When will DR open for International travel??????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 3, 2003
Except for the 30000 In last 6 weeks..
Exactly and the reason deaths have been less than projections predicted because of the measures taken.

The complete collapse of the global demand economy was engineered to advert millions of deaths worldwide.

No one is comparing this to the seasonal flu anymore. The amount of coronavirus deaths so far in such a short period of time is not comparable to the flu with its number of yearly deaths.

Sep 22, 2009
Exactly and the reason deaths have been less than projections predicted because of the measures taken.

The complete collapse of the global demand economy was engineered to advert millions of deaths worldwide.

No one is comparing this to the seasonal flu anymore. The amount of coronavirus deaths so far in such a short period of time is not comparable to the flu with its number of yearly deaths.
Thanks China!

Reactions: Tonchi

David B

Aug 31, 2017
In the UK where we have had 30,000 deaths so far, only 261 people were aged under 60 with no underlying health conditions. 261 people out of a population of 70 million. It's really important to get this disease into perspective, for most people it is a very mild disease.

Three times in my little life annual flu deaths in the US have ranged from 60.000 to 120,000, as per the CDC's own website. I don't remember this incredible toll ever being covered by the media in such excruciating and alarming detail nor do I remember the reaction of government ever being so intense, i.e. shutting down the country and throwing the economy in stark--and perhaps irreparable--decline. Just saying.

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
The Canadian Government arranged a Repat flight for Canadians Friday 8th. May 1420 hrs... to Toronto $825.00 one way. Out of POP...West Jet Charter.
Sounds good , but if you cannot get a connector flight to say Halifax, and cannot spend overnight in Airport, and have to go to a hotel (must then isolate 14 days by law) ... not a good deal unless you live in or can drive from Toronto to home.
The airports concern me as they also do for CDN government. There is a Military memorial Service in Trenton for 6 Servicepersons who were killed during a Helicopter crash at sea.... the family members are being transported via Military Airplanes so as to reduce the ris of contamination at Commercial Airports and airplanes.
Almost a double standard...... Here in Luperon no tests ...no CV-19.???
So if CDN Gov. is hauling people out on the 8th...I would suggest there will be no real International travel until July. Maybe.

On the other hand always positive and hopeful.... no doom and gloom, we got enough of that here on Dr1.
Look for the silver lining people......

Safe travels to Canada

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Three times in my little life annual flu deaths in the US have ranged from 60.000 to 120,000, as per the CDC's own website. I don't remember this incredible toll ever being covered by the media in such excruciating and alarming detail nor do I remember the reaction of government ever being so intense, i.e. shutting down the country and throwing the economy in stark--and perhaps irreparable--decline. Just saying.

but Covid will take several times those numbers of US deaths Under Quarantine and is active all year long, not just a short flu season long.
without spcial distancing Covid would have taken much more lifes already, so the flu season and it's yearly deaths stay a harmless little thing in comparison.
or are the NY Hospitals every Flu Season under actual conditions as the norm??

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
With the near bankruptcies and actual bankruptcies of many travel/hospitality related companies (Airlines/Cruise ships/Auto rental/hotels), there is a fundamental shift and likely a new paradigm going forward.

Of course we would all like to think this will blow over soon and everything will return to normal in the DR and flights will resume as normal.........but the reality that sets in with each passing day is......until a vaccine is developed, or a successful course of treatment is finally discovered,, the world still has a real or perceived health care crisis (depending on your viewpoint), but for many countries it is morphing rapidly into a real financial crisis.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Reactions: MikeFisher

slowmo

Aug 1, 2016
FWIW, Copa airlines have posted that they "hope" to resume operations on June 1. Not sure how much of that is wishful thinking or how much is serious planning.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Finally - I can post my post -- I hope

The Future of Travel
How the industry will change after the pandemic.

