Electric Car Charging stations?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Electric cars soon to be regulars in the East
InterEnergy Group announced the forming of a joint venture with Blink Charging Co. to develop electric vehicle charging station products in the east of the country.

“We are very excited to enter the electric mobility market. We see the roll-out of a network of EV charging stations as a key part of our mission to continue to bring reliable and cost-effective energy alternatives to our region”, said Gonzalez Bunster.

InterEnergy is the exclusive supplier of electricity to the fast-growing tourism resort area of Punta Cana-Bavaro, covering over 50,000 hotel rooms and over 40,000 low-tension clients.

“This joint venture to bring EV charging infrastructure to the Caribbean and Latin America will make it possible for these countries to begin importing EVs and join the movement from fossil-fuel driven economies to sustainable green ones,” stated Blink’s founder and executive chairman Michael D. Farkas. He continued: “The Caribbean and Latin America are facing a classic chicken and egg scenario — the lack of EV charging infrastructure is stopping the importation and sale of EVs and vice versa. Our JV intends to solve the puzzle. Our JV will invest in developing, deploying, managing, and maintaining the charging infrastructure and will begin to expand the availability of charging ports in the Caribbean and Latin America so that the citizens and guests of those countries can enjoy the benefits of driving EVs.”

https://cepm.com.do/en/blink-and-int...understanding/

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I anxiously await how these charging stations will work out. How long before they are vandalized or just left to disrepair?

In the DR I have a saying, "It used to work."

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Electric cars soon to be regulars in the East
InterEnergy Group announced the forming of a joint venture with Blink Charging Co. to develop electric vehicle charging station products in the east of the country.

“We are very excited to enter the electric mobility market. We see the roll-out of a network of EV charging stations as a key part of our mission to continue to bring reliable and cost-effective energy alternatives to our region”, said Gonzalez Bunster.

InterEnergy is the exclusive supplier of electricity to the fast-growing tourism resort area of Punta Cana-Bavaro, covering over 50,000 hotel rooms and over 40,000 low-tension clients.

“This joint venture to bring EV charging infrastructure to the Caribbean and Latin America will make it possible for these countries to begin importing EVs and join the movement from fossil-fuel driven economies to sustainable green ones,” stated Blink’s founder and executive chairman Michael D. Farkas. He continued: “The Caribbean and Latin America are facing a classic chicken and egg scenario — the lack of EV charging infrastructure is stopping the importation and sale of EVs and vice versa. Our JV intends to solve the puzzle. Our JV will invest in developing, deploying, managing, and maintaining the charging infrastructure and will begin to expand the availability of charging ports in the Caribbean and Latin America so that the citizens and guests of those countries can enjoy the benefits of driving EVs.”

https://cepm.com.do/en/blink-and-int...understanding/[/QUOTE
That should help, give a boost to the few Evs here and encourage more.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
I like the looks of the three wheelers from Alibaba.com selling for $2,500 USD that charge in 1 to 4 hours and go supposedly 100 klicks on a charge. They on the website look a lot like little Can Am Spyders.

xstew

Jul 4, 2012
I like the looks of the three wheelers from Alibaba.com selling for $2,500 USD that charge in 1 to 4 hours and go supposedly 100 klicks on a charge. They on the website look a lot like little Can Am Spyders.

In a country known world wide for it's power problems. This seems a little like wishfull thinking.

A man i know who works for the CDE told me this story. It seems hard to believe but i'm shure it happened.

He was working on the new dam they had built. Within was the power control station located near the bottom of the dam. The station controled the level of water that passed theu the turbines and had to be monitered at all times so as not to flood and damage the whole control equipment area.
Well it happened that the engineer's working there had not been payed for over 2 months. They were in the test and acceptance phase of the control equipment when they were told the pay master had arrived ! This created a mass exodious from the control room in a mad rush to get their check . This left the water level controls un attended and the control area was filled with water damaging 2 years of work as every thing had to be replaced and re installed.

Tell me what you would do with hundred's of electric car's in an event like this.
He is still working for the CDE and he says the salery payment day's are still not on time.

Tell me this would never happen again. I have been trying to get paid for work done for the CDE for over quite some years.

Good luck with Electric cars !

Would i ever buy an electric car in the D.R.
Dont eaven ask Me !

etolw

Banned
Oct 6, 2018
In a country known world wide for it's power problems. This seems a little like wishfull thinking.

Good luck with Electric cars !

