When will DR open for International travel??????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
I think Punta Cana destroyed tourism in Purto Plata and hurt other areas like Boca Chica, Las Terrenas, Samana , and Bayahibe. Those areas have adapted but nothing like they were pre Punta Cana.

You are correct badpiece.
Quite possibly, we may see a long awaited revival of the "quieter" locations, as some vacationers may be more hesitant to participate within the Punta Cana cookie cutter model, and prefer something more quaint and charming for a relaxing, comforting escape, especially post Covid-19.

Reactions: aarhus and MarJD
Sep 22, 2009
You are correct badpiece.
Quite possibly, we may see a long awaited revival of the "quieter" locations, as some vacationers may be more hesitant to participate within the Punta Cana cookie cutter model, and prefer something more quaint and charming for a relaxing, comforting escape, especially post Covid-19.
Hmmm in that case, we're going to have to set up a lot of all-u-can-eat joints around the country

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
smaller , boutique type hotels

one of the major cruise lines just bought 5 smaller vessels with which to re-open

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
That dump hurt itself more than anything. That place is more if an embarrasment than anywhere dedicated to tourists in the DR and possibly the whole continent. Then there's the image which is partly based on truth. Boca Sida as many people call it.

Boca Chica still has some excellent dining locations, and brings in money from Santo Domingo, unlike that northern municipality with the same negative reputation. Albeit a very long ways to go in order to be considered an international travel destination. It was the foreign element that hurt it, not so much itself upon itself. Make it a top priced locale, and it will eliminate the bottom rung of international traveler. Price them out, and you will see the rewards.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Hmmm in that case, we're going to have to set up a lot of all-u-can-eat joints around the country

Oh no, no, no.
You want to attract the type of traveler that always was attracted to such a locale to begin with, and those new to the concept. The quaint and charming model, not the gigantic carbon copies, and most definitely not the seedy model. As persons will shortly be looking to escape the foreign hotspots of the Kung Flu, I hardly doubt many want to enter a 3000+ room metropolis with a kilometer long buffet spread. Adapt and adjust. Quaint and charming. Quaint and charming. Some have already recently invested in this visualization. ;)

Sep 22, 2009
Oh no, no, no.
You want to attract the type of traveler that always was attracted to such a locale to begin with, and those new to the concept. The quaint and charming model, not the gigantic carbon copies, and most definitely not the seedy model. As persons will shortly be looking to escape the foreign hotspots of the Kung Flu, I hardly doubt many want to enter a 3000+ room metropolis with a kilometer long buffet spread. Adapt and adjust. Quaint and charming. Quaint and charming. Some have already recently invested in this visualization. ;)
Hopefully it works out for them.

Reactions: Caonabo

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
As i mentioned before, United refunded my money within a week. I was truly shocked! I don't know if you're calling in the States, but I spoke to someone in Santo Domingo.
You’re very lucky. I called, they gave me case #s, said I’d get it between 7-21 days. Over two weeks later I received the first email, looks like 21 days is a fairytale
58D9D566-AE4C-401F-A7A4-7369441C4DED.jpeg

Reactions: Clandestino

alexw

Gold
Sep 6, 2008
NYC-SDQ BABY!
Cruises are dope. But you have to sail on those mega ships that feels like a floating resort. Go to the specialty restaurants, enjoy a balcony with the ocean views, and the natural rocking of the ship at night is amazing for adult activities 😀

pokerplayer

Mar 22, 2020
No mention of the pelicano? I love that place
Check these out in Boca Chica when things lighten up:

Luz de Luna (Run by a Spaniard, great paella). The chicken chimichurri was out of this world
Casa Greca (Excellent carne asada, good salad)
Momo Risto (Pasta was very good and prepared al dente. Excellent pizza)
Resto Bar Mercedes (Across the street from Casa Greca, my understanding is the owner is French. They do a good Prix Fixe three course meal in the evenings.)

Reactions: aarhus and alexw

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
All of you buying tickets to the DR have little hope of using them any time soon:

The Dominican Institute of Civil Aviation (IDAC) and the company Dominicanos Siglo XXI (Aerodom), still do not have a date to restart the operation of commercial flights and to reopen the country’s airports, closed since March to prevent the transmission of the coronavirus.

Alejandro Herrera, director of the IDAC, told Listín Diario that the agency had not yet received any notification on the matter.

However, he admitted that he received a communication from the International Air Transport Association (IATA), but that in general, no date is mentioned.

“We still have nothing precise regarding the restart of international flight operations in the country,” he said.

On his side, the director of corporate communication of Aerodom, Luis López, clarified that the company is waiting for the decision that President Danilo Medina makes in this regard.

“We have seen several reports in the media with alleged dates for restarting airport operations, but officially we do not know anything about it,” he said.

However, several North American airlines, with frequencies of regular flights from the United States to the Dominican Republic, have already published on their Internet portals dates for the restart of their flight operations to the country.

Among the airports that remain closed are the International of the Americas, José Francisco Peña Gómez; Gregorio Luperón, from Puerto Plata; María Montez, Barahona; Arroyo Barril, Sanana; Higüero Doctor Joaquín Balaguer, National District and Professor Juan Bosch, Catey, in Samaná.

Reactions: David B

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Interesting but does anyone really know what this gubmit will do?
No. But I love your take on the matter " Interesting" , is what people say when they look at an abstract painting in a museum and don't exactly know what the painter meant. Like, there's a story here, but damn if I know what it means. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.