Which is the best Spanish accent?

Which country has the best Spanish accent? (Poll choices divided by region)

• Caribbean Antilles-Cuba, Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico. 🇨🇺🇩🇴🇵🇷

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Mexico 🇲🇽

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Central America (not incl Panamá) Guatemala 🇬🇹,Honduras 🇭🇳,Nicaragua 🇳🇮El Salvador🇸🇻,Costa Rica 🇨🇷

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Caribbean basin/ Northern Andes- Panamá, Colombia, Venezuela 🇵🇦 🇨🇴🇻🇪

Votes: 9 42.9%
  • Andes- Ecuador, Peru, Bolivia 🇪🇨🇵🇪🇧🇴

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Southern and Southern Cone- Chile, Argentina, Uruguay, Paraguay 🇨🇱🇦🇷🇺🇾🇵🇾

