car in from NY, i got a call from the shipper in the Bronx that the car was at Port Caucedo. i went to go retrieve it, and it was not on the lot. i found out that the guy in Santo Domingo who was the contact for the Bronx operation had taken the car out the day before. the hump was driving my car around. it was a car that i had never seen in the DR, so, if he wrecked it, *i could not evn get the body parts.

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010

Nice looking truck, btw.
Prado...

Best car by far for this country for sure.One problem is that the diesel engine is not easily available in the US market so one would have to accept the US spec version which is not necessarily the best choice for the DR.Still the best car though but the price reflects that value,----(unfortunately, for a pauper like me..!)

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Prado...

Best car by far for this country for sure.One problem is that the diesel engine is not easily available in the US market so one would have to accept the US spec version which is not necessarily the best choice for the DR.Still the best car though but the price reflects that value,----(unfortunately, for a pauper like me..!)

can?t argue with that.....

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Prado...

I do see a lot of Prado's here. Most appear to have owners with low intelligence based upon how they drive. The Prado is not sold in the US under that name. It is called a Land Cruiser, appears to be a gasoline only model, and gets a whopping 2.5 star review from Car and Driver along with poor gas mileage. http://www.caranddriver.com/toyota/land-cruiser

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
A "wreck" might need more than just a rebuilt engine to function reliably. A clunker with a good engine but a faulty transmission, suspension, electrical wiring or compromised frame is still a clunker with a good engine. Rebuilding a vehicle here piece by piece sounds like a make work project that could involve a lot of frustration.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
In SD, they sell rebuilt engines.... you see them lined up on the curb.

He wants a shell, or a car with a blown engine.
Has no intention of reconstructing a car.
Good physical shape, sin motore.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Prado...

JD's Prado is one of the most unique sleds I've seen in this country: a 2-door diesel Prado. Unheard of.

(He needs to turbo that sucker...;) )

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I do see a lot of Prado's here. Most appear to have owners with low intelligence based upon how they drive. The Prado is not sold in the US under that name. It is called a Land Cruiser, appears to be a gasoline only model, and gets a whopping 2.5 star review from Car and Driver along with poor gas mileage. http://www.caranddriver.com/toyota/land-cruiser

There is the Land Cruiser, and there is the Land Cruiser Prado. Two completely different models. The Prado is the little brother to the Land Cruiser.

The 2003 - 2009 model Prado is pretty much the same vehicle as the 2003-2009 Lexus GX470. The GX470 in the states only come with a gasoline engine.

4 out of 5 Prados here have the turbo Diesel engine, but mine is the super simple non turbo model. I can get over 40 km. per gallon with a light foot, but I don't plan on getting anywhere at the speed of light.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006

You have read between the lines when taking the opinion of some motoring journalists, who write for these consumer magazines / websites. *They are so very subjective.

One American writer writing an article for the new Jaguar XF completely slated it because it didn't have enough cup holders! *Perhaps that compared to the UK where you have to take out a small loan to fill the tank. *Diesel is currently $6 a gallon in the UK. *So to the American, a premium vehicle that does nearly 50mpg in utter silence and refinement isn't important. *But cup holders are.

Read reviews on the Land Cruiser and Land Cruiser Prado from Australia and you will get a completely different opinion.

NB. *Most Land cruisers here have the straight six diesel engine which is virtually indestructible.

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010

Hmmm.Interesting review of Prado owners but not the car.Even the US model is better than most other competitors but bit of a gas guzzler but then it's up against a Hummer or that massive, evil Chev truck which I refuse to remember the name. at 6 mpg....