The drought is here to stay - The UN has spoken

C

cobraboy

Get real guys, a couple days of rain has made you forget the months of drought. When cows are dying of thirst, platanos are at 20-25 pesos a unit, you just know some **** aint working right.
The only crazies screaming " fake news " on global warming are sad selfish 70+ years old. I just hope they go extinct, before they lead the whole world on the extinction path.
In the 12 years I have lived in the DR, there has been a dry season when water levels go down and water is scarce.

The old timers also say as much. Sometimes it's worse, sometimes better, but there is always a dry season.

And wet seasons.

G

Gadfly

I saw a documentary on climate change on tv 6 yrs ago, probably on PBS, among other concerning predictions it said the Caribbean would likely suffer from severe droughts in the coming decades leading to large diasporas, unless we stop global warming.

D

DR Solar

Being here 20 years, droughts have been a way of life for about 5 years. Very different from the 15 years before.

C

chico bill

Being here 20 years, droughts have been a way of life for about 5 years. Very different from the 15 years before.

Hmm I guess you forget the floods 4 years ago where it rained and washed out all the roads, and several brides and how about Maranata and the Airport flooding twice just recently in 2018, and that's just the North Coast. Your memory needs some Ginkgo Biloba

C

chico bill

I saw a documentary on climate change on tv 6 yrs ago, probably on PBS, among other concerning predictions it said the Caribbean would likely suffer from severe droughts in the coming decades leading to large diasporas, unless we stop global warming.

Yeah and saw a documentaries on TV on the ozone hole that would kill life on earth and Y2K destroying all electronics and I'm still alive and my computer never died in 2000.
Scare tactics are to trick you in to believing giving them your money for their projects is somehow holy and your responsibility.
Quit being suckered

T

Tarheel

Get real guys, a couple days of rain has made you forget the months of drought. When cows are dying of thirst, platanos are at 20-25 pesos a unit, you just know some **** aint working right.
The only crazies screaming " fake news " on global warming are sad selfish 70+ years old. I just hope they go extinct, before they lead the whole world on the extinction path.

You're right Malko. More and more of them will die soon. We just got rid of the bunch that claimed the moon landing was actually in Arizona.

B

bob saunders

Wow! The hurricanes are scared of mountains. Great point Crowboy.

The mountains create pressure systems that normally help push hurricanes away. Obviously not always as he hurricane season in the Caribbean begins on June 1st and finishes in November. In Dominican Republic the most active months months for a cyclone is usually mid August through September. The island gets a serious brush on average every 5.03 years. It is averaged that we get a direct hit once every 22.66 years.

We have had 22 hurricanes that have impacted the coast from 1871 to 2004 of which 5 were very devastating.
September 3, 1930: Huracán San Zenón (4,500 (some accounts say more than 8,000) lives lost. This was one of the top five most devastating Caribbean cyclones) ; October 3, 1963: Huracán Flora (400 lives lost) ;September 26, 1966: Huracán Inés (60 lives lost); August 31, 1979: Huracán David (1,000+ lives lost) ; September 22, 1988: Huracán Georges (247 lives lost)

C

chico bill

Land mass with mountains do divert hurricanes. Known fact.
Meanwhile we have one month of hurricane season. So far one major hurricane this year making almost landfall, way below historical average. And hoping it stays that way.
Yeah the Global Warming is going to generate many more.
The good part about time is Global Warming will be proven to be another farce - we can all wait out the next 11 years.

N

NALs

So the drought is here to stay. I don't know if these clowns have seen how close the DR has come to being hit by a major hurricane the past few years. By the grace of god (and some strong high pressure systems) we have been spared a few direct hits.

If and when we do get nailed by a hurricane these same clowns that preached drought will scream from the hill tops about climate change. Never once accepting that the Dominican Republic is smack dab in the middle of the Caribbean and is prone to hurricanes and tropical storms.

Yesterday I watched a bit of the local news where all these hysterical students where about to march for awareness of climate change. Some of these same idiots dusted off their old "global warming" banners to participate in the march while they where wearing down filled jackets and toques (head warmers for you Americans). This is still September and if you have to wear a winter jacket in western Canada in September there is no global warming and they are either to stupid or to lazy to realize this.

I have to ask is there so little real news in the world today that the media has to endorse this hysterical frenzy of climate change. I totally agree we need to start taking some serious action about looking after our world and managing it a lot better than we are. But enough with the fake crap. Start listening to actual science not the hyped up crap.
The DR has one of the lowest direct hit risks by hurricanes in the Caribbean Archipelago. I remember seeing a map many years ago of the risks that faces the Caribbean islands + Florida, and there is a greater risk in several islands of the Lesser Antilles, certain areas of Cuba, and much of the east coast of Florida than along the shores of the DR. The parts with the greatest risks in the DR is along the Caribbean coast in the eastern region and along the Peninsula of Bahoruco in the extreme southwest. Even in these places the risks are not as high as in coastal places of Florida or certain islands in the Lesser Antilles.

