US goverment warns against travel to DR

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaribeDigital

Sep 5, 2014
Periodico HOY writes today about the warning the US government has issued against travel to the Dominican Republic. They are more concerned about the fat hotel owners then about the health of the population. The ruling party did not order any hotel chain to build/amplify intensive care units in hospitals.

On the other hand, poor guys those tourists! The number of people who can afford a caribbean vacation has been slashed from 2020 onwards. And the lucky few... don't have it easy. They should not go to DR and may not go to Cuba. Europe has also erected a type of wall or something.
Alternatives?

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
What do you mean with alternatives ? This is a Dominican Republic internet forum. We are interested in news about tourists traveling to the DR and in this case your referenced article is about visitors from the United States.

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
Periodico HOY writes today about the warning the US government has issued against travel to the Dominican Republic. They are more concerned about the fat hotel owners then about the health of the population. The ruling party did not order any hotel chain to build/amplify intensive care units in hospitals.

On the other hand, poor guys those tourists! The number of people who can afford a caribbean vacation has been slashed from 2020 onwards. And the lucky few... don't have it easy. They should not go to DR and may not go to Cuba. Europe has also erected a type of wall or something.
Alternatives?
Oh so helpful the US government as usual.
Tener un plan para salir de la República Dominicana que no dependa de la ayuda del gobierno de los Estados Unidos.
It's quite rich for the US to single out the DR when they are the CV19 epicenter of the world. A clear case of the pot calling the kettle black.
covid.png

Oct 11, 2010
Oh so helpful the US government as usual.

It's quite rich for the US to single out the DR when they are the CV19 epicenter of the world. A clear case of the pot calling the kettle black.
It's quite rich that the DR allows flights to arrive here from the world's most infected country, so much so that the number of daily flights and passengers currently arriving here In the Dominican Republic from the United States is greater than ALL OTHER COUNTRIES COMBINED.

And just so you are clear.

The US has NOT singled out the DR as a travel destination, the warning is for ALL INTERNATIONAL TRAVEL.

The Level 4 Global Health Advisory: DO NOT TRAVEL.

AVOID ALL INTERNATIONAL TRAVEL

. . . PERIOD . . .

https://travel.state.gov/content/tr...ert-global-level-4-health-advisory-issue.html

Reactions: Andre14615

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
In Spanish, the US Embassy website states that there is a category 4 advisory against traveling to the DR, but when you switch to English, the message is different.
20200712_105953.jpg

Reactions: cavok
Oct 11, 2010
The Spanish message you posted from the US embassy website is clear, concise and accurate as of the current date. So is the link I posted. Couldn't be any clearer. Great advice.

Do you normally wear glasses?

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
It will be interesting to see if the burst of cases after the election occurs as predicted. Should be starting about now. That will determine a lot.

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
It's quite rich that the DR allows flights to arrive here from the world's most infected country, so much so that the number of daily flights and passengers currently arriving here In the Dominican Republic from the United States is greater than ALL OTHER COUNTRIES COMBINED.

And just so you are clear.

The US has NOT singled out the DR as a travel destination, the warning is for ALL INTERNATIONAL TRAVEL.

The Level 4 Global Health Advisory: DO NOT TRAVEL.

AVOID ALL INTERNATIONAL TRAVEL

. . . PERIOD . . .

https://travel.state.gov/content/tr...ert-global-level-4-health-advisory-issue.html
Well since you insist I'll update my comment. The US is quite rich in issuing a, "Level 4 Global Health Advisory: DO NOT TRAVEL." when they are the MAJOR GLOBAL HEALTH PROBLEM EPICENTER. What they should do is issue a health advisory labeling themselves a no go health zone hazard. Is this better?

Reactions: Mr Deal HD

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
There is a global pandemic. So the US is saying to its citizens. We can help you in the US but not abroad.

Reactions: ramesses

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
I don't know why DR newspaper(s) are reporting this now. The same level 4 advisory has been in effect since March 31, 2020. For all international travel. The advisory is for U.S. citizens. The embassy page says updated 10 July. But the advisory is not new.

covid-19-information
I guess the update the 10 of July means they are still saying it despite the DR opening for visitors.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
It will be interesting to see if the burst of cases after the election occurs as predicted. Should be starting about now. That will determine a lot.

your crystal ball is working well

Bulletin #115

Total confirmed cases 44532 Increase 1418 New record
Total deaths 897 Increase 17
Total recovered 21459 Increase 463
Total active 22176 Increase 938
Total tests 189391 Increase 3538 Day positivity 40.1%

Spread of new cases

DN 323
Azua 25
Baoruco 2
Dajabon 4
Duarte 27
Elias Pina 13
El Seibo 1
Espaillat 7
La Altagracia 47
La Romana 37
La Vega 21
Maria TS 22
Monte Cristi 2
Pedenales 5
Peravia 6
Puerto Plata 30
Hermanas M 9
San Cristobal 32
San Juan 82
SPM 26
Sanchez Ramirez 20
Santiago 182
Valverde 2
Monsenor N 8
Monte Plata 1
Santo Domingo 266
Not Specified 218

Brutal numbers now and we have not seen the worst yet. the spread will keep increasing even though We know they have less tests at the beginning of every week so headline numbers will drop in next couple of days.

Local lockdowns wont solve this national problem

Reactions: franco1111

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
I am traveling back and forth at the moment and have some decisions to make. The situations are very local. I will not be in Florida or Phoenix. But here in DR, there are places the same. When I go out I see people close together. No masks. But, other places distance and masks. It depends on where you are.

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
I guess the update the 10 of July means they are still saying it despite the DR opening for visitors.

Exactly. That level 4 advisory has not been updated. It was in place as of 31 March. If you read more in that link to embassy info page for DR, you will see they acknowledge DR has opened to international travel. So, that part has been updated.

