New Bavaro international Airport in Macao.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Makes sense.

Riding from Sabana de la Mar around the East recently, I wondered about the long transfers to the new resorts north of the Punta Cana airport, especially in Macao and Miches.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
Makes sense.

Riding from Sabana de la Mar around the East recently, I wondered about the long transfers to the new resorts north of the Punta Cana airport, especially in Macao and Miches.

To me thats insane, we are not that big to have 1 or 2 airports in every province, we the new roads not necesary, Cancun is begger than Punta Cana and receive 4 times the flights that PUJ receive and only has 1 int airport.

aviastar

Bronze
Jan 12, 2003
www.www.www
So sad to see how Bavaro infrastructure is not developing, but everyone does what they want in order to get more money.

Thus situation will never allow to create a hub for connections in DR. Country needs roads, to clean the garbage from the streets. samana airport is dead, POP is in critical situation , but the government does not think how resolves these issues.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
the newest airport - AZS - is virtually unused........

and so close to Miches... but so far
That airport was *supposed* to feed the massive new resort development, 10,000+ rooms, on Playa Rincon.

The cratering of the world economy in 2008 and death of the principal of the development group put AZS progress in great limbo.

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
I won't hold my breath..
They are trying to around the fact that PUJ airport is privately owned I huess.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
That airport was *supposed* to feed the massive new resort development, 10,000+ rooms, on Playa Rincon.

The cratering of the world economy in 2008 and death of the principal of the development group put AZS progress in great limbo.

Similar situation with this new airport. Its for the new development at Macao. Depending on who you talk to it's supposed to have up to twelve 22 story buildings, several 3 to 4 story buildings and a golf course. Again depending what you hear between 10,000 to 12,000 rooms. It's supposed to be the new Caso De Campo.

If it goes it will be game changer out here.

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
I won't hold my breath..
They are trying to around the fact that PUJ airport is privately owned I huess.

I don't understand what you say. This airport to be built by Grupo Abrisa would be private too. To compete with the Grupo Punta Cana airport.

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
So sad to see how Bavaro infrastructure is not developing, but everyone does what they want in order to get more money.

Thus situation will never allow to create a hub for connections in DR. Country needs roads, to clean the garbage from the streets. samana airport is dead, POP is in critical situation , but the government does not think how resolves these issues.

The government is not throwing the garbage on every vacant lot. The people are doing that.

This airport is a private investment in infrastructure. Without the government. By a company that has invested in the RD for many years.

You are right about the other infrastructure in Bavaro. Research and improvement of the water system is the most critical concern. That no one is paying attention to. Development continues without thinking about where is all the water to come from. That system will fail first.

The roads are next. The narrow two lane road that provides access to all the resorts, condos, and commercial sites cannot accommodate the traffic that will come with development of all the vacant land. This just illustrates the lack of forethought and land use planning. That is legitimately the responsibility of the government. Short term expediency will cause this infrastructure to fail. Hence, those with vision are looking to Macao and Uvero Alto.

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
I don't understand what you say. This airport to be built by Grupo Abrisa would be private too. To compete with the Grupo Punta Cana airport.

Ha OK.

I thought that I saw IDAC involved in it somewhere.
Private would be better for sure but two within 15Km seems a bit of an overkill but let's see if it gets built.
On the plans I don't see a GA ramp or FBO, just big jet stuff.

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
Ha OK.

I thought that I saw IDAC involved in it somewhere.
Private would be better for sure but two within 15Km seems a bit of an overkill but let's see if it gets built.
On the plans I don't see a GA ramp or FBO, just big jet stuff.

In the video embedded in the Acento article (link in post #1), at about minute 3:21, it says something about general aviation and shows a facility with what are probably hangers or other storage for small aircraft, and for maintenance of aircraft. But, you are right they are definitely emphasizing it as an airport for big jets. Tourists, international flights.

The video also presents the airport as an alternative to Punta Cana (PUJ) if for some reason that airport is not operating, or constrained somehow. "Alternativa ante contingencias." So, they are downplaying the competitive aspect and presenting it as "marco de libre competencia" (free competition framework) in the video. They are smart and experienced. Saying all the right things.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I think it will be very hard to get any of the major airlines to open a station there.

GA, charters, and business jets will go there though.

