Are Temporary Visa fairly easy to get ?

Mm530

Dec 28, 2014
Whats are the chances of being approved for a temporary visa to able to work in the country ? I visit frequently and really love it.

I have college degree. English/Spanish fully fluent + More than 20 years experience in Food Service & Guest Services in 5 star hotels in NYC , Boston & Miami.

I have a about 40k savings in US and would simply like to able to work in a hotel and use my savings very smartly for a few years ( I will live with a friend rent free),.... Any feedback ??

Mcinbrass

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
Whats are the chances of being approved for a temporary visa to able to work in the country ? I visit frequently and really love it.

I have college degree. English/Spanish fully fluent + More than 20 years experience in Food Service & Guest Services in 5 star hotels in NYC , Boston & Miami.

I have a about 40k savings in US and would simply like to able to work in a hotel and use my savings very smartly for a few years ( I will live with a friend rent free),.... Any feedback ??

Youre only going to last 90 days w 40k. No need to an extended visa

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
You need to find an employer that will sponsor your work visa and submit the application. Expect to justify how only you can perform the job to a level of expertise that your average Dominican worker cannot.

This country does not want foreigners coming here and taking jobs away from the locals. A highly skilled professional has a better chance of being accepted than does someone wishing to work the front desk at a tourist hotel.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
$40k us is still nothing for starting here!

with 40K, he can buy an economic appartment value in 1.5M pesos in non turistic area, and apply for residence as property investment will qualify and he could get the job at the front desk in the hotel. But better think very well and get all the oficial information before doing anyting. will left only 1 M pesos from his 40K USD.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Advice to the OP, Mm530. Stay in the US. Work there and save your money. Come here if you want to retire and can afford it.
Trying to work here is a fool's errand. I never, ever, recommend that anyone come here if they need to work unless they have a very profitable on line method of working. Forget about the work visa.

Mcinbrass

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
Advice to the OP, Mm530. Stay in the US. Work there and save your money. Come here if you want to retire and can afford it.
Trying to work here is a fool's errand. I never, ever, recommend that anyone come here if they need to work unless they have a very profitable on line method of working. Forget about the work visa.

Yes I agree. A lot of the guys I meet that live there are retired civil service, military and such w a good monthly pension + savings.

cmagor

Mar 2, 2019
$40k us is still nothing for starting here!

with 40K, he can buy an economic appartment value in 1.5M pesos in non turistic area, and apply for residence as property investment will qualify and he could get the job at the front desk in the hotel. But better think very well and get all the oficial information before doing anyting. will left only 1 M pesos from his 40K USD.

May be he has parents or family that will help and send money

I think you all might be overlooking one key point from the OP... "( I will live with a friend rent free)".

If I have no rent to pay, I can live for a long time on $40K here, especially if I'm sharing groceries and other expenses!

Mcinbrass

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
I think you all might be overlooking one key point from the OP... "( I will live with a friend rent free)".

If I have no rent to pay, I can live for a long time on $40K here, especially if I'm sharing groceries and other expenses!

That 40k even w no rent goes pretty fast in DR. Remember he will be supporting the GF, the GF chulo. The GF chulos child(ren) and lets not forget the whole family.

CynthiaCom

Nov 22, 2019

Hello. My name is Cynthia Comprés, an immigration attorney at Guzmán Ariza.

Based on your post, you can apply for two types of Visa depending on how you present it and how long you'd like to stay in the country. Of course, it will depend on the job offer and the type of sponsorship from a local company or employer.

If your goal is to apply for a temporary residency based on a work visa, you'll need a job offer from a Dominican company. Although the process could be long at the beginning, is fairly easy to obtain the visa with the sponsorship from your -future- employer.

On the other hand, you could apply for a business visa as a consultant to a local business. However, this doesn't allow you to apply for a residency, just a longer stay in the country and multiple entries in a year. But it is easier to obtain it.

alexw

Gold
Sep 6, 2008
NYC-SDQ BABY!
Hello. My name is Cynthia Comprés, an immigration attorney at Guzmán Ariza.

Based on your post, you can apply for two types of Visa depending on how you present it and how long you'd like to stay in the country. Of course, it will depend on the job offer and the type of sponsorship from a local company or employer.

If your goal is to apply for a temporary residency based on a work visa, you'll need a job offer from a Dominican company. Although the process could be long at the beginning, is fairly easy to obtain the visa with the sponsorship from your -future- employer.

On the other hand, you could apply for a business visa as a consultant to a local business. However, this doesn't allow you to apply for a residency, just a longer stay in the country and multiple entries in a year. But it is easier to obtain it.

Could he buy property and get an investor visa that way?

CynthiaCom

Nov 22, 2019
Could he buy property and get an investor visa that way?

Yes, he could. But the property must be an over US$200,000 investment in real estate and in the patrimony of a DR company, as the value of the shares of this company is what will qualify him as an investor.

Mm530

Dec 28, 2014
Its actually the opposite, they will be letting me live rent free with them ????????????

Mm530

Dec 28, 2014
I have a Venezeulan friend who moved to DR from Venezuela 3 years ago with a tourist visa which he overstayed. Although life isnt perfect he was STILL able to find work ... at "luxury club" that has a pool, spa and restaurant etc. & and is now doing some sort of digital work. He is working with a lawyer to apply for his residency soon( his interview is next week). He is not rich by any means but he does have some money to hang out , rents a local room & sends some money back home.

He claims DR makes it somewhat difficult to become a resident compared to the other latin countries ( Argentina, Chile) due to outdated , antiquated laws that the goverment doesnt care to change......

He mentioned although having a cedula helps ALOT with work... he was still able to find work on various occasions to make ends meet.

Maybe this route seems to be the most straight forward and effective !!

He also said when it comes to actually getting the temporary visa , they give a different consideration due to the crisis in Venezuela compared to ie. an American who can easily go back to their country... Any thoughts ?

Last edited:

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Come on down as long as you don't mind living hand to mouth and being an illegal alien. That definitely is the most "straight forward and effective way"...:alien:

Mm530

Dec 28, 2014
Come on down as long as you don't mind living hand to mouth and being an illegal alien. That definitely is the most "straight forward and effective way"...:alien:
LOL. I will . And clearly being an alien doesnt mean too much in DR. You on the other hand , live in DR and sound sooo miserable :(

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
LOL. I will . And clearly being an alien doesnt mean too much in DR. You on the other hand , live in DR and sound sooo miserable :(

I am not miserable at all. What I don't like, in any country, is people who think it is correct to be illegal.

Enjoy your hand to mouth living.

etolw

Banned
Oct 6, 2018
I am not miserable at all. What I don't like, in any country, is people who think it is correct to be illegal.

Enjoy your hand to mouth living.

As someone said, you might be in the wrong country with those values:bandit:

P.S Sorry, could not resist, peace.