When will DR open for International travel??????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mcinbrass

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
This travel advisory update yesterday, June 2, can still change by the time airports are supposed to open. Let's see if the same advisory will remain for July.
If you click on the link the date is Mar 31, so which is it?

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
That would severely restrict my plans WW. I plan to pick up a rental car, and avoid the resorts. I’m not there for the booze and the beaches. I’m there to spend time with my friends from Sosua to Luperon. Logistically it’s going to be hard to herd and contain Resort guests for one and two week periods. In Playa Dorada, you simply walk out the main gate, and hail public transportation. No self respecting taxis driver, desperate for tourist income, is going to refuse you. The one thing I would avoid are the guaguas. Ten people jammed into a small space is not my idea of distancing. Lol!
What if they won't let you walk out the main gate?

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Victim...jesus. I want to visit my family. I am trying to find a way to do it safely and without putting myself at risk of bankruptcy if I do get sick. I ask a few questions and people make fun of me. It is typical here by a select few. Whatever, I am getting my answers elsewhere.

The fact that you want to visit your family is commendable. Hopefully, thay want you to visit just as much as you desire.

You have been a "well-known" member of this community for a very long time. Your profile states 15 years. With that being the case, you should be aware that most web forum boards once past 24 hours of postings and responses, become nothing more than developing or concrete opinions....not so much "information". I do not believe it is information you seek, but rather once again, empathy. Hence, the victim statement. This is a pattern of yours that plays out frequently, across numerous thread lines within, which I have observed during my brief three seasons as a participating member of this web forum.

For true information, I believe you should rely #1...on what your family here in RD can share with you, and #2...what Ms. Dolores posts every single morning within the Daily Headline News. These sources are grounded in facts that can assist you, rather than opinions.

Empathy is one thing. Information another.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
What if they won't let you walk out the main gate?
Lots of ways to get out of Playa Dorada, main gate, upper gate, many beach exits through numerous resorts. The police can’t cover all the exits all the time.

Feb 7, 2007
Lots of ways to get out of Playa Dorada, main gate, upper gate, many beach exits through numerous resorts. The police can’t cover all the exits all the time.

You forgot walking on the beach or swimming in the ocean. Those are two valid exit methods as well.

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
The very clear answer for those from the USA is in the link

and I quote

If you decide to travel abroad or are already outside the United States:

So what they are saying is that you are on your own. You have been warned. It was a similar message that I got from the Danish foreign ministry and they said until September.

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
Yes. It is an advisory only that was increased one level with covid19. On the same page you can find similar advisories for just about any country. The language is basically "Do not travel there, stay home." (my response to that is "There is greater risk where I am now. Level 4 or higher now that there is uncontrollable rioting in the streets.").
These advisories sometimes look like they where written by a robot. You are an experienced DR traveller it sounds like. You should be good to go.

• Love
Reactions: Caonabo

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
You forgot walking on the beach or swimming in the ocean. Those are two valid exit methods as well.
I use the unguarded road in and out of El Pueblito and a US $10 bill opens many gates. POP Village guards were very good at turning a blind eye to my female companions. As long as I had them out of the resort before 6AM. 😂😂😎🌴

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
For the most part - Yes

The resort business must be desperate to get that income stream flowing again

Their business depends largely on international tour operators selling AI packages and having available flights,
Coupled with the willingness of international tourists to travel to the DR, under the current CV 19 and economic climate.
The in country tourist booking percentage, will not provide sufficient financial income to support operations.

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
There is nothing worse than blind copy/paste public information

It's even already in English to add insult to injury

[IMG alt="AlterEgo"]https://dr1.com/forums/data/avatars/s/40/40159.jpg?1586916834[/IMG]
AlterEgo
Administrator

Staff member

Yesterday at 11:08 AM
American embassy services will continue to be closed

The United States embassy in the country reported that its facilities will continue to be closed, with routine services suspended, due to the coronavirus pandemic.

He said that the suspension of services includes the Visa Assistance Center (Vac), which operates in the capital in Gallery 360. So far, the diplomatic legation has no reopening date for offering such services.

Consular services have been suspended since Monday, March 16, including routine appointments of immigrant and non-immigrant visas.

The embassy said routine visa services will be resumed as soon as possible, but cannot yet provide a specific date.

The machine readable visa (MRV) fee is valid and can be used for a visa application in the country in which it was acquired within one year from the date of payment.

If you have an urgent matter and need to travel immediately, follow the guidance provided at https://www.ustraveldocs.com/do/index.html?firstTime=No to request an emergency appointment.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
They
Yes. It is an advisory only that was increased one level with covid19. On the same page you can find similar advisories for just about any country. The language is basically "Do not travel there, stay home." (my response to that is "There is greater risk where I am now. Level 4 or higher now that there is uncontrollable rioting in the streets.").

They often issue a similar warning for RD........but crime related

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
That would severely restrict my plans WW. I plan to pick up a rental car, and avoid the resorts. I’m not there for the booze and the beaches. I’m there to spend time with my friends from Sosua to Luperon. Logistically it’s going to be hard to herd and contain Resort guests for one and two week periods. In Playa Dorada, you simply walk out the main gate, and hail public transportation. No self respecting taxis driver, desperate for tourist income, is going to refuse you. The one thing I would avoid are the guaguas. Ten people jammed into a small space is not my idea of distancing. Lol!

I have a friend here in Cabrera...
House - car... visiting for 25 yrs or so
No residency.... even after my constant encouragement

No he's very worried about when he can return... like you
I cannot see tourists wandering the country at will in the first waves

I don't know why folks would acquire assets here without at least residency. This was an issue for many condo owners up there in the Farallones/Catalina.

As you well know,,, big thread on this and some obstinate people
This may tip the scales for them

It would for me

Start the application and you walk straight in to complete it....
that's my guess

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
I have a friend here in Cabrera...
House - car... visiting for 25 yrs or so
No residency.... even after my constant encouragement

No he's very worried about when he can return... like you
I cannot see tourists wandering the country at will in the first waves

As you well know,,, big thread on this and some obstinate people
This may tip the scales for them

It would for me

Start the application and you walk straight in to complete it....
that's my guess
I am telling the ones I know. Start the process now while you are back home waiting anyway. Contact DR embassy or consulate.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
So it does not depend really on what the DR wants to do. Can Americans travel under a Global Level 4 Health Advisory ?
Of course it depends upon what the DR decides as for flights coming in. At the moment the airports can open July 1. What other countries and business do is up to them.

As for the USA, citizens can fly when they want to where they want to dependent upon the destination country and available flights (notwithstanding a few forbidden places) .

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
They
They could easily post extra guards at those points. Could a few still manage to escape? Probably, but too few to mention.

Most people that go to AI's couldn't care less about leaving the resort.

Reactions: Africaida

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I don't know why folks would acquire assets here without at least residency. This was an issue for many condo owners up there in the Farallones/Catalina.
Oh I know some of them.. Really dumb not to be legal in some cases. When I mention this to the, they don't want to hear about it. Fine. Stupid is as stupid does. That said , one does not have to be a legal resident to have assets here. You can own property without any requirement to be a resident. That is up to each individuals ability to take risks. I am referring to the ones that actually live here, own valuable property, and are technically full time illegal aliens and stand to lose the most. For now, it is still pay the exit fee upon departure and welcome upon returning. Some seem to think CV-19 will expedite a change in that. Time will tell.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I did not spend an hour or more listening to what the hotel owners want. Were decisions made by the government regarding any restrictions made upon tourists entering the country when the airports open? Such as quarantines, staying on the grounds of resorts, etc?

Status
Not open for further replies.