Shark barrier in Sosua Bay?

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004

Or last fatality was in 2010 when a group of divers were fishing near Boca Chica. All but one left the area due to presence of sharks. The one that remained was killed by the sharks and his mutilated body brought to shore later. Links:

http://cosasnuevasrd.blogspot.com/2010/11/joven-buzo-dominicano-muere-devorado.html?m=1

http://sharkattackfile.net/spreadsheets/pdf_directory/2010.11.15-Zapata.pdf

http://www.sharkattackdata.com/attack/dominican_republic/area_unknown/2010.11.15

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Those concerned about sharks should probably consider staying out of the ocean. Apart from the 3 Sharknado films, I am unaware of a single shark attack that has occurred on land. After another million years of evolution that premise may no longer be valid.

i think you are misinformed:

[video=youtube;6TShf6gp7N4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TShf6gp7N4[/video]

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Nothing to eat fishwise equals no sharks. Florida attacks are usually small sharks following schools of bait fish in murky water accidentally nip surfers. Of course a nip can mean 100 sutures. You are as safe as anyone can be in the water while you are enjoying beautiful Sosua Beach. Being a bay we have no rip currents, no undertows and most certainly no sharks. The reefs about two hundred yards offshore still have some areas of live coral and are pretty cool. At one time they must have been beautiful. Be terrific if they can be saved.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
There will be sharks around Sosua, just as there are all around DR. It seems there is never any shortage off the South Coast for sure. The reality is that you will not see them as they are after all stealth hunters. If you are a snorkler (is that a word?) then chances are sharks have clocked you many more times than you have them. And yes, even in Sosua.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
Swimming in the reef areas should be perfectly safe. Sharks are most common in the deep water. I have not heard about a shark net. Canadian Bob.

wow what an error , the recent spate of shark attacks around the world were all in shallow water which is warmer and where the little fish are and where the sharks follow .

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
In the winter season there is usually a pod of Orca sitting around the pool at my condo.....

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
They feed on plankton and any diver can take a ride... harmless.

My longtime customers best friend's husband, swimming at dusk in a Tampa Bay channel..... was cut in half by a bull shark while she watched.:cry:

They are the ultimate murky water low-level predators... salt water or rivers.

My opinion of no shark attacks in the Dominican Republic is based on this theory. Maybe not reported to keep tourism? Or that the food chain is so rampant in deeper waters? But there has been more shark attacks that have been reported over the years.

Bull sharks were eventually found to be the water serpent of a river in New Jersey that was attacking people. They are responsible for more attacks than great whites.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
never saw the old topic from 2006,
til someone kicked it up now.
there are sharks all around the Island, along all 3 coastlines of the DR.
sharks of all kind.
deep water sharks a bit off the reefs(and for example here along PC we have deep waterbody right away once you clear the reefs) and the many smaller reef sharks.
somebody mentioned there would not be sharks around the Reefs,
well, think again about where the name Reef Sharks may come from?
and there is a good number of different big sharks feeding in the shallows around and also inside the reef barriers.
i can from own observations only talk about the Macao, Bavaro, Punta Cana and Cap Cana areas, but it will sure not be different on any other coastline around the island.
i saw a Tigershark chasing pray in waters as shallow as they hit the sandy bottom with their bellies(Macao Beach, back in 2000, my only confirmed Tiger til today, a few others been just a guess but nobody at the side to tell the same).
i shoot smaller shark species from my beach here, the Cabeza de Toro Bay. a year around supercalm Bay, completely closed off by a barrier reef a good distance from the beach.
we see frequently large sharks sweeping the Marina Basin at Cap Cana, which is full of food and on the MenMade deep entrance directly connected with deepest waterbody.
shark attacks may not appear often in any official records, the simple reason is that nobody reports such to any official station. i would honestly not know to whom report an attack to get such shown on statistics.
we have several attacks on spearfishermen here in the home bay on yearly bases, mostly the chased prey is the fishes on their belt and not the diver himself, but we have every year direct attacks on the speardiver itself. the last bad attack been this spring, when a diver lost half of his right arm 100ft from the beach in front of my house. the attack happened 4:30PM afternoon, such is not anything defined to nighttime hours or such.
we go once in a while for shark diving off Cabo Enga?o, that is the less than 20fathom shallows right off the airport, in less than 3miles of a distance to the rocks of the beach.
while fishing the shallows(not talking offshore fishing many miles off the coast, just fishing within a few hundred yards from a sandy beach) we get many times per year our "catch" taken by the nasty buggers.
they range all the way from 3ft youngsters(i prefer them for our famous shark-meat-balls snacks)up to 10ft big boys/gals, and when you spend enough time on the water along the beaches here day and night, you can't miss to see your share.
usual encounters are easy stuff, the shark takes note that you are there in the water, one observes the other, none get's suspicious that the other would chase the same prey, both walk along each's way, none is on the shopping list of the otha.
it been seldom that i sighted single sharks, for most times different kinds of sharks are present in the same area, chasing the same food/school of fishes to feed on.
to tell there are no shark attacks around the island, is a blue eyed denial of reality.
where ever you have open water/connection to the Ocean's waterbody, you have sharks.
where ever such area is in nice underwater health conditions, full of smaller species, you have a feeding ground for the bigger predators, like sharks and many others.
on the other hand,
in my good 20 years working on and in the waters of the area,
i never heard of any attack on any swimming visitor to the area.
we are not any natural prey for the ones sweeping the beaches for food.
they find a better menue, day and night, mostly.

