Another Chinese restaurant in Sosua!

C

cobraboy

If you want a decent sit down Chinese, you will have to go to Santiago.

Very extensive menu, not cheap, but big portions.

My favourite is the duck pancakes.

https://goo.gl/maps/dvAqdpusD9Tmqdx87
Rico is very, very good for traditional Mandarin and Cantonese fare.

Jade is more Hunan and Szechuan, with some Thai overtones.

Different styles.

I enjoy the Mongolian beef at Rico, and Alida like the Moo Shu Pork.

J

jd426

Rico is very, very good for traditional Mandarin and Cantonese fare.

Jade is more Hunan and Szechuan, with some Thai overtones.

Different styles.

I enjoy the Mongolian beef at Rico, and Alida like the Moo Shu Pork.

No one has mentioned Pez Dorado ?
Couple years ago was the best Chinese in Santiago , imo
or maybe it used to me

.wondering if something has changed , as i saw some strange neg reviews recently which made no sense ..

As to the New Chinese Place in Sosua . going to have to try it now for sure since they have a sit down , order fresh menu...
Thanks to Seamonkey for his update real review.

C

Cortez

Depends on their motive. How nice would it
be to see a little Chinatown so close to the beach :cheeky:

the restaurant.... and the chinatowns are just a sign of many more to come.....look at the stores that line Del Sol street now ....and then multiply the amount of chinese people by 1 thousand or more...just like most if not all big American cities have china towns...not saying thats a bad thing...but it is coming...........Cortez.....

B

bigbird

Many negative comments in this thread about the new Chinese restaurant, but nobody said they actually ate there.

Well.....my wife and I went on Monday. It's way more than just the food you see in the buffet area. There are 2 menus. One menu which sits on top of the buffet table shows you the combinations that are available. There is also a sit-down menu with a whole other choice of food. This food is made fresh in the kitchen. It was really complicated to understand at first, because nobody explained it to us. We chose our food from the sit-down menu expecting it to come from the buffet. We sat there waiting and wondering what was going on. Then, out came these big plates of food. I had some type of sweet and sour chicken and a large order of noodles which were in a different plate. My wife had the small sautéed ribs with a large plate of steamed vegetables. We couldn't finish it and too the rest to go.

Food was excellent. Prices were very fair. Restaurant has a cafeteria feel and not very cozy. Looks like it will be a weekly place to go.

just a bump so this post stays on current page ............. thanks for a boots on the ground report

J

JDJones

or maybe it used to me

.wondering if something has changed , as i saw some strange neg reviews recently which made no sense ..

As to the New Chinese Place in Sosua . going to have to try it now for sure since they have a sit down , order fresh menu...
Thanks to Seamonkey for his update real review.

I ate there many times back in the eighties. One of the best restaurants in town back then.

C

cobraboy

or maybe it used to me
I never thought of PD as Chinese and I've eaten there several times.

I recall it IS owned by a Chinese guy if I remember correctly.

T

tee

Many negative comments in this thread about the new Chinese restaurant, but nobody said they actually ate there.

Well.....my wife and I went on Monday. It's way more than just the food you see in the buffet area. There are 2 menus. One menu which sits on top of the buffet table shows you the combinations that are available. There is also a sit-down menu with a whole other choice of food. This food is made fresh in the kitchen. It was really complicated to understand at first, because nobody explained it to us. We chose our food from the sit-down menu expecting it to come from the buffet. We sat there waiting and wondering what was going on. Then, out came these big plates of food. I had some type of sweet and sour chicken and a large order of noodles which were in a different plate. My wife had the small sautéed ribs with a large plate of steamed vegetables. We couldn't finish it and too the rest to go.

Food was excellent. Prices were very fair. Restaurant has a cafeteria feel and not very cozy. Looks like it will be a weekly place to go.

This is good news! I was there and mentioned it in one of my posts but it was just regarding chicken fingers...the staff need to be trained to tel clients that there is a separate sit down menu as there is no mention of this at all so nobody would know. The only thing people see is the buffet.
The fact that there is actually a proper sit down menu changes everything, (and I actually mentioned this too in another previous post how good it would be).
Will be good to see other peoples reviews about their food.

A

Astucia

New Asian restaurant

I know this is slightly off-topic - but we tried the new Asian/Sushi restaurant in Sosua tonight. It is just up the street from Bailee's - facing the small park. It was VERY good. They seem to specialize in specialty rolls, which is not exactly my definition of sushi, but a very good selection. A smaller selection of nigiri and sashimi - not as varied as Yamazato in Cabarete - but very very good. Many other menu options. We tried both the spring rolls and Asian salad, as well as one of their specialty rolls and a small selection of nigiri.

This place doesn't seem to be very well known. We've driven by numerous times and never saw many ( if any ) customers. We'll be back.

G

GuillermoRamon

Man, can't even keep a simple restaurant thread on topic these days. "Another Chinese restaurant in Sosua!" turned into a discussion about Chinese places in Santiago, Santo Domingo, and a totally different Sushi place

T

tee

Man, can't even keep a simple restaurant thread on topic these days. "Another Chinese restaurant in Sosua!" turned into a discussion about Chinese places in Santiago, Santo Domingo, and a totally different Sushi place

Don't see that as a problem, especially as people are recommending other Asian restaurants. One day you might be in Santiago or Santo Domingo and remember something that was said on this thread and go and try one of the places mentioned. Same goes for this new Sushi place in Sosua. At least everyone is sticking to the Asian theme!!! lol

A

Astucia

Don't see that as a problem, especially as people are recommending other Asian restaurants. One day you might be in Santiago or Santo Domingo and remember something that was said on this thread and go and try one of the places mentioned. Same goes for this new Sushi place in Sosua. At least everyone is sticking to the Asian theme!!! lol

Yeah - sorry. Maybe thread should be CRAVIN' ASIAN.

