The future of Sosua

Status
Not open for further replies.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Having covid run out of control is ridiculous as well. I am in a bubble with over 2 million others that has less than 10 active covid cases, so will quite happily quarantine for 14 days if I ever manage to escape and then return.
Unless your whole country has the discipline of Taiwan, you are fooling yourselves .. with no Vaccine on the Horizon , everyone will be exposed to this Virus , its a mathematical certainty....so they can drag this out for years if this mindset continues .
and IMHO, the world is only a "ISHIT show because we are allowing them to do it to us . Like the Comedian Andrew Dice Clay used to say " Look what I did to you,,, AGAIN ".... just like that.

Travel, enjoy your life .. how many years do some of you think you have left ? ... dont let them make you live like a prisoner .
its a scam .
Sosua needs to get back to being Sosua , PRONTO . for the mental Health of many many people , not just the Health of its own Economy.

Reactions: wayne

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
AECCD438-8FA9-4444-88F7-5E64537F7754.jpeg

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009

Actually as of the other day ,, in some places ( to not go off topic) , you do not even have THAT right any more.
You MUST Wear a mask even in PUBLIC in the Open....

So thank you for proving what a slippery slope this is ..

and I agree with the sign you posted ...but its no longer reality ..
and getting worse
meanwhile the #s are getting BETTER .. just that many more people are being tested ,, so the total #s are getting higher ,
the percentages are dropping however . to the point where its no longer even a Pandemic..
they are lying to you.

Reactions: wayne

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
Unless your whole country has the discipline of Taiwan, you are fooling yourselves .. with no Vaccine on the Horizon , everyone will be exposed to this Virus , its a mathematical certainty....so they can drag this out for years if this mindset continues .

First thing I did when I heard about Covid was grab my calculator and calculate deaths for the "let it run" scenario. I suggest you do the same. 60% herd immunity * 0.5% death rate * 355 million people in the US. It's sobering.

Even if we take that route, humans lose their immunity to corona viruses in about 6 months, so it's not a one and done situation even if we pay the price.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I support self isolation upon returning to Canada. Get a test at the airport and go home. If the test comes back positive Public Health will tell you what to do. As of now, it's a quarantine with real teeth not a suggestion. Fines, jail time and the police stopping by to make sure you are where you are supposed to be. People who aren't sick need to be able to move about to get food and other things they need especially after returning from being away. No employer is going to authorize an extra two weeks off work because an employee wants to take a trip.

Reactions: ramesses

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
I support self isolation upon returning to Canada. Get a test at the airport and go home. If the test comes back positive Public Health will tell you what to do. As of now, it's a quarantine with real teeth not a suggestion. Fines, jail time and the police stopping by to make sure you are where you are supposed to be. People who aren't sick need to be able to move about to get food and other things they need especially after returning from being away. No employer is going to authorize an extra two weeks off work because an employee wants to take a trip.

Smart! If only the USA had done that from the new year onward, this would be under control with limited economic damage.

I'm already here, but I have two more reservations to get here as I was hoping that one wouldn't get canceled. American said the flight was full so I can change my reservation. I guess I'll kick it out as far as I can perhaps I'll need to make a short trip back to the states.

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
Actually as of the other day ,, in some places ( to not go off topic) , you do not even have THAT right any more.
You MUST Wear a mask even in PUBLIC in the Open....

So thank you for proving what a slippery slope this is ..

and I agree with the sign you posted ...but its no longer reality ..
and getting worse
meanwhile the #s are getting BETTER .. just that many more people are being tested ,, so the total #s are getting higher ,
the percentages are dropping however . to the point where its no longer even a Pandemic..
they are lying to you.

The future of Sosua does depend on sustainable tourism.

Listin Diario Logo
10 de julio 2020, actualizado a las 02:04 p.m.

Colegio Médico pide a Danilo Medina tomar medidas urgentes para evitar el colapso sanitario
Dice que la economía no puede estar por encima de la vida de ningún dominicano

Coronavirus alcanza 41,915 personas en RD; 1,125 en un día
Las muestras procesadas es de 182,267 en total, para este boletín 3,425 tomadas este jueves.

• Ministerio de Salud Pública durante intervención en Los Guaricanos, en Santo Domingo Norte/

Santo Domingo, RD

41,915 personas han dado positivo al Covid-19 en República Dominicana, 1,125 fueron diagnosticados en las últimas horas, de acuerdo con el boletín 113.
Las muestras procesadas es de 182,267 en total, para este boletín 3,425 tomadas este jueves.
El ministro de Salud Pública, Rafael Sánchez Cárdenas, indicó que los muertos son 864, con veinte en un día, cifra récord en los últimos 113 días.