By every measure, the coronavirus pandemic has decimated the travel industry.
The images of the world’s shutdown are eerie, the numbers are staggering. Approximately 100 million travel sector jobs, according to one global estimate, have been eliminated or will be. Passenger traffic on U.S. airlines is down 95 percent compared to last year, while international passenger revenues are expected to decrease by more than $300 billion. Domestic hotel occupancy rates fell off a cliff and now hover around 25 percent.
Regions and countries are beginning to open up, but the outbreak will undoubtedly change how we think, act and travel, at least in the short term.
“The pandemic is going to fade slowly, with aftereffects, a lot of which will be psychological,” said Frank Farley, a Temple University psychology professor and the former president of the American Psychological Association. “There’s so much uncertainty the average folk might want to know everything about travel,” he said. “What’s the escape hatch? What are the safety issues?”
Yet the desire to travel will not go away: In a recent survey by Skift Research, the research arm of the travel trade publication, one-third of Americans said they hope to travel within three months after restrictions are lifted.
To learn how the landscape might change, we talked to dozens of experts, from academics to tour operators to airport architects. Across the board, they highlighted issues of privacy and cleanliness and the push-pull of people wanting to see the world while also wanting to stay safe. Here, answers to 14 of the most pressing questions about travel’s future.

Reactions: aarhus

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
Another government source now says some reponing may start in the second half of May. ( Or maybe it won't start then and the Economic minister will state it is a false story and no plans are yet finalized and we will have to wait for another branch of the government to state what they think and then that will be said to be false and then...)

It may open in May or it may not open in May , they may let s know in May ...

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Good one.
4B199D48-43BD-4FB1-995A-304D9DFC05CB.jpeg

KyleMackey

Bronze
Apr 20, 2015
but Covid will take several times those numbers of US deaths Under Quarantine and is active all year long, not just a short flu season long.
without spcial distancing Covid would have taken much more lifes already, so the flu season and it's yearly deaths stay a harmless little thing in comparison.
or are the NY Hospitals every Flu Season under actual conditions as the norm??
It was in the USA in 2019 long before any shutdowns, and in DR (likely brought in by Euros/N. Americans) probably by Thanksgiving-Christmas.

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
So, just one point. When did the schedule say airports would open for tourism?
It didn't, but Punta Cana airport, which is by far the busiest on the island, will not reopen until the hotels reopen. And the loads at Santo Domingo would not be sufficient for anything other than a handful of routes (e.g. New York, Miami, maybe Atlanta, maybe Madrid, maybe Panama) if there are no tourists. Tourists, and those flying who work in tourism, form a very significant component of air passengers.

Sep 22, 2009
It didn't, but Punta Cana airport, which is by far the busiest on the island, will not reopen until the hotels reopen. And the loads at Santo Domingo would not be sufficient for anything other than a handful of routes (e.g. New York, Miami, maybe Atlanta, maybe Madrid, maybe Panama) if there are no tourists. Tourists, and those flying who work in tourism, form a very significant component of air passengers.
Is the DR an island?

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
You own a hotel in the DR??

I'm sorry to hear that. Condolences on your loss.

What hope do you attach to any reopening of International travel when major airlines around the world are facing financial extinction along with the tourists?

And the few that have money to travel, do you believe they would go to any resort within the DR amidst a coronavirus pandemic?

Its not as if once reopenings occur that the pandemic takes its cue to go offstage. It will continue to claim thousands of lives daily.

It's not just me that it will affect though. Anyone reading this who lives or has connections to the Dom Rep will be affected if there is no tourism as it is such a key component of the economy. So many industries in Santo Domingo exist to service and support tourism.

Most people in the trade are saying that it will be terrible until November, and then when the cold weather sets in in America and Canada the tourists will come back.

Sep 22, 2009
It's not just me that it will affect though. Anyone reading this who lives or has connections to the Dom Rep will be affected if there is no tourism as it is such a key component of the economy. So many industries in Santo Domingo exist to service and support tourism.

Most people in the trade are saying that it will be terrible until November, and then when the cold weather sets in in America and Canada the tourists will come back.
Unfortunately TP, the old school that command 95% of the wealth really don't care sir. They don't care about all the gringos helping the poor Dominicans or all the Canadians with a house and pool or all the Americans sucking down bracelet-backed unlimited tacos and bad liquor. There's so much money and life that doesn't give a shite about the great god of tourism and how it's saving the "island"

I'm editing to address the large population of Dominicans employed by the industry. Very sad situation, but they too will find other jobs outside of big T, believe it or not

Status
Not open for further replies.