Dolphins! Here we go!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Ignorance is bliss for dolphins | The Register
"'Manger' argues that if dolphins were really that bright, they would jump over tuna nets instead of getting caught in them.

And a fine article from the Onion
Study: Dolphins Not So Intelligent On Land | The Onion - America's Finest News Source where a Florida study reveals in part that "The military has claimed great success in training these mammals, utilizing their echolocation skills to detect mines that have been placed underwater," said Lindell, who conducted a similar experiment in a concrete parking lot. "We were unable to replicate this finding ourselves." Lindell added: "In most cases, the dolphins succeeded in finding land mines only when we placed them directly on top of the mines."

Last edited:

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
I forgot to say, Dolphin is classified as mammal, not fish.

no need to, ..I take it you don't eat neither pork nor poultry? ..specially that which is slaugter in DR, lol.

Smarter than dolphins, though smarter than you and I can be a possibility -it all depends on how you define smart.

Tordok

Bronze
Oct 6, 2003
the dolphins mean whatever you want them to mean

"Dolphin. Eratosthenes and others give the following reason for the dolphin?s being among the stars. Amphitrite, when Neptunus [Poseidon] desired to wed her and she preferred to keep her virginity, fled to Atlas. Neptunus sent many to seek her out, among them a certain Delphinus, who, in his wandering s among the islands, came at last to the maiden, persuaded her to marry Neptunus, and himself took charge of the wedding. In return for this service, Neptunus put the form of a dolphin among the constellations. More than this, we se that those who make statues of Neptunus place a dolphin either in his hand or beneath his foot ? a thing they think will please the god especially.? - Hyginus, Astronomica 2.17

?The Delphines (Dolphins) both rejoice in the echoing shores and dwell in the deep seas, and there is no sea without Delphines (Dophins); for Poseidon loves them exceedingly, inasmuch as when he was seeking Amphitrite the dark-eyed daughter of Nereus who fled from his embraces, Delphines (the Dolphins) marked her hiding in the halls of Okeanos and told Poseidon; and the god of the dark hair straightway carried off the maiden and overcame her against her will. Her he made his bride, queen of the sea, and for their tidings he commended his kindly attendants and bestowed on them exceeding honour for their portion.? - Oppian, Halieutica 1.383
web source-
DELPHIN : Greek dolphin god ; mythology ; constellation Delphin

So according to the wise ancient Greeks, they were pimps to the Oceans' god. Poseidon will punish us with a hurricane if we abuse these creatures..........!?!?!?!:pirate: :paranoid: :eek:gre:
- Tordok:cheeky:

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
"Dolphin. Eratosthenes and others give the following reason for the dolphin?s being among the stars. Amphitrite, when Neptunus [Poseidon] desired to wed her and she preferred to keep her virginity, fled to Atlas. Neptunus sent many to seek her out, among them a certain Delphinus, who, in his wandering s among the islands, came at last to the maiden, persuaded her to marry Neptunus, and himself took charge of the wedding. In return for this service, Neptunus put the form of a dolphin among the constellations. More than this, we se that those who make statues of Neptunus place a dolphin either in his hand or beneath his foot ? a thing they think will please the god especially.? - Hyginus, Astronomica 2.17

?The Delphines (Dolphins) both rejoice in the echoing shores and dwell in the deep seas, and there is no sea without Delphines (Dophins); for Poseidon loves them exceedingly, inasmuch as when he was seeking Amphitrite the dark-eyed daughter of Nereus who fled from his embraces, Delphines (the Dolphins) marked her hiding in the halls of Okeanos and told Poseidon; and the god of the dark hair straightway carried off the maiden and overcame her against her will. Her he made his bride, queen of the sea, and for their tidings he commended his kindly attendants and bestowed on them exceeding honour for their portion.? - Oppian, Halieutica 1.383
web source-
DELPHIN : Greek dolphin god ; mythology ; constellation Delphin

So according to the wise ancient Greeks, they were pimps to the Oceans' god. Poseidon will punish us with a hurricane if we abuse these creatures..........!?!?!?!:pirate: :paranoid: :eek:gre:
- Tordok:cheeky:

Interesting that you mention this story in particular to the "pimp" statement about dolphins. I have read that dolphins have shown sexual behavior toward humans and that they are one of the few animals beside humans that mate other than to reproduce. I'm NOT advocating zoophilia, but they are mammals after all.:cheeky:

Katrien

Sep 20, 2004
Why you should care?