República Dominicana registra cifra récord de muertes por coronavirus con 22 en un día
Las defunciones se elevaron a 864
República Dominicana registra cifra récord de muertes por coronavirus con 22 en un día

Este viernes se reportaron 22 muertes más por coronavirus para un acumulado de 864, con un record de defunciones superior a las registradas en los 113 boletines especiales que ofrece el ministerio de Salud Pública sobre la pandemia.
En el boletín #113 dado por el ministro de Salud Pública, Rafael Sánchez Cárdenas, indica que la ocupación hospitalaria es de 1,135, equivalente a 74% de las
camas monitoreadas en el sistema.

Suben a 1,135 personas hospitalizadas por covid-19, "cosecha de actividades electorales"
Sigue la saturación de los hospitales

Santo Domingo RD

El despliegue masivo de personas está causando efecto a nivel sanitario, por lo que ha aumentado a 1,135 el número de personas hospitalizadas por coronavirus, para un 74% de las camas monitoreadas en el sistema en ocupación. En Unidades de Cuidados Intensivos hay 226 pacientes y de estos 117 están con ventilación asistida.
En Santo Domingo hay 400 pacientes hospitalizados, de los que 104 están en UCI y 68 con ventilación.
El ministro de Salud Pública al ofrecer el boletín #113 dijo que hay que retornar a las acciones y reforzar el proceso de distanciamiento físico.

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
We have a small commercial rental that we forgave the rent on for 3 months. The renter, business owner called yesterday saying that she has this months rent. She had to find us since we use an agent that is MIA and was worried. GOOD tenets are hard to find... she's a keeper.

tedreinger

Apr 5, 2020
Of course. Looking at a menu on my home computer would be exactly what I would do, given that it would be my only option in this case.

My wife and I laughed out loud at the chicas/meals/ Western Union joke.
Just that my experience with establishments keeping their online info updated and accurate has been less than stellar a lot of the time and it's often not easy or straight forward finding the info you are looking for. Website design and functionality in the DR leaves a lot to be desired.

Reactions: windeguy

David B

Aug 31, 2017
Speaking of Sosúa, can anyone tell me what the Plaza Europa is like and if they would recommend it? Thinking of staying there a couple of weeks in August.

Northern Coast Diver

Private Scuba Guide
Feb 23, 2020
Sosua
I passed Kings/Rumba yesterday afternoon and was surprised to see about 40 clients sitting and enjoying drinks or food. I also passed the Chinese restaurant on Camino Llibre between highway 5 and Pedro Clisante. The Chinese Restaurant is gone, space is empty, and a for rent sign on the door.

Reactions: CristoRey

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Smoked. Thick slices. Delicious.
Oh, that sounds like Checo brand bacon (I think). Aren't they the ones who make the thick slices? I think it's Checo anyway. When you buy a pound it's only like 4-5 slices. Great stuff.. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Reactions: irsav and CristoRey

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Current resident here.The place is picking itself up slowly as businesses start opening and there are a few more folks on the street during the day.(i'm not a night owl so leave that report to others.) The place is beautifully clean at present so let's hope it can stay the way and whilst the murals are an interesting distraction it's difficult to imagine them in a few months or so when the glamour wears off.
So far we are fairly tourist free but I guess that will soon change once the airport gets going properly and the hotels kick in.
As for many folk's favourite subject,our friendly ladies,I have little to comment but I don't see much to shock a parish priest so far.

Just can't figure out why so many posters who have obviously no knowledge of the town insist on posting inane rubbish about the place?
I could go over to a Jarabacoa thread and start posting about how utterly boring and wannabe alpen I found it on my few visits but I don't feel the need.
The inane rubbish posters claim deep offense at the legal sexuality aspect of the town yet cannot control their deep attraction.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
The inane rubbish posters claim deep offense at the legal sexuality aspect of the town yet cannot control their deep attraction.

I don't recall hearing people on DR1 claim being offended. Maybe some do.

But most Dominicans would prefer better employment opportunities for their kids rather then being a puta or motoconch. Most business people would like to see a transformation to something else other then spandex on PC. And most Doms are embarrassed by the whole thing. And their voice counts most.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
I don't recall hearing people on DR1 claim being offended. Maybe some do.

But most Dominicans would prefer better employment opportunities for their kids rather then being a puta or motoconch. Most business people would like to see a transformation to something else other then spandex on PC. And most Doms are embarrassed by the whole thing. And their voice counts most.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Are you really appointing yourself to speak for most business people and most Dominicans?
Do you hear people on DR1 and then decide who's voice counts?
Most people have to read it.
Could be time to stop listening to the voices and just type for yourself.
No one knows all you claim. I know are not in the least embarrassed by any expression of sexuality.
The Dominicans I know are not in the least embarrassed by expressions of sexuality. It a normal legal thing here they have seen all their life.
The embarrassment, consternation and shock is more of a prudish US and European response to something that they have never seen before.

• Haha
Reactions: Mr Deal HD and Big
Status
Not open for further replies.