Residency renewal streamlined

J

jaxter

do we still need to go to Santo Domingo to purchase insurance for temp res renews?

P

PCMike

I believe this started a few weeks ago, as I started my renewal Apr 28th. No papers required other than what I scanned. I just got notification that payment whs being processed and the will contact me by email once ready. A very simple and clean process. I assume that the medical will still be required(makes no sense...but still a few things like that here). I will still take my existing residency card, cedula and passport with me when attending the interview...to be on the safe side.

C

cavok

do we still need to go to Santo Domingo to purchase insurance for temp res renews?

You don't necessarily have to go to SD to purchase the insurance. The different companies that offer it are in many different cities here in the DR. Go to the office closest to you.

J

jaxter

Thats the problem. I dont know but two and trying to research the companies here are like herding cats :)
Thank you for answering. ill go with what i learned from the board. ilive in pto plata and its hard to trust in this country.

C

cavok

Thats the problem. I dont know but two and trying to research the companies here are like herding cats :)
Thank you for answering. ill go with what i learned from the board. ilive in pto plata and its hard to trust in this country.

No need to research them and I think that there are only three. Seguros Patria is one and they have an office in Pto. Plata. They are whom I've been using for the last two years.

D

Drro

Patria also has an office in Sosua and are licensed to write these policies as well. They are located across the street from the Police Station and Playero.

C

cavok

It appears that medicals are no longer being done in Pto. Plata and probably not in other substations either. A friend of mine who is currently doing his initial residency was scheduled to go to PP. He just got word that it has been cancelled and he now must go to SD for the medical. He's waiting for an appointment time and date.

D

drstock

Patria also has an office in Sosua and are licensed to write these policies as well. They are located across the street from the Police Station and Playero.

That's good news. In the past I have gone from Cabarete to the office in Puerto Plata.

P

PCMike

LOL...tried to pay online, but rejected. A minute after...booked a flight...accepted! Thus no problem with the card. Decided to pay there...my appointment??? 8am in Santo Domingo! So...I have to book a hotel so I can be there???? NOT A CHANCE!!! I have requested a more country wide appointment. LOL...third world problems...all looks good...but a ways to go!

T

TropicalPaul

LOL...tried to pay online, but rejected. A minute after...booked a flight...accepted! Thus no problem with the card. Decided to pay there...my appointment??? 8am in Santo Domingo! So...I have to book a hotel so I can be there???? NOT A CHANCE!!! I have requested a more country wide appointment. LOL...third world problems...all looks good...but a ways to go!

I think the problem is that you need to pay with a Dominican bank card. International cards often don't work on government websites. And am 8am appointment means you will be first to be seen so you'll be in and out quickly.

C

cavok

If you get an appointment much after 1pm, you're starting to cut it close to get your cedula at JCE and ending up to have to spend the night to get it the next day.

B

Billp16

Paid on-line with foreign credit card, printed the receipt, hit "complete process" - worked perfectly here. No issue at all.

T

TropicalPaul

Paid on-line with foreign credit card, printed the receipt, hit "complete process" - worked perfectly here. No issue at all.

I said that foreign cards "often" don't work. There are exceptions.

T

TropicalPaul

I do think that there needs to be an attitude adjustment by some people living here / posting on this forum. I have seen the lines of people who wait at Galleria 360 just to get inside the US Visa processing office, mostly to pay a fee and then be told some months later that they have been rejected and will not be allowed to visit the US. Whilst "shock horror" we have presumably a US resident who thinks it is terrible to be offered an appointment at a time which does not suit him at a location that does not suit him which might put him to the inconvenience of paying $60 to stay in a hotel.

For most of us, we are visitors to this country, there is nothing which forces the Dominican Republic to accept us as residents. The country is now beginning to think far more seriously about who it wants in and out, in April 10,000 foreigners were denied entry or deported (and they were not all Haitians).

E

Eyes

This new pay online process can only improve the very repetitive task of renewing every year excellent in my opinion we’re in a new digital world!

B

Big

I do think that there needs to be an attitude adjustment by some people living here / posting on this forum. I have seen the lines of people who wait at Galleria 360 just to get inside the US Visa processing office, mostly to pay a fee and then be told some months later that they have been rejected and will not be allowed to visit the US. Whilst "shock horror" we have presumably a US resident who thinks it is terrible to be offered an appointment at a time which does not suit him at a location that does not suit him which might put him to the inconvenience of paying $60 to stay in a hotel.

For most of us, we are visitors to this country, there is nothing which forces the Dominican Republic to accept us as residents. The country is now beginning to think far more seriously about who it wants in and out, in April 10,000 foreigners were denied entry or deported (and they were not all Haitians).

Yes its shocking that people move here, open businesses, raise families, contribute large amounts of money to the GDP and play by all the rules and then have the audacity to expect service from the government.

T

TropicalPaul

Yes its shocking that people move here, open businesses, raise families, contribute large amounts of money to the GDP and play by all the rules and then have the audacity to expect service from the government.

I am a person who has moved here, got my residency, opened a business which is properly registered and pay several hundred thousand pesos in tax each month. I get nothing but respect from the government as well as great service from immigration. I've never once been told to stand in line for several hours for the pleasure of entering the country (as I frequently have been when entering the U.S.). Personally I don't think that being given an appointment time and told to come to a specific place to get your visa is an example of bad service.

A lot of people on DR1 spend hours explaining how it is not necessary to pay taxes, it's not necessary to go through the legal residency process, don't worry about charging and paying ITBIS or Propinas Legal. These are the ones who are horrified that the government is taking measures to get things organised and putting in more robust procedures.

B

bienamor

I don't see how having the appointment for your residency is any worse and maybe better than the same appointment system used at the US consult! Have had 9:30 appointments there and have not gotten to seen anyone until 4 hours later. I think they give the same appointment time to everyone even though you can pick your date and time