Feb 7, 2007
I think it will be very hard to get any of the major airlines to open a station there.

GA, charters, and business jets will go there though.

I wouldn't be so sure. If the airport offers lower aircraft movement and passenger handling charges , there will be interest. PUJ is quite expensive...

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I wouldn't be so sure. If the airport offers lower aircraft movement and passenger handling charges , there will be interest. PUJ is quite expensive...

I don't see PUJ letting airlines walk away without a fight. Those investors better have very deep pockets.

KyleMackey

Bronze
Apr 20, 2015
I don't see PUJ letting airlines walk away without a fight. Those investors better have very deep pockets.

Maybe PUJ is close to reaching max capacity? It gets over 100 arrivals and departures daily. Might be room for 1 more terminal, 10 gates, to the west. Currently enough space to park 30 aircraft overnight.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
Maybe PUJ is close to reaching max capacity? It gets over 100 arrivals and departures daily. Might be room for 1 more terminal, 10 gates, to the west. Currently enough space to park 30 aircraft overnight.

PUJ soon will start another expansion with a new terminal, also has been involved in making remodelations to make it more confortable for passenger termina A, Autogate that can be used by 7 nationalities to make faster to inmigration process, and has plenty of space to build another runway to have 3 and 7 more terminals like terminal B.

I know is a private investment and I hope they hired a very good company to make the studies of factibility. If we take the same city that they compared for technical spects of having 2 airports in the same city, I can tell few things that pushed that city to have another airport that do not apply to Punta Cana.

1.- JFK Airport in NYC practically do not have too much space to expand so the option is to have another airport is correct but this do not apply to Punta Cana.

2.- NYC received last year 45 Millions visitors, Punta Cana received 3.5 Millions visitors.

3.- NYC has a population over 8 Millions aprox, Punta Cana is very far away to have a very big population.

4.- Cancun receive 3 times the flights that is receiving Punta Cana and is a way bigger city than Punta Cana and only have 1 airport.

The only airline that I can see maybe could use that airport is Azur Airlines who is using LRM airport as alternative to serve Punta Cana Area, maybe they move there some flights.

So the main question here is Does Punta Cana needs another aiport?

Hope this people is not planning a white elephant. Im not an expert but this is what I see and think.

KyleMackey

Bronze
Apr 20, 2015
PUJ soon will start another expansion with a new terminal, also has been involved in making remodelations to make it more confortable for passenger termina A, Autogate that can be used by 7 nationalities to make faster to inmigration process, and has plenty of space to build another runway to have 3 and 7 more terminals like terminal B.

I know is a private investment and I hope they hired a very good company to make the studies of factibility. If we take the same city that they compared for technical spects of having 2 airports in the same city, I can tell few things that pushed that city to have another airport that do not apply to Punta Cana.

1.- JFK Airport in NYC practically do not have too much space to expand so the option is to have another airport is correct but this do not apply to Punta Cana.

2.- NYC received last year 45 Millions visitors, Punta Cana received 3.5 Millions visitors.

3.- NYC has a population over 8 Millions aprox, Punta Cana is very far away to have a very big population.

4.- Cancun receive 3 times the flights that is receiving Punta Cana and is a way bigger city than Punta Cana and only have 1 airport.

The only airline that I can see maybe could use that airport is Azur Airlines who is using LRM airport as alternative to serve Punta Cana Area, maybe they move there some flights.

So the main question here is Does Punta Cana needs another aiport?

Hope this people is not planning a white elephant. Im not an expert but this is what I see and think.

Take NYC out of the equation totally and it is serviced by JFK, LaGuardia and Newark.

Cancun gets over 25 million total passengers annually because it has the capacity adding 2 newer terminals with lots of
dedicated gates with jet bridges over 50. PUJ has about 8 million total passengers. The only place for another runway is north and that is not ideal.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Take NYC out of the equation totally and it is serviced by JFK, LaGuardia and Newark.

Cancun gets over 25 million total passengers annually because it has the capacity adding 2 newer terminals with lots of
dedicated gates with jet bridges over 50. PUJ has about 8 million total passengers. The only place for another runway is north and that is not ideal.

I think 8 million is for the DR total. In 2018, PUJ had 3.9 million passengers.

https://www.globenewswire.com/news-...reaking-Tourism-Numbers-and-Future-Plans.html