Codetel DSL problems

james

Jan 14, 2002
e-mail is also suffering. I have had to "Send" sometimes 5 or 6 times before it was actually accepted by Codetels' server and finally sent. This could take anywhere from 4 to 15 minutes. Today has been worse than some of the other 'Bad days" recently.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
I use similar settings to Squat, yet I see this problem. If Squat's usage is less frequent, he will notice the issue less.

MrMike (also in Santiago) has been seeing the same problems that I have.
I spend my life online ! I only step out of my computer chair to go swimming in the ocean, or sleeping ;)

More seriously, I suspect it might be localized to Santiago/PP/Sosua/Cab' areas... In our part of the wood (Las Terrenas area), it's just business as usual.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I'd like to take this moment to thank Adrian for bringing this out into the open, Robert for the efforts he will make in getting it resolved, and all others who have contributed in helping to isolate the problem.
My life can be miserable at times, when the "net's" acting up.
I'd be jumping for joy, if it can be resolved.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I'm going to go play with an Aster cable connection tonight, I'll post here what the results are. I'll run some trace routes, pings, speed tests etc.

Tomorrow someone in the office here will be all over Codetel trying to get them to respond, let's see how far we get.

Post your questions to Codetel in this thread.

1) Why are so many people experiencing problems with their DSL service?
Our message board has seen a very large increase in complaints over the past month.

2) Most complaints revolve around DNS issues and resolving websites.
What is the exact problem and what is the time line to fix it?

Most users have seen a downgrade in service, speed etc since the take over of Verizon.
What factors are causing this and has Codetel seen an increase in complaints?

3) What is the procedure for clients to claim a credit due to Codetel's failure to provide DSL service?

4) What is coming in the future, infrastructure and upgrade wise to the DSL service?

Last edited:

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
6) When I experience problems accessing US based websites (eg DR1, Youtube), why do things instantly work perfectly when I change my browser to access the web via a florida based proxy server?

7) How many redudant backbone internet connections does Codetel have connecting the island?

8) How much capacity does each connection have?

9) What happens when one of the backbone connections is not working?

10) Are there plans to upgrade Codetel's backbone connectivity, both in capacity and routes?

11) How has Codetel changed since it was taken over by Carlos Slim?

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
The truth of the mater is, that since this thread started, it has just kept on getting worse... and notably so.
I don't know if that is to indicate us that they are working on something or that it is simply slipping outta their hands.

... J-D.

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007
i've experienced similar problems with my service in the last month with no change. I've had to call everyday for 2 weeks to get basic attention, with their operators just shuffling me along and not really responding to my complaints. they've also said they "would send someone over" and never do...this service sucks. im go back to smoke signals and talking through a can....

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
12) when are you going to change the termination procedures.

13) when are you going to hire employees that can solve a problem as opposed to saying "it does not work and there is nothing we can do"...I've heard this one for more than year now.

now I know why global...is on vacation

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
Yesterday was a pretty damn horrible day for internet connectivity in Santiago.

Oddly, the rain seems to have a big effect. Codetel internet does not seem to work very well when it is raining. Maybe it gets depressed. :)

DunHill

Aug 29, 2003
www.dunhill.ws
Intensive use of "teepie" does not make the cabeling more thrustfull.
Digital signal doen't like water, so a cable fixed with multiple "teepies" is like a hose full with holes.

When it rains the signal follows , through the water, the shortest way from 1 wire to another, and creating a nice resistance/shortcut.
And the way they normally put their "teepie" around a wire is NOT waterproof, just to cover the view of the fixed/open cable

Don't try to explain this to your local technician, he will not believe you that cables carrieng digital signals cannot be fixed by using "teepies".

Before him his father - grandfather - friends - neighbours, they all fixed their cables using a "teepie", so there is (in his opinion) nothing wrong with that.

A.

DunHill

Aug 29, 2003
www.dunhill.ws
e-mail is also suffering. I have had to "Send" sometimes 5 or 6 times before it was actually accepted by Codetels' server and finally sent. This could take anywhere from 4 to 15 minutes. Today has been worse than some of the other 'Bad days" recently.

The codetel mailserver is also the codetel DNS server and during this thread we almost all know that that service is crappy and unreliable
Codetel mail(dns)servers are infected by virusses and commonly blacklisted as "spam source"
The whole IP space of codetel is (as a lot of S-American IP space) normally blacklisted or on the edge of that.

The best advice is use external emailservices

A.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
Yesterday was a pretty damn horrible day for internet connectivity in Santiago.
That's the proof that it's a localized problem, around Santiago and the Puerto Plata province...
Yesterday was as fast as usual in Las Terrenas...
(disclaimer: I don't write such posts to peess other readers off... I think it might help to pinpoint the problem.)

DunHill

Aug 29, 2003
www.dunhill.ws
Old Juan Dolio as well, 20% packetloss after it started to rain a little bit softly at 07:00
A reset st 08:00 and we were clear again, now with the sun gone and more and more clouds are coming in we have losses between 5 and 35% (SNR dropped from 8.0 to 0.5)

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
That's the proof that it's a localized problem, around Santiago and the Puerto Plata province...
Yesterday was as fast as usual in Las Terrenas...
(disclaimer: I don't write such posts to peess other readers off... I think it might help to pinpoint the problem.)

Interesting. You couldn't have not noticed it yesterday; our connectivity in Santiago was absolutely terrible. Did people on the north coast also have lots of problems yesterday afternoon/evening?

Adrian

leehall

Oct 24, 2006
Connectivity in the Sosua are was horrible. Strangely, did not seem to effect my blackberry connection. Much better this morning.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Yesterday and a few days before that my DSL Flash was either completely off or only certain websites worked. At one time, I could use Pokerstars.com but nothing else. Guess they wanted me to gamble. I played a low stakes tournament in case of a crash and won the damn thing! At least it paid for Flash for the month.