Mike

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Bull sharks were eventually found to be the water serpent of a river in New Jersey that was attacking people. They are responsible for more attacks than great whites.

because Bullsharks are typically/often found in areas where humans frequent the water, like river inlets.
great whites typically sweep waters where no humans hang out.
thats of course for our Island, there are areas on the globe where deep ocean and human playgrounds(many include some surfer's paradise's) mingle, but the people there in the water know their risks.

Mike

May 29, 2006
I think there was a shark attack in Cabarete a couple years back, but far more people have drowned, in part because there is a riptide at times. Shark attacks are very rare in the Caribbean.

When I saw them in the Turks and Caicos Island, they were resting under reefs mid day in a strong current and I was told the only time to worry about them was around dusk or dawn.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
thats right, Peter.
it is very rare that swimmers or snorklers spot any kind of shark in the first place,
attacks on a pure swimmer(mean no speardiver who carries around fresh food o the belt or anglers who have a nice big breakfast helpless on a hook) are almost non existing.
for example the incident years back off Boca Chica, those divers been diving voluntarily in a well known shark alley, they knew whats present there in numbers, most likely the been diving there for exactly that, to dive with those sharks.
we do such here in punta cana, too, it is one of the most exiting sports activities to do, incomparable to anything else, and everybody knows the very low but existing risk that something could go wrong one day with the Predators feeding on human bait then. the Trigger could be small simple stuff.
Sharks are not of any concern for any swimmer at a beach of any of our 3 caribbean island coastlines.
but to say that's because there are no sharks, would be completely wrong, a lie.
we have Macos, Tigers, many different reef sharks and all 3 kinds of Hammerheads(running in very big packs) within eyeshot distance to most of our beaches.

Mike

davetuna

Bronze
Jun 19, 2012
Cabarete, Dominican Republic
just wondering why you say that you are killing sharks Mike?

we need all the sharks we can get............and..........sharks do not attack people.....please everyone read up........they may make an inquisitive bite to see what you are.........but sharks do NOT attack living humans......

they hunt at dawn and dusk, or in rough cloudy waters....

if a shark did attack a human, there would be nothing left...........

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
just wondering why you say that you are killing sharks Mike?

we need all the sharks we can get............and..........sharks do not attack people.....please everyone read up........they may make an inquisitive bite to see what you are.........but sharks do NOT attack living humans......

they hunt at dawn and dusk, or in rough cloudy waters....

if a shark did attack a human, there would be nothing left...........

I am a Fisherman.
I eat fish(young ones, not the ole tough to cook stuff),
I eat baby Beef
I eat baby pork
I eat sweet lil baby Sheeps
I eat young Sharks.
so i have no trouble to kill a fish, a sheep, a cow, a pig, a shark and others,
because i am a normal average meat loving human.
i would not kill on purpose a large Maco and i would not intend to kill a adult white shark, they are much too big for the own consumation, and in case of whites they are rare enough to be spared. we have sufficient species in the water which are available in large numbers, so the killings for the own dinner plate do not disturb their species existence.
"we need all the sharks we can get"
what do you mean with that?
sharks are not targeted by any commercial fleet here in my homewaters, they are not endangered to get extincted,
so the ones with the known good meat for human consumption are completely fine to take some once in a while.

Mike

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Small Mako is as good as swordfish cleaned and prepared properly. Ocean going filet mignon and even better for your heart than beef. Anywhere in the oceans or Gulfs and sometimes fresh water where there are fish there will be sharks looking for a meal. Sharks eat fish. Tiger sharks eat most anything. I think that most snorkelers and divers do not see sharks around them. Most dive masks severely limit peripheral vision. The sharks are there you just did not see them when they are off to the side. There are masks made that give excellent peripheral vision like the old three window style but then maybe its just as well you do not see so good underwater, might scare you.