Lets see what exactly it is we are talking about:

Sea Shepherd Conservation Society - Taiji

Take a look and tell me that this slaughter of mammals, who are probably just as intelligent as man, doesn't matter?

Ps. After seeing that, please tell me which one is the most "human" species?

Kind regards,

Katrien

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Errrr, now just you hang on there me harties!!!

Which comes first, the chicken or the egg?? Ain't we in one of them supply & demand type scenarios?? If there wasn't a DEMAND by humans to gawk dolphins playing catch & tag in a big pool, there wouldn't be dolphins there!! I am sure Ocean World et al wouldn't pay big bucks over to an aquarium broker to pay a few dollars over the normal price of dolphin as a meat return, if there wasn't a demand to have a big viewing show!

If you are going to start throwing blame around, go for the REAL buyers,........ not the messenger!! Let those who are in favour of the dolphins remaining in the sea, ONLY visit them in the sea & stay away from paying mega bucks at Dolphinariums etc. ~ Grahame

Lets see what exactly it is we are talking about:

Sea Shepherd Conservation Society - Taiji

Take a look and tell me that this slaughter of mammals, who are probably just as intelligent as man, doesn't matter?

Ps. After seeing that, please tell me which one is the most "human" species?

Kind regards,

Katrien

Your link is a dead link...cannot be displayed

tried 6 times doesnt work now it does,

BettyB2

Mar 9, 2006
Katrien -
thanks for the link. What an eye-opener and most of it was difficult for me to read or look at without extreme disgust.

A agree whole-heartedly that they need to stay in the ocean, but we all know that is not going to happen. Seeing and reading about the way these animals are BRUTALLY slaughtered/captured is so disheartening. The red water was just awful.

I am torn because the 12 that are coming to OW will at least be alive and have a good life (much better than being killed with the rest of the pod). Yet, I am sooo disgusted on the way they are captured (not what I imagined)

Yet, I am so against the capture of these animals due to the hearts they have.......

Going back to link to read more and probably make a donation........

shadInToronto

On Vacation....
Nov 16, 2003
.... the 12 that are coming to OW will at least be alive and have a good life (much better than being killed with the rest of the pod)....
I guess they told you living in captivity is a better life? They are meant to be free not in a little pool performing for tourists. I'd rather see them die than be in captivity ... death for free animals is better than in confined space. Man is the cruelest of all life forms. :mad:

Katrien

Sep 20, 2004
Sea Shepherd Conservation Society

Dear Betty,
I'm so happy that you are touched by this horrible slaughter. I'm sure that if someone in those eastern countries would say that eating white people is good for the skin, they would start to hunt us down too. As if shark finning isn't bad enough, they have to kill and eat the equal of man in the sea. Therefore it's true what shadInToronto says. We're not talking about pets here. These are highly intelligent mammels with complicated social structures that show proof of "manlike" feelings and habits. Putting them on display in an aquarium is just as cruel as killing them. It's like abducting your father, sister or son, just because he/she can do something special, and keeping them in prison for the rest of their life so that others can make money out of them.
Next to donations, what you and everyone CAN do is spread the word. Tell everyone about the society and make everyone aware of what is still happening so that people that do care can raise their voice and help them. As you will read, they put their money into their actions, rather then in marketing.
Big hug,
Katrien

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
I also deplore the killing of dolphins that has been going on in Taiji for hundreds of years, it is heart breaking.

The 12 animals collected for Ocean World are not captured like shown on the video. The footage taken was not even from Taiji but from another village. This is animal extremist propaganda trying to say that that footage is the Ocean World dolphins. Our animals were separated early in the 'drive' from the food animals, the ones that are not taken for aquaria are slaugthered in another bay.

The video that shows the Ocean World dolphins are not the Ocean World dolphins but dolphins that will be slaughtered. . Ric O'Barry and his friends with the video cameras were not even in the country when our animals were collected. Those dolphins would be food on the table if it weren't for us saving them from the slaughter house.

Our animals have a very good life in the largest dolphin lagoon in the world. They receive medical care, vitamins, quarterly blood exams, even ultra-sound exams when pregnant. Dolphins do not reproduce when stressed, this is proven. Our females are now getting into breeding age, we had our first baby dolphin born August 21st. Our sister facility in The Bahamas, Dolphin Encounters, has had 13 baby dolphins born.

You might be against dolphins under human care, but I invite you to our facility to see what we do and how we do it, and then you can make an informed opinion.