Would i ever buy an electric car in the D.R.
Dont eaven ask Me !

Don’t live in the past windy, changes are happening believe it or not. Or is change only possible in Sosua:classic:

Electric car in RD, should be possible in a few years. Today only for early adopters/enthusiasts, but why do you think nothing will improve, your statement is very negative and in my opinion not well founded.

https://www.energiaestrategica.com/1000-mw-en-cuatro-anos-el-plan-de-expansion-de-energias-renovables-que-trabaja-republica-dominicana/

https://www.pv-magazine-latam.com/2019/11/20/comienza-la-construccion-de-parque-solar-de-58-mw-en-la-republica-dominicana/

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
When Electric cars first appeared in Norway about 25yrs ago (give or take), they were tiny, and most were made by a Norwegian company ("THINK"--can't remember the exact name right now). They were also ugly, impractical, small, and very had little range.

Look at how far things have come in 25yrs!

It's astonishing. Honestly, It's more then just a little shocking. Now everyone around us (where i work) has electric cars. Most taxis are now electric cars. Oslo is chalk full of electric cars. They out sell gas cars. They're everywhere. Literally.

I'm not sure many people saw it coming 25yrs ago.

Now, do i think the DR will experience this evolution as quickly as an industrial first world country? I have no idea. But anything is possible. And 25yrs from now, most of us on here will be long gone--or close to it, and an entire new generation & new technologies will be forthcoming. A lot of people today do not see it coming...just like we didn't see it coming 25yrs ago in Norway.

One reason why it (electric cars) works so will in Northern Europe is this:

1. Electricity is cheap.
2. Hydro electricity is plentiful in Norway.
3. The Governments created financial incentives so that people will switch to EV's.
4. The infrastructure (Charging stations) are plentiful & well maintained.
5. EV's are superior to a gas car in nearly every way, except driving distances/time.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Don’t live in the past windy, changes are happening believe it or not. Or is change only possible in Sosua:classic:

Electric car in RD, should be possible in a few years. Today only for early adopters/enthusiasts, but why do you think nothing will improve, your statement is very negative and in my opinion not well founded.

https://www.energiaestrategica.com/1000-mw-en-cuatro-anos-el-plan-de-expansion-de-energias-renovables-que-trabaja-republica-dominicana/

https://www.pv-magazine-latam.com/2019/11/20/comienza-la-construccion-de-parque-solar-de-58-mw-en-la-republica-dominicana/

I am a retired electronic design engineer. The types of projects I worked on are similar to the types of embedded controllers used in electric vehicles to control motors, read temperature sensors, and charge batteries, etc. I don't live in the past, I live in the DR and understand the socio-economic challenges of maintaining charging stations in public areas. Add that to the fact that I am a realist and not an optimist and I have serious doubts how long those stations will remain functional.

I see Frank12 just pointed out way EV's are so popular in his own personal nirvana of Norway. Do any of those situations apply to the DR regarding the government subsidizing EV sales, a cheap and reliable power grid, etc?

What brands of electric vehicles currently has dealers here in the DR?

etolw

Banned
Oct 6, 2018
I am a retired electronic design engineer. The types of projects I worked on are similar to the types of embedded controllers used in electric vehicles to control motors, read temperature sensors, and charge batteries, etc. I don't live in the past, I live in the DR and understand the socio-economic challenges of maintaining charging stations in public areas. Add that to the fact that I am a realist and not an optimist and I have serious doubts how long those stations will remain functional.

I see Frank12 just pointed out way EV's are so popular in his own personal nirvana of Norway. Do any of those situations apply to the DR regarding the government subsidizing EV sales, a cheap and reliable power grid, etc?

What brands of electric vehicles currently has dealers here in the DR?

Dominican Republic has 10 models, these are: Nissan Leaf 2015, Nissan leaf 2018, Fiat 500, BMW i3, Tesla model 3, Tesla model X, Hyundai IONIQ, Kia Soul, Chevrolet Volty and the Mercedes Benz Smart.

There is currently a network of Level 2 electric chargers, distributed in different parts of the Dominican Republic: six in Santo Domingo, three in the North Zone and one in Punta Cana, with a projection of installation of new chargers between 2018 -2019 to total 50 units.

Current stations desember 2019
https://www.electromaps.com/en/charging-stations/dominican-republic

In 2013 the Electric Mobility Incentives Law number 103-13 was promulgated in the country and it was not until 2018 that importers were able to use it. This law allows the import of electric vehicles paying only 50% of tariff, 50% Itbis and 50% of first plate.