Oct 11, 2010
Well since you insist I'll update my comment. The US is quite rich in issuing a, "Level 4 Global Health Advisory: DO NOT TRAVEL." when they are the MAJOR GLOBAL HEALTH PROBLEM EPICENTER. What they should do is issue a health advisory labeling themselves a no go health zone hazard.

Is this better?

No, it is just as foolish as your original comment.

"Label themselves a no go health zone hazard"???

Really???

Any foreigner, wishing to travel to the United States, with even minimal intelligence should be able to make that determination on their own. The U.S. State Department can't be responsible for the safety of non-US citizens who wish to enter the United States during this current travel advisory. Sorry.

And now back to the Dominican Republic.

In your original post you sarcastically write this:
"Oh so helpful the US government as usual."

Well apparently the Dominican government can't seem to help themselves.

Think about it. If US citizens (the most infected worldwide) follow their own government's warning of not traveling internationally (to the Dominican Republic) they will not be contributing to infecting local Dominicans and increasing the infection rate down here. If they remain in their 'MAJOR GLOBAL HEALTH PROBLEM EPICENTER", as you so simplistically phrase it, they will not put those of us who are living down here in Shangri-La at increased risk. Could be quite helpful.

Unlike the Dominican Republic, the United States as of today, is keeping their borders CLOSED to ALL FOREIGN NATIONALS who have been in any of the following countries during the past 14 days: China, Iran, Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Monaco, San Marino, Vatican City, United Kingdom, Ireland, Brazil.

Whether the U.S. is doing a good job of controlling the spread of the virus or not, by keeping the borders CLOSED to most foreigners from highly infected countries, they are at least eliminating a huge disease vector.

Meanwhile, down here in Shangri-La it is like the old TV game show "The Price is Right":

COME ON DOWN!!!

Continued incompetence and foolishness, a shame.

Reactions: Andre14615

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
No, it is just as foolish as your original comment.

"Label themselves a no go health zone hazard"???

Really???

Any foreigner, wishing to travel to the United States, with even minimal intelligence should be able to make that determination on their own. The U.S. State Department can't be responsible for the safety of non-US citizens who wish to enter the United States during this current travel advisory. Sorry.

And now back to the Dominican Republic.

In your original post you sarcastically write this:

Well apparently the Dominican government can't seem to help themselves.

Think about it. If US citizens (the most infected worldwide) follow their own government's warning of not traveling internationally (to the Dominican Republic) they will not be contributing to infecting local Dominicans and increasing the infection rate down here. If they remain in their 'MAJOR GLOBAL HEALTH PROBLEM EPICENTER", as you so simplistically phrase it, they will not put those of us who are living down here in Shangri-La at increased risk. Could be quite helpful.

Unlike the Dominican Republic, the United States as of today, is keeping their borders CLOSED to ALL FOREIGN NATIONALS who have been in any of the following countries during the past 14 days: China, Iran, Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Monaco, San Marino, Vatican City, United Kingdom, Ireland, Brazil.

Whether the U.S. is doing a good job of controlling the spread of the virus or not, by keeping the borders CLOSED to most foreigners from highly infected countries, they are at least eliminating a huge disease vector.

Meanwhile, down here in Shangri-La it is like the old TV game show "The Price is Right":

COME ON DOWN!!!

Continued incompetence and foolishness, a shame.
I suspect there will soon be a new list and the DR could be on it. If that happens then goes my idea of flying via the US and London back to Denmark.

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
I see. The US is helping quite a bit by issuing do not travel advisories while simultaneously being the global leaders in infections and number of death. On the bright side they are #1.

On a serious note, why be in such a panic? By all accounts a vaccine will not be available for mass distribution within the next two years or so. At one point or another, and with very few exceptions, most of us will get infected. Why antagonize our souls with something that we have little control over? Of course we can choose to isolate ourselves until the end of time but I don't think being recluse indefinitely is a practical solution. Even if we were to subject ourself to such torcher, we could still get infected by any member of our household that interacts with the outside world. It's catch 22.

What we should be do is take a page out of Sweden's play book. They didn't close their country down like others did and they are really close to zero death per day now. Yes they had an initial high mortality rate but It appears they have achieved herd immunity or are close to it. Ironically, the experts that have been wrong about everything CV19 say that this shouldn't be taken as a success. I suppose more fear mongering by the lame stream media will be forthcoming.

Reactions: 1greasy

scot_tosh

May 21, 2010
I see. The US is helping quite a bit by issuing do not travel advisories while simultaneously being the global leaders in infections and number of death. On the bright side they are #1.

On a serious note, why be in such a panic? By all accounts a vaccine will not be available for mass distribution within the next two years or so. At one point or another, and with very few exceptions, most of us will get infected. Why antagonize our souls with something that we have little control over? Of course we can choose to isolate ourselves until the end of time but I don't think being recluse indefinitely is a practical solution. Even if we were to subject ourself to such torcher, we could still get infected by any member of our household that interacts with the outside world. It's catch 22.

What we should be do is take a page out of Sweden's play book. They didn't close their country down like others did and they are really close to zero death per day now. Yes they had an initial high mortality rate but It appears they have achieved herd immunity or are close to it. Ironically, the experts that have been wrong about everything CV19 say that this shouldn't be taken as a success. I suppose more fear mongering by the lame stream media will be forthcoming.

I read that article and did not come to the same conclusion as you, it concludes:
"In some ways, the decisions they made were based on how they assessed the evidence at the time. And other countries decided to be more aggressive and sadly the more aggressive approach turned out to be the more appropriate one."
I read that article and did not come to the same conclusion as you, it concludes:

Status
Not open for further replies.