Helping Expats When Dealing With The Fiscalia

H

Harleysrock

I've been saying it here for years. The police in this country know who does what
and its tolerated (to an extent) until one of them screws up and hurts or kills their victim.
Anyone who disagrees with me does not understand the way things work down here.

They know EXACTLY who does what and are not as stupid as many think!

W

william webster

I'm not sure I see the point of this thread...

except that residents and citizens are free at fiscalia,,, others are not

J

jimmythegreek

I'm not sure I see the point of this thread...

except that residents and citizens are free at fiscalia,,, others are not

Unfortunately, all the discussion after my initial post became something completely other than what I experienced at the Fiscalia. Maybe some of you had a good experience, but for many others, there has been zero investigation of criminal evidence and in many cases families left in difficult situations...potentially life threatening....

So no there is a point to this thread for many out there.

D

Drperson

Unfortunately, all the discussion after my initial post became something completely other than what I experienced at the Fiscalia. Maybe some of you had a good experience, but for many others, there has been zero investigation of criminal evidence and in many cases families left in difficult situations...potentially life threatening....

I think all experiences are worthwhile hearing about

C

CristoRey

I would not bother wasting my time at the Fiscalla. I've lived in enough
developing countries around the world to know better. Life in developing
countries requires a certain degree of toughness and ability to resolve
issues without running to the police every time you are a victim of a crime.

J

jimmythegreek

I would not bother wasting my time at the Fiscalla. I've lived in enough
developing countries around the world to know better. Life in developing
countries requires a certain degree of toughness and ability to resolve
issues without running to the police every time you are a victim of a crime.

Yeah well I am sure when the point came that I had to physically protect myself and my family from that criminal threat...the story would be completely different at that Fiscalia...I think you can understand the level of corruption that is going on there to appreciate what I am saying here.

D

DR_Guy

Maybe you can share with us what happened to more fully understand what happened. I think a lot of times issues are case specific. If its in another post can you share the link?

C

Cdn_Gringo

This is an example of a reality one must accept when choosing to live in the 3rd world. Foreigners generally can't sue and litigate their way out of most problems and they are behind the 8 ball when it comes to pursuing "fairness" against a national.

Just as we learn to accept that in the DR stopping at the scene of an accident to render assistance is not a particularly good idea, "we" eventually learn that the legal system offers us little in the way of justice or problem resolution. CristoRey has basically stated the obvious, it's generally a waste of time and money trying to use the law to deal with conflicts here when dealing with an unsympathetic and uncooperative party.

Last edited:
B

bob saunders

The laws here work rather strangely. A friend of my wife's heard a crashing and banging noise downstairs. Thinking there was someone breaking in, she turned on the floodlights to find her brother smashing things. She tried to stop him and he backhanded her and was high on Crack. She called the cops and had him arrested. Currently he is resting his ass in jail in La Vega. If she decides she want him to go to jail for what he did, he will spend two to three years in jail. What she wants is him to go into drug rehab. The police/government seem to have little role in charging him with assault , destruction of private property, trespassing...etc.

C

Cdn_Gringo

The treatment of Dominicans by the "law" and the treatment foreigners receive are predicated on two entirely different approaches.

C

cobraboy

The police/government seem to have little role in charging him with assault , destruction of private property, trespassing...etc.
Isn't this part of the Napoleonic Code?

When our home was invaded and the cops came and took the perp away (where he was not treated kindly in jail), we had to go to the PN and decide to press charges or not. There was no State vs. Perp. It had to be Evil CB vs. Perp.

N

NanSanPedro

When our home was invaded and the cops came and took the perp away (where he was not treated kindly in jail), we had to go to the PN and decide to press charges or not. There was no State vs. Perp. It had to be Evil CB vs. Perp.

Did you press charges? I would think it would not be a good idea, but that's my very limited experience here.

C

CristoRey

..it's generally a waste of time and money trying to use the law to deal with conflicts here when dealing with an unsympathetic and uncooperative party.

100% aGREED, besides, I'd rather save money and that
means more to spend on beer and prostitutes next time I'm
up in Sosua :cheeky:

C

cobraboy

Did you press charges? I would think it would not be a good idea, but that's my very limited experience here.
I've told the story here in detail.

No, we did not press charges. It was a prank with mistaken identity that went very, very badly for the two young guys.

W

windeguy

Most should all ready have a personal attorney they trust.

There really is no such thing here in my opinion.

The OP is essentially and explanation why I hate dealing with lawyers anywhere and triply so here.

W

windeguy

The DR no longer uses the Napoleonic card, but some officials still think it is under the old code.

W

william webster

Windy -
I have a trustworthy lawyer.... and surely others do...

Hard to find ??
maybe... but doable

W

windeguy

Sorry, Napoleonic Code is not used any more despite people thinking it still exists ( I had a typo above with the word "card" by mistake).

W

windeguy

Windy -
I have a trustworthy lawyer.... and surely others do...

Hard to find ??
maybe... but doable

I do understand that you have one you trust. I have never found such a lawyer. Other's results may vary.

To those that suggest finding a trustworthy lawyer before you really need one: How do you verify that trustworthiness with no personal experience of them acting upon your behalf?

C

cobraboy

I do understand that you have one you trust. I have never found such a lawyer. Other's results may vary.

To those that suggest finding a trustworthy lawyer before you really need one: How do you verify that trustworthiness with no personal experience of them acting upon your behalf?
Like any professional, by a referral from someone you trust.