When will DR open for International travel??????

Status
Not open for further replies.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
My daughter is trying to book out.... JetBlue to NYC and Delta onward to UK

The JB flight was good y'day
she held off buying until booking the Delta flight
By this AM, JB flight was sold out - and removed from their website

Tough times to fly !!!

Reactions: aarhus

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
If you're referring to my post, the person involved is quite senior with Ministry of Tourism and in charge of liaison with major tour operators and airlines for a particular region. I own a hotel, I do know a fair few people who work in positions of power, you have to if you want to run any type of business in Dom Rep.
So, just one point. When did the schedule say airports would open for tourism?

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Actually it’s June...don’t buy unless you happy with 24 month credit if canceled..
I have a credit with WestJet for my cancelled April flight and accommodations good till April 2022. Hoping to use it well before the expiry date. Also had connecting flight with Air Canada for April. They offered me a full credit for the future good for one year or a refund to my credit card of one third of the full amount. I took the full credit. I’ll convert all the credits into two trips down and back this fall. Contacting Air Canada was a problem. WestJet was easy. Did the cancellations through their website. 20 degrees here yesterday and had a great motorcycle ride. 2 degrees today and rain mixed with snow. This kind of weather drives me fricken crazy. I’d trade it for the DR heat in the blink of an eye.

Reactions: Russell

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
They don't send emails anymore but they issue regular updates via FB and Twitter.
facebook.com/UKinDomRep
Twitter @ukindomrep
I suppose I must be special, because I get regular emails from the British government with links to the site where they give information about repatriation flights and the current state of things for Brits here in the DR. It may be worthwhile for other Brits here in the DR to subscribe. Here is the page it links you to: https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-a...ign=govuk-notifications&utm_content=immediate

Reactions: JimmyGibbon

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
There are no dates as of yet:

The Minister of Economy, Planning and Development, Juan Ariel Jiménez Núñez, clarified this Monday that there is still no date for the reopening of the Dominican economy, as indicated last week. Interviewed in Enfoque Matinal, from CDN channel 37, said that since the day the social or physical distancing measures were taken, it was known that they would be temporary in order to strengthen the health system and avoid a greater number of contagions, but that later to return to a new modality and to focus on intelligent distancing. Responding to the question about the alleged plan to reopen the economy (which is equivalent to saying that businesses open and people go to work), he said that what has been circulating and that it was given as an official in the press (as a proposal official government), it was just an internal working document that has been handled, within the set of proposals being considered for the opening. "We have been analyzing different scenarios. And that that circulated was a document with proposals that are on the table. As of today, there is no day to open new businesses, ”said the minister, clarifying that the local economy has not been completely closed either, because there are sectors that operate, including agriculture, livestock, supermarkets, industries, mining (…). The document in question stated that -in principle on May 11-, it would begin by allowing vehicle workshops and dealers to open. But this is not the case, based on what was exterminated by Minister Juan Ariel. The new phase of opening other types of businesses has been under analysis, to make a decision once the return to business does not pose a danger to people, the official said. The second stage (of the plan that had been given as "good and valid", but which is not such) would be scheduled to start on June 1, and included the opening of beauty salons, barber shops, commerce and advertising. According to a publication of the newspaper Diario Libre (May 1, 2020), it had been said, additionally, that the business sectors had requested that this opening be brought forward one week, so that families could acquire the gifts for mothers day to be held on Sunday May 31, that is, before the proposed date for the opening of shops. According to the aforementioned newspaper, the third stage would be scheduled for June 22 and in that period the incremental reactivation of the economy would be contemplated. Also, it had been explained that during this phase the holding of the presidential and congressional elections, scheduled for July 5, was planned. The fourth stage would open travel agencies, hotels and restaurants, starting on August 10, and the fifth stage would include shopping malls, bars, discos and gyms, among others.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
As informed by a friend who works within the organization, here is a "tentative" plan of re-openings for some of the Bahia Principe properties.....

La Romana
-Bahia Principe Luxury Bouganville…..1 November
-Bahia Principe Grand La Romana.....1 June

Punta Cana
-Bahia Principe Luxury Esmeralda.....1 November
-Bahia Principe Grand Aquamarine.....1 November
-Bahia Principe Grand Punta Cana.....1 August
-Bahia Principe Grand Bavaro.....1 November
-Bahia Principe Luxury Ambar.....15 June
-Bahia Principe Fantasia Punta Cana.....15 June

Samaná
-Bahia Principe Grand El Portillo.....1 November
-Bahia Principe Luxury Samaná…..1 November
-Bahia Principe Grand Cayacoa…..1 November
-Bahia Principe Luxury Cayo Levantado…..1 November

*No, I do not work for the government.
*No, I do not work for Bahia Principe.
*This information is tentative depending on the position of the RD government moving forward, and is the best/earliest timetable provided for employees of Bahia Principe at this time.
*This has absolutely nothing to do with the lifting of the curfew, end of the State of Emergency, opening of other forms of businesses , opening of RD borders, and/or international travel (at this time). Speculate as you wish.

irsav

Jan 26, 2019
As informed by a friend who works within the organization, here is a "tentative" plan of re-openings for some of the Bahia Principe properties.....

