When will DR open for International travel??????

Status
Not open for further replies.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Supposedly, now if you can get a flight
but
as in everything Dominican, it might depend on the person in authority at your entry
from what we read.

USA is no different....
the Immigration Officer in the kiosk interprets and applies the rules he/she sees fit

Reactions: aarhus
Sep 22, 2009
but
as in everything Dominican, it might depend on the person in authority at your entry
from what we read.

USA is no different....
the Immigration Officer in the kiosk interprets and applies the rules he/she sees fit
While this makes it sound easy, folks have been, supposedly, (to use W2's term) turned away upon arrival. Bottom line is don't chance it if you're not up for that horrific inconvenience. No one with a legal residency should be in a rush to get back here. Please relax and wait for the borders and airports to be declared 100% open and focus on something productive

Feb 7, 2007
the chamber of Deputados cut the 25 days down to 15 days, no surprise, as a Opposition always has to change something of the governing parties plans, lol.
so tomorrow/friday 11AM it will be back at the 1st Chamber with the Senators, who are with the reigning party, so they will of course approvet also this way, for 15 days, til June 1st.
somebody asked if then he/she can fly early June???
what has that to do with the extention of the State of Emergency??
at the moment the State of Emergency is finished, does NOT automatically mean that also the borders a back open etc etc.
and anyways, I would expect that all reopening of the different economy sectors will be done while under State of Emergency,
that way such reopenings are way easier to control, IF it is possible to have any such control over our DR crowd.
I would await small and medium bussiness sectors to reopen during the coming week already, it is time for that and anyways it will not be possible to keep the small business/street business crowds away from hitting the streets any longer.
to open the borders for Intl Leisure Travel early June??
no way, my friend, i hopeour DR Government is not That stupid.
I personally would not await such leisure travel to be back before our elections, i see that tocome way after the July 5gh/12th elections have passed.
it could become tha last big action of the leaving government, it could also become the big starting responsibility for the New Government then starting their job August 16th.

Federation of Mipymes had a Zoom meeting yeterday and declared they will do a press conference next Monday and start opening the stores on Tuesday even if they all will go to jail...* they cannot afford any more time to stay closed. Go figure. In a certain way I support them, because the government never had any real plan since March 18. It's been just the Mr. reader or bulletins reading the stats every morning, and Montalvo speaking every evening... but no real plan, no real actions as we have seen in other countries. At best DR government has been reactive in regards to COVID-19, but even saying that is a compliment.

As there never was a real plan, nobody in his right mind sees the need for smalls tores to stay closed, and theye xpressed it very well yeterday in their press release, which I have been saying all along (and many people whom I talked with also share the opinion), there is more agglomeration of people in supermarkets and banks than in small stores (I just look at local ferreterias-large ferreterias- never have the number of customers per square foot compared to the big supermarkets), big supermarkets sell clothes, shoes, electronics, hardware, car detailing stuff, furniture, everything... but small store can not open. It's unfair competition and only the big supermarkets have been benefiting hugely (many say their sales are over 200% up)... no wonder CONEP association grouping these corporate thieves does not want economy to open up.

"On Tuesday we are all going to open the doors of our commercial premises, and we are going to see if there are police here to take 200,000 prisoners, or 500,000 employees," said Iván García, president of the Federation, during a virtual meeting in in which more than 200 merchants participated.

García warned that if President Danilo Medina does not issue a decree authorizing MSMEs to operate, between now and Sunday, Monday at 8:00 in the morning, they will call a massive press conference, announcing the opening of their businesses the day following.

Feb 7, 2007
The Dominican Federation of Merchants decided to open the doors of all its affiliated businesses next Tuesday, in rejection of the prolongation of the state of emergency and of the economic paralysis ordered by the Dominican Government to stop the spread of COVID-19.

"On Tuesday we are all going to open the doors of our commercial premises, and we are going to see if there are police here to take 200,000 prisoners, or 500,000 employees," said Iván García, president of the Federation, during a virtual meeting in in which more than 200 merchants participated.