W

waytogo

Since I just started as Mod for the NC Forum, going to leave existing posts as is.......
Please make an effort from this point on to stay on topic......
Appreciate your support as I don't like/want to close, delete, or give infractions :)
Have a great day......

T

tee

So I went to the Chinese restaurant to try their sit down menu. I sat outside and it took 10 minutes to actually get a menu even though three employees saw me sitting there. I ended up going inside to get the menu myself. The menu looked reasonably OK, but most dishes were between 450-500 pesos, which is up there for a Chinese restaurant such as this one, believe me, it is no gourmet Chinese restaurant like you would see in Santo Domingo at very similar prices. So I asked the waitress what was included in the price? Her answer was "just the meat"...I asked her again, just to be sure, and she gave me the same answer. So, understanding that she was probably new, I suggested that she go and ask someone what was included and her answer was "if you want some rice or noodles from the buffet we can give you some"!!! So one is expected to pay between 450-500 pesos for a meat dish and then be 'offered' some rice and noodles from the buffet!! Not quite the answer I was expecting and so I said noodles and that I wanted with the dish to be cooked fresh just like the meat dish. She answered "ok"...I also ordered a spring roll for a starter, (for take out they charge 35 pesos and for sit down they charge 50 pesos). One came out on a small orange plastic plate straight from the buffet section, I tried to cut it with a fork (using just a fork with a fresh spring roll should always be suffice providing they are crispy)...could not cut it, so had to use the knife which meant that this spring roll was prepared hours ago...put a piece in my mouth, stone cold! I called the waitress over, told her it was cold and could not eat it and she said they are all like that. I got up and said cancel my order and left...she said what about the spring roll, you have to pay for that...I said tell you boss to stop selling cold food and walked away. I was half expecting to be chased to PC my a mad Chinese man!!! I hope that the waitress did not get into trouble and if she was charged for that I would gladly give her the money for it....but I refuse to be expected to pay for cold food. Looks like I will stick to the Cabarete Chinese.

J

jd426

thank you for your review ..
but with all respect , its only a SPRING roll .. why not Do a Gordon Ramsay on her and says " Not Edible, YOU eat it " and leave it on the plate ,and ask the cook to come out and eat it if he so chooses ..
I would still have tried the Fresh Hot food, to get a real Feel for the place .. especially after we already had a positive review by a member here who lives in town and knows food as he has owned his own restaurant before ...
IMO, you should have stayed and gone all the way
.. just saying . but thanks for trying.

T

tee

but with all respect , its only a SPRING roll .. why not Do a Gordon Ramsay on her and says " Not Edible, YOU eat it " and leave it on the plate ,and ask the cook to come out and eat it if he so chooses ..
I would still have tried the Fresh Hot food, to get a real Feel for the place .. especially after we already had a positive review by a member here who lives in town and knows food as he has owned his own restaurant before ...

Sorry, but to be offered rice or noodles from a buffet to go with the main dish is not acceptable....and then to be given a stone cold spring roll, again from the buffet was the icing on the cake for me. No effort was made to resolve that and to be told "they are all like that" was not the kind of answer you expect. My decision to walk away and I am glad I did.

C

cavok

There's a new Chinese restaurant in Cabarete - Pollo San. It's just about 100 yards east of BHD Bank, same side of the street. It looks more like a typical pica polla place from the street, but they have a very wide variety of dishes(see menu below).

So far, I've only had their chicken fingers which were some of the best I've had anywhere, and the General Tso chicken which was good, also. There were some buffet items, but mine were cooked fresh.

There's a small seating area off to the left of the restaurant which can't be seen from the street. Worth a try.

2z58yu9.jpg

99o0h0.jpg

A

Abuela

Saturday we tried the new PC chinese restaurant and let's just say the long standing one in Cabarete has not lost our loyalty.
With Seamonkey's tip we asked for the menu and chose our seat. Opposite us a Chinese man scraped blistered paint off the wall with a meat cleaver. I prayed it would not be the cleaver cutting our meat choices.
We ordered from the photo menu, two spring rolls, pork fried rice and a gen tsao's looking chicken dish.
A few minutes passed and a kitchen debate could be overheard. Our waitress went out front and brought the menu back to them where it appeared they were studying the photos to learn the recipe.
We were entertained for our 35 minute wait by a kitchen worker covering the cleaver scraped spots with noxious paint.
When the chicken dish appeared with one fork and a small cocktail napkin, I asked the waitron for a fork for my husband and she said in 15 minutes when his rice is ready. After the rice with the cardboard pork arrived, we were presented with the appetizer spring rolls. The likely jefe appeared asked in chinese how everything was, my esposo asked for duck and soy sauce. He came back with two drops of soy sauce in a tiny child's tea set size dish and squirted one squirt of ketchup on his plate. Sorry Tee but the spring rolls were hot but clearly the frozen variety. You didn't miss anything.

P

Polar Bear

I guess we'll just have to hold our collective breath for your review....assuming that they remain open long enough for you to return LOL :cheeky:

T

tee

The prices are a lot more reasonable than this place in Sosua! Will have to try it

Last edited:

2dlight

I am intrigued by #36 on the menu as it relates to "special salt" Is that Himalayan Pink or Black salt? I have some photos of menu translation errors in three languages from a restaurant in Boca Chica that are good for a few good laughs. Will try and post.

There's a small seating area off to the left of the restaurant which can't be seen from the street. Worth a try.

2z58yu9.jpg

99o0h0.jpg
[/QUOTE]