La Romana
-Bahia Principe Luxury Bouganville…..1 November
-Bahia Principe Grand La Romana.....1 June

Punta Cana
-Bahia Principe Luxury Esmeralda.....1 November
-Bahia Principe Grand Aquamarine.....1 November
-Bahia Principe Grand Punta Cana.....1 August
-Bahia Principe Grand Bavaro.....1 November
-Bahia Principe Luxury Ambar.....15 June
-Bahia Principe Fantasia Punta Cana.....15 June

Samaná
-Bahia Principe Grand El Portillo.....1 November
-Bahia Principe Luxury Samaná…..1 November
-Bahia Principe Grand Cayacoa…..1 November
-Bahia Principe Luxury Cayo Levantado…..1 November

*No, I do not work for the government.
*No, I do not work for Bahia Principe.
*This information is tentative depending on the position of the RD government moving forward, and is the best/earliest timetable provided for employees of Bahia Principe at this time.
*This has absolutely nothing to do with the lifting of the curfew, end of the State of Emergency, opening of other forms of businesses , opening of RD borders, and/or international travel (at this time). Speculate as you wish.
Please keep us updated, dear Caonabo!

Jan 3, 2003
I own a hotel, I do know a fair few people who work in positions of power, you have to if you want to run any type of business in Dom Rep.

You own a hotel in the DR??

I'm sorry to hear that. Condolences on your loss.

What hope do you attach to any reopening of International travel when major airlines around the world are facing financial extinction along with the tourists?

And the few that have money to travel, do you believe they would go to any resort within the DR amidst a coronavirus pandemic?

Its not as if once reopenings occur that the pandemic takes its cue to go offstage. It will continue to claim thousands of lives daily.

Sep 22, 2009
You own a hotel in the DR??

I'm sorry to hear that. Condolences on your loss.

What hope do you attach to any reopening of International travel when major airlines around the world are facing financial extinction along with the tourists?

And the few that have money to travel, do you believe they would go to any resort within the DR amidst a coronavirus pandemic?

Its not as if once reopenings occur that the pandemic takes its cue to go offstage. It will continue to claim thousands of lives daily.
O/C, Tropi-Paul sent some pics of his place during the shutdown. Hoping for re-opening soon.
Screenshot_20200506-062333.png

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Another government source now says some reponing may start in the second half of May. ( Or maybe it won't start then and the Economic minister will state it is a false story and no plans are yet finalized and we will have to wait for another branch of the government to state what they think and then that will be said to be false and then...)

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I just got this email from Airbnb. They are laying off staff:

COVID-19 has fundamentally changed the travel industry, and today we shared the difficult news that we’re reducing the size of the Airbnb workforce. This week we’re focused on taking care of our employees, and we’d like to ask for your understanding and patience as we spend time supporting them. Here’s what you can expect from us this week:

• We’ll continue to respond on our social channels, in the Community Center, and through our community support team
  • We will reach out to partner with a small group of community leaders from around the world to gather feedback and common questions
  • Brian Chesky, our CEO, will hold a live Host Update on May 13 to answer top questions and address what matters to you most

Brian shared a note with the team today, which is a good summary of what’s happening. Click here to read it.

We remain committed to supporting you and your guests and to rebuilding our businesses together. We’ll be in touch again soon.

The Airbnb Team

Jan 9, 2004
With the near bankruptcies and actual bankruptcies of many travel/hospitality related companies (Airlines/Cruise ships/Auto rental/hotels), there is a fundamental shift and likely a new paradigm going forward.

Of course we would all like to think this will blow over soon and everything will return to normal in the DR and flights will resume as normal.........but the reality that sets in with each passing day is......until a vaccine is developed, or a successful course of treatment is finally discovered,, the world still has a real or perceived health care crisis (depending on your viewpoint), but for many countries it is morphing rapidly into a real financial crisis.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
The Canadian Government arranged a Repat flight for Canadians Friday 8th. May 1420 hrs... to Toronto $825.00 one way. Out of POP...West Jet Charter.
Sounds good , but if you cannot get a connector flight to say Halifax, and cannot spend overnight in Airport, and have to go to a hotel (must then isolate 14 days by law) ... not a good deal unless you live in or can drive from Toronto to home.
The airports concern me as they also do for CDN government. There is a Military memorial Service in Trenton for 6 Servicepersons who were killed during a Helicopter crash at sea.... the family members are being transported via Military Airplanes so as to reduce the ris of contamination at Commercial Airports and airplanes.
Almost a double standard...... Here in Luperon no tests ...no CV-19.???
So if CDN Gov. is hauling people out on the 8th...I would suggest there will be no real International travel until July. Maybe.

On the other hand always positive and hopeful.... no doom and gloom, we got enough of that here on Dr1.
Look for the silver lining people......

Status
Not open for further replies.