García warned that if President Danilo Medina does not issue a decree authorizing MSMEs to operate, between now and Sunday, Monday at 8:00 in the morning, they will call a massive press conference, announcing the opening of their businesses the day following.

Businessmen are sure that they will demonstrate that by opening their doors the coronavirus pandemic will contain itself, fulfilling the social distancing.

Garcia asked affiliates to put up black signs in front of their shops on Friday to signal the government. On Thursday night they will prepare a document requesting President Danilo Medina to open trade.

Merchants plan to take security measures to protect their employees and customers from contagion. Among them: social distancing, mandatory use of masks for employees and customers, 70% alcohol for visitors to wash their hands before entering, rapid tests of the COVID-19 on employees acquired by the merchants themselves, among others.

The leader of the merchants' union explained that if the country is going to have to live with COVID-19 for a long time, why sacrifice MSMEs.

He defended his interest in protecting the health and life of the population, but warned that he will not let them starve them.

He referred to an eventual popular revolt caused by the crisis and pointed out that if that happened, his locals would be looted by the masses.

During the virtual meeting, the inclusion of the Santiago Gastronomic Union, made up of more than 50 restaurants in that province, was also announced to the Dominican Federation of Merchants.

brickwasher

May 11, 2020
Juan Dolio
but
from what we read.

USA is no different....
I was able to get a flight back to SDQ on May 23. I was hoping someone here might know of a factual case of a legal resident allowed entry since my friends were not allowed in after flying there on March 17. I recognize It could have very well been the decision of one person in an office that interprets the boundary shut down different from others as well. Never hurts to ask though. Hate the idea of getting turned around after the travel

brickwasher

May 11, 2020
Juan Dolio
While this makes it sound easy, folks have been, supposedly, (to use W2's term) turned away upon arrival. Bottom line is don't chance it if you're not up for that horrific inconvenience. No one with a legal residency should be in a rush to get back here. Please relax and wait for the borders and airports to be declared 100% open and focus on something productive

brickwasher

May 11, 2020
Juan Dolio
Thanks. I had some folks of mine, 19 year permanent residents, turned away after arriving from Canada March 19. Have a flight back for SDQ I bought a few days ago. I am getting a lot done while I’m here in the states. Very productive. But would rather be stuck in my home in the DR. Have my family back there. Just hoping residents would be allowed back in. I don’t even mind a self quarantine 😊

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
The refusal was PUJ as I remember

You arrive SDQ
Might- might be a better decision there....
More Dominicans arriving there than PUJ

I hope that's not wishful thinking

brickwasher

May 11, 2020
Juan Dolio
Thanks. I had some folks of mine, 19 year permanent residents, turned away after arriving from Canada March
The refusal was PUJ as I remember

You arrive SDQ
Might- might be a better decision there....
More Dominicans arriving there than PUJ

I hope that's not wishful thinking
very true. Considering PUJ is a tourist airport more than anything. Checking with airlines to see if they had any more info in residents returning. Rolls your dice, takes your chances right?

drisforme

May 28, 2016
but
from what we read.

USA is no different....

Did not see any issue flying back to JFK from Santiago 2 days ago.Found interesting that they was no health control at the departure and arrival of the flight .Mask mandatory in the US as well at least at the airport which is quite empty ...Flight lasted 2:45 mn . Many people in the plane knowing that the middle seat is not occupied and a couple of rows also empty to protect the crew such as first row and exit rows.

Already looking forward to come back to DR. Did not have any option to go in the US now....so will take the first flight back to the paradise when I can !

Reactions: Clandestino

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I was able to get a flight back to SDQ on May 23. I was hoping someone here might know of a factual case of a legal resident allowed entry since my friends were not allowed in after flying there on March 17. I recognize It could have very well been the decision of one person in an office that interprets the boundary shut down different from others as well. Never hurts to ask though. Hate the idea of getting turned around after the travel
It seems the borders are not yet open. It appears the government is only letting citizens re-enter the DR. Legal residents should be able to re-enter as well, but it appears that is not the case for at least some legal residents. For one thing, unless you are on a repatriation flight, I doubt it will even fly. If you do make it here, you may be sent out of the country. We will see what happens on May 23. Please let us know.