Last edited:

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
50 chargers in total in the entire DR? It is a start, but that would not make be run out and get an EV tomorrow.
Maybe if that number hits 50 times that and there are some on the north coast as well.

And only paying 50% of the normal ridiculously high taxes like import tariffs, ITIBIS and first registration. I suppose that will help for people with their own charging stations, but that is going to mean those chargers are in secure locations at their residences.

etolw

Banned
Oct 6, 2018
50 chargers in total in the entire DR? It is a start, but that would not make be run out and get an EV tomorrow.
Maybe if that number hits 50 times that and there are some on the north coast as well.

And only paying 50% of the normal ridiculously high taxes like import tariffs, ITIBIS and first registration. I suppose that will help for people with their own charging stations, but that is going to mean those chargers are in secure locations at their residences.

Owners of EV’s installs their own charger at home, no big deal. And only charges on the road when they need to travel at distance, which this country does not have much of.

A question to you, how many gas stations are there in this country. And there is no cigar for answering this...

If you think you need 50x50=2500 public charging stations, you shuld use your engineering brain and do another calculus.

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Owners of EV’s installs their own charger at home, no big deal. And only charges on the road when they need to travel at distance, which this country does not have much of.

A question to you, how many gas stations are there in this country. And there is no cigar for answering this...

If you think you need 50x50=2500 public charging stations, you shuld use your engineering brain and do another calculus.

Exactly. Everyone with EV's charge their cars overnight at home. You only need the charging stations in situations where you are traveling to such an extent that you cannot make it back home to re-charge.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

The precise problem is that people will need to install their own charging stations if they want an EV. That means they need to install charging stations where there is a sufficiently hefty circuit and in a protected parking location. If you have been to Santo Domingo where most of the population of the DR lives, how many people live in location with that option? How many even in Puerto Plata City would be able to have that option, or Santiago, the second largest city in the DR? Enough so that EVs will soon outnumber fossil fueled cars sold in the DR like in Norway?

A lot more charging stations would be needed, that is true, 2,500 would be an insignificant number.

I missed the gem of all thought processes in your reply. How long does it take to fill up a a fossil fueled car versus even a quick charge of an EV? A couple of minutes versus a couple of hours per vehicle. The fossil fuel station also receives payment while the public chargers are "free" . How many fossil fuel stations exist is not really a talking point in this discussion about how practical it is to have an EV in the DR.

Last edited:

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Exactly. Everyone with EV's charge their cars overnight at home. You only need the charging stations in situations where you are traveling to such an extent that you cannot make it back home to re-charge.

And how many people have the option in the DR to install such a charging station in a secure location? Keep in mind it needs to be hooked to their own power meter and not tapped into by others when they are not around. I recently visited a friend of mine in NY who has a Chevy Volt. I liked it. He put his own level 2 charger in two different locations, his house and his lake house. It works for him. Here is info on the basics of chargers:

https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1098401_electric-car-charging-the-basics-you-need-to-know

Last edited:

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
The precise problem is that people will need to install their own charging stations if they want an EV. That means they need to install charging stations where there is a sufficiently hefty circuit and in a protected parking location. If you have been to Santo Domingo where most of the population of the DR lives, how many people live in location with that option? How many even in Puerto Plata City would be able to have that option, or Santiago, the second largest city in the DR? Enough so that EVs will soon outnumber fossil fueled cars sold in the DR like in Norway?

A lot more charging stations would be needed, that is true, 2,500 would be an insignificant number.

I missed the gem of all thought processes in your reply. How long does it take to fill up a a fossil fueled car versus even a quick charge of an EV? A couple of minutes versus a couple of hours per vehicle. The fossil fuel station also receives payment while the public chargers are "free" . How many fossil fuel stations exist is not really a talking point in this discussion about how practical it is to have an EV in the DR.

Mike,

People have the option to charge their EV's at home with either 220, or a fast charger that you pay a company to come out and install it in your garage. Rich people in the DR can certainly afford it many times over.

With electric motorcycles or scooters, you can charge them with 110 or 220 in most cases.

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Let me just clarify, I don't expect this to happen overnight in the DR. I'm talking 5, 10, 15, & 20yrs from now things will be completely different then they are right now. That's how it happened in northern Europe.

It started with a small EV company "THINK," and just escalated from there. Now you can even see electric bicycles everywhere in Europe.