Katrien -
thanks for the link. What an eye-opener and most of it was difficult for me to read or look at without extreme disgust.

A agree whole-heartedly that they need to stay in the ocean, but we all know that is not going to happen. Seeing and reading about the way these animals are BRUTALLY slaughtered/captured is so disheartening. The red water was just awful.

I am torn because the 12 that are coming to OW will at least be alive and have a good life (much better than being killed with the rest of the pod). Yet, I am sooo disgusted on the way they are captured (not what I imagined)

Yet, I am so against the capture of these animals due to the hearts they have.......

Going back to link to read more and probably make a donation........

shadInToronto

On Vacation....
Nov 16, 2003
.... They receive medical care, vitamins, quarterly blood exams, even ultra-sound exams when pregnant. ...., but I invite you to our facility to see what we do and how we do it, and then you can make an informed opinion.
And who gave you custodial rights? They are meant to FREE!!!!!

Btw, the first explorers (aka interlopers) to the "new world" had similar intentions to "take care" of the people who lived there for centuries but, they're all gone now ... no Arawaks, no Caribs, no many species. :ermm:

Katrien

Sep 20, 2004
Dear Conchman,

I am neither an animal extremist, nor am I doing "propaganda" for anything or anyone.
I am an 39 year old employee, work hard for my money, and I have always felt a strong sense of responsibility to help care for the environment and animals.
The 12 animals collected for Ocean World are not captured like shown on the video. The footage taken was not even from Taiji but from another village. This is animal extremist propaganda trying to say that that footage is the Ocean World dolphins. Our animals were separated early in the 'drive' from the food animals, the ones that are not taken for aquaria are slaugthered in another bay.
Great! So since "maybe" (couldn't say it is or it isn't) the pictures and video were taken in another bay, they don't count?
But then you do admit that you use the services of these butchers to get your animals to entertain and as it's so nicely put "educate" the public with? Man, I think that's bad enough. You tell me "don't scare the public away, we care for these animals" and you employ killers to get them?
I never doubted that the ones for the aquaria were separated before they haul them out of the water. A preforming dolphin with a huge hook in his side wouldn't be very apealing. And indeed, you don't want to stress the dolphins, because they need to reproduce so they can learn the tricks from their parents in captivity and ensure the yearly cashflow. (I am not saying that the caretakers don't care for the animals, but what is important for the managers?)
Dear Conchman, I am not trying to put up a fight and I do believe in your good intensions, but there is no way you can convince me, and I really hope no one else either. It's just all wrong, so wrong!
Greetz,
Katrien

VoltageDeNYC

Feb 14, 2006
I saw parts of the video of the Taiji yesterday on the news in NY. Boy I got sick, but I couldn't look away, it was very heart breaking. I just hope that everything doesn't end up bad. I agree that it was the wrong way to get the dolphins, so hopefully they also do something to try and help them out over in the DR.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Dear Conchman, I am not trying to put up a fight and I do believe in your good intensions, but there is no way you can convince me, and I really hope no one else either. It's just all wrong, so wrong!
Greetz,
Katrien

So you have a plan ready and you are set to go take action and do better right?

Or is saying it's all wrong good enough?

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Live Free or Die?

The last thing I want to do, is to go head to head with Conchman and Oceanworld. They do good things there and they've done wonders in the Dominican Republic.

Dolphins are killed in Japan because traditionally the fishermen consider them as competition to the catch.

I just wonder if the gates were opened, in any facility, not just oceanworld, would the Dolphins stay, or would they go?

Drugdog

Mar 28, 2003
To be sushi or hand fed like a king?

Left wing tree hugging or education of humans?

Animals or human race?

So many questions. I wonder why a animal that is so smart is captured with ease. They must not be on top of the food chain. That takes us back to the sushi question. Does it really matter? Will these 12 non humans get on the internet and post a blog about how good or how bad their life is now? Do they even know?

Worry about Iran. Worry about Iraq. Worry about AIDS. Worry about bird flu. Worry about global warming. (Wind chill is 20 below in Ohio) As a frequent tourist I would be more worried that Ocean World and the resorts train employees on acts of terrorism and epidemics.

With Ocean World being praised by several "World Amusement Park" organizations I would be on their side. Unlike the slum places, Ocean World is respected. Go hug the trees or dolphins that pop up at these places. Others might jump on your train.

Kevin

Status
Not open for further replies.