As far as what I have seen, self quarantine is not an option. You would be quarantined in a location of the governments choice if they allow you in.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The defiant stand of the merchants demanding to reopen took longer than I expected. Tuesday might be a very interesting day in the DR.

Reactions: rubio_higuey

brickwasher

May 11, 2020
Juan Dolio
It seems the borders are not yet open. It appears the government is only letting citizens re-enter the DR. Legal residents should be able to re-enter as well, but it appears that is not the case for at least some legal residents. For one thing, unless you are on a repatriation flight, I doubt it will even fly. If you do make it here, you may be sent out of the country. We will see what happens on May 23. Please let us know.

As far as what I have seen, self quarantine is not an option. You would be quarantined in a location of the governments choice if they allow you in.
Talked to JetBlue this morning about flights into SDQ. They said they are flying in only a couple flights a week and the planes are 10-50% filled. They didn’t have any info on whether these were citizens or residents. Guess after the DR makes an announcement this weekend if that improves the guessing game. Will post new developments here

Reactions: windeguy

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Thanks. I had some folks of mine, 19 year permanent residents, turned away after arriving from Canada March 19. Have a flight back for SDQ I bought a few days ago. I am getting a lot done while I’m here in the states. Very productive. But would rather be stuck in my home in the DR. Have my family back there. Just hoping residents would be allowed back in. I don’t even mind a self quarantine 😊

Mr. Brick.....

In a sincere attempt to assist you, a few items do need some emphasis and clarification.

You state that your missionary friends from Canada were turned away on 19 March. This could very well be the case because it was at 6am on this date that the RD borders were first officially closed to foreigners.

From President Medina's speech of 17 March......
"We have also decided to close the country's borders by land, sea and air, for the next 15 days.
This measure and the next ones that I will announce will take effect at 6 in the morning on Thursday 19.
From that moment, only the entry of ferry planes will be allowed for the departure of foreign citizens who want to return to their countries and the arrival of planes, cargo ships and fuels to guarantee supplies to the population."

Less than 36 hours had passed from the President's statements, to your friends being turned away, attempting to enter at Punta Cana. I could hardly blame an immigration official for following a direct order from the President regarding foreigners, but being legal residents is indeed troubling. Especially legal residents for 19 years.

1. How many friends were within this group?

2. Did your friends have the proper documents in hand stating that they were indeed legal residents of RD?

3. Did your friends state where their intended direction upon arrival would be?

4. Were they attempting to enter the country as missionaries, tourists, vacationers, or residents?

5. Have they attempted to enter since?

In regards to your plight.....

You state that you are currently in Boston, awaiting your anticipated return of 23 May, which you recently purchased.
Your questions are directed in the form of a legal resident, but you only possess temporary residency. You are not yet a fulltime legal resident of RD. I do not know if this temporary status would grant you the same rights and protections afforded to legal residents and citizens, and I would say yes, you are indeed gambling highly with the stakes against you.

1. I was unaware that these ferry flights were running from Boston. I thought they were from/to Miami, JFK, and most recently Newark.

2. Do you have the proper documents in hand stating that you are indeed a temporary resident of RD?

3. Will you be able to state where your intended direction upon arrival will be?

4. Will you be attempting to enter the country as a missionary, tourist, vacationer, or temporary resident?

5. Why would you have purchased this travel ticket (just the other day) possessing all the knowledge you have of the last eight weeks, pertaining to the uncertainty surrounding the situation, inclusive of the incident involving your friends, who possess a higher, more certain legal status than you do?

I hope all works out for you, but I believe the deck is stacked against you. Good luck, sincerely.

drisforme

May 28, 2016
Talked to JetBlue this morning about flights into SDQ. They said they are flying in only a couple flights a week and the planes are 10-50% filled. They didn’t have any info on whether these were citizens or residents. Guess after the DR makes an announcement this weekend if that improves the guessing game. Will post new developments here
Talked with Jetblue at the gate in STI 2 days ago when I was taking my plane to JFK. Currently ,JEBLUE planes are coming empty from JFK to Santiago except crew members for flight back to NY.

Status
Not open for further replies.