Last edited:
C

cobraboy

Hurricanes are primarily low-level storms.

The mountains cause friction, and hurricanes are slowed and change direction because of this land friction, like a spinning top deflected by any object.

S

Salsafan

Due to the climate change the hurricanes will come more often and more stronger.

C

Cdn_Gringo

It appears that some are taking a liberal approach to the definition of a drought. There are 4 types of drought but we are primarily discussing the meteorological definition.

A period of time when a region receives a below average amount of precipitation resulting in a negative impact.

The fact that it rained in a given place any number of times does not automatically negate a drought condition. It rains in the desert every now and again (sometimes delivering a significant amount of water) but it is still a desert. Likewise, a large storm such as a hurricane or other significant precipitation event is usually insufficient on its own to end a period of drought. Only when the actual rainfall amounts approach the statistical norm would a drought condition be declared over.

Many locations have a wet and a dry season. A drought can be declared in either season when the rainfall totals are less than average and this reduction in participation has agriculture, hydrological, meteorological or socioeconomic effects over time.

Rainfall amounts here in the DR have been declining over the past years, with both the wet & dry seasons experiencing less than historically average rainfall amounts. If this trend continues the new norm will be reservoirs holding less volume than before, rivers and streams with a reduced flow and drier soil conditions. The DR is still in the tropics so it will continue to rain here, however, when was the last time you can remember it raining all day or all night (the weeks long deluge of a few years ago doesn't count)? I have a difficult time remembering a continuous rain event of a couple of hours or longer.

It doesn't matter so much what the cause of the reduced rainfall is, be it human or environmental. The result over time is cumulative. If an area receives less rain year after year, that is water that can't be recovered and does not replenish the aquifers, reservoirs, lakes and rivers. If one is being objective and the recorded numbers support the premise that there is less rainfall, then a drought is a drought and its cause is secondary. There is probably nothing that people can do to change such a situation in the short and medium terms. As far as I can tell, for the past few years the total rainfall in the DR is not meeting the needs of the human population or the natural environment.

B

bob saunders

Actually here in Jarabacoa we had several days of rain in a row with it raining most of the night. The DR has a number of microclimates and the whole country is not suffering from a drought.

R

ramesses

It appears that some are taking a liberal approach to the definition of a drought. There are 4 types of drought but we are primarily discussing the meteorological definition.

A period of time when a region receives a below average amount of precipitation resulting in a negative impact.

The fact that it rained in a given place any number of times does not automatically negate a drought condition. It rains in the desert every now and again (sometimes delivering a significant amount of water) but it is still a desert. Likewise, a large storm such as a hurricane or other significant precipitation event is usually insufficient on its own to end a period of drought. Only when the actual rainfall amounts approach the statistical norm would a drought condition be declared over.

Many locations have a wet and a dry season. A drought can be declared in either season when the rainfall totals are less than average and this reduction in participation has agriculture, hydrological, meteorological or socioeconomic effects over time.

Rainfall amounts here in the DR have been declining over the past years, with both the wet & dry seasons experiencing less than historically average rainfall amounts. If this trend continues the new norm will be reservoirs holding less volume than before, rivers and streams with a reduced flow and drier soil conditions. The DR is still in the tropics so it will continue to rain here, however, when was the last time you can remember it raining all day or all night (the weeks long deluge of a few years ago doesn't count)? I have a difficult time remembering a continuous rain event of a couple of hours or longer.

It doesn't matter so much what the cause of the reduced rainfall is, be it human or environmental. The result over time is cumulative. If an area receives less rain year after year, that is water that can't be recovered and does not replenish the aquifers, reservoirs, lakes and rivers. If one is being objective and the recorded numbers support the premise that there is less rainfall, then a drought is a drought and its cause is secondary. There is probably nothing that people can do to change such a situation in the short and medium terms. As far as I can tell, for the past few years the total rainfall in the DR is not meeting the needs of the human population or the natural environment.

This is a good, thoughtful post.

C

Caonabo

The mountains create pressure systems that normally help push hurricanes away. Obviously not always as he hurricane season in the Caribbean begins on June 1st and finishes in November. In Dominican Republic the most active months months for a cyclone is usually mid August through September. The island gets a serious brush on average every 5.03 years. It is averaged that we get a direct hit once every 22.66 years.

We have had 22 hurricanes that have impacted the coast from 1871 to 2004 of which 5 were very devastating.
September 3, 1930: Huracán San Zenón (4,500 (some accounts say more than 8,000) lives lost. This was one of the top five most devastating Caribbean cyclones) ; October 3, 1963: Huracán Flora (400 lives lost) ;September 26, 1966: Huracán Inés (60 lives lost); August 31, 1979: Huracán David (1,000+ lives lost) ; September 22, 1988: Huracán Georges (247 lives lost)

We are due.

C

Caonabo

Due to the climate change the hurricanes will come more often and more stronger.

Climate change? Has it begun to snow in RD?
What has actually changed in regards to the climate here in the last 100 years?