American Thrown Off The Guagua

Status
Not open for further replies.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I highly doubt it was the 200 Pesos which bothered the driver ..
ie the RICH Gringo theory .. Not even sure how paying $200 pesos to sit packed like a sardine among Dominicans is such a TREAT for the Senses , to make anyone Jealous of the Gringo who is enjoying this luxurious Ride in such a Sweat Box.
Unless, was he FLASHING jewelry , or paying with like a $2 Mil peso bill cuz that is all he had in his wallet ? i doubt it ..
So it still, just makes no sense .. if anything they should be HAPPY that the Gringo is trying to be like regular Dominicans .
there is a lot more to this story..
and no , i don't think it was subtle Racism either ..

My friend didn't either. He never once hinted that he thought there was some racial motivation behind this. He said the driver was upset for some unknown reason an American was onboard and announced it to all the other passengers.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
That's sounds like a very possible explanation. And you're right - he's big - about 6'1", over 200lbs, and muscular. Doesn't even slightly resemble a Haitian. And there were many Haitians on the bus.

There you go....... he could have fitted another 3 pasengers in his seat. Simple economics !!

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I use guaguas in and around Santiago on a weekly basis.
Just came back from Moca on one this afternoon.
OP's story was an entertaining read but its complete bullsh*t.

Apr 7, 2014
That's entirely plausible. I bet it's some odd ball thing that your friend either didn't understand or wasn't included in.
He flashed his Library Guild of America badge and made mention of being in Ranger Rick's Book of the Month Club in an upcoming issue of A Boys Life magazine and the locals overheard that as "Hey my friend, I am an undercover agent in the DEA and I am looking for some drug smugglers. Have you see any......'round these parts? Ok, if you do, let me know. I will be on this bus right here with this somewhat suspicious looking driver."

Sent from my SM-J327T1 using Tapatalk

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
Despite whatever speculation, there's a piece of this story that was lost in translation. Either that he didn't tell the OP or that he didn't realize.
If innocent, the American must have misunderstood, misinterpreted, or just entirely missed a part of what went down. I've never met a rude, menacing guagua driver. Tired & disinterested, sure. But chances are the American unknowingly or in ignorance did something that set the driver off.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Most likely it was Dajabon near the Haitian border.

actually, there is a Jaibon, which is in Laguna Salada, a town on la linea, on the way to Montecristi. it is past Valverde Mao, but i do not think it is 35 miles from Santiago..

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
i am perplexed. the anecdote suggests that at some point in the proceedings it was declared that there was an American on the bus. that having been said, why would the possibility of him being a Haitian be an issue?

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
Does your friend have poor hygiene?Maybe he had a "machete", a huge rash or something. Other than that, maybe, like others have posted, his size was what upset the driver. Maybe he occupied more than one seat.

If he didn't speak Spanish, we can't be sure if the driver was in fact asking for his papers.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Even if the story took place in Port-au-Prince, no self-respecting Dominican would mistake a African-American for an Haitian PUNTO :cheeky:

The mystery continues

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Does your friend have poor hygiene?Maybe he had a "machete", a huge rash or something. Other than that, maybe, like others have posted, his size was what upset the driver. Maybe he occupied more than one seat.

If he didn't speak Spanish, we can't be sure if the driver was in fact asking for his papers.

No, he does not. He's not only a friend, he's my next door neighbor - for a year now in a condo that he owns. He's frequently been in my unit and I've been in his. And consider that he was on a guagua full of Haitians who are not particularly known for their personal hygene.

I have some friends who are flight attendants and they hated doing the Miami to Port-au-Prince flight - not because they were Haitians, but because of the odor. If you are ever on a busload full of Haitians some day and forgot to use your deodorant, don't worry - nobody will notice!

At 6'1" and a little over 200lbs, he's hardly a "Hulk Hogan". He's in good shape - athletic. He doesn't need the seatbelt extender when he flys down here and I've been on publicos and guaguas with Dominican "mamas" that are 50% wider than he is! There are many Dominican men his size and they don't need two seats.

He doesn't speak much Spanish - just typical "tourist Spanish" with a heavy gringo accent. He knows enough to get around and understand some of what is being said. He knows simple words like pasaporte, papeles, documentos. That's what the driver asked for and reviewed it when he gave it to him.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
@ cavok, isn't it amazing how you have no clue what city your friend traveled from or what happened. Give this thread about a page and a half more and the dr1 experts will concoct their own version of what "really" happened. My guess the dr1 crew will conclude he was flying in from Paris and handed a parachute before being booted out the main cabin door.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
@ cavok, isn't it amazing how you have no clue what city your friend traveled from or what happened. Give this thread about a page and a half more and the dr1 experts will concoct their own version of what "really" happened. My guess the dr1 crew will conclude he was flying in from Paris and handed a parachute before being booted out the main cabin door.

What in the world are you talking about? I clearly stated in my first post he was travelling from Jaibonand I even posted a link to Google Maps for those who are geographically challenged. What's amazing is that you didn't see it.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
What in the world are you talking about? I clearly stated in my first post he was travelling from Jaibonand I even posted a link to Google Maps for those who are geographically challenged. What's amazing is that you didn't see it.

dude can't you tell when someone is joking?

slowmo

Aug 1, 2016
My guess is that for some reason, certain people don't like Americans.

Just recently had a cab ride in Colombia in which the driver asked me where I am from. When I answered Canada, he reached over and shook my hand.

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
My guess is that for some reason, certain people don't like Americans.

Just recently had a cab ride in Colombia in which the driver asked me where I am from. When I answered Canada, he reached over and shook my hand.

Many Americans act like they own the place. Drives me nuts.

Status
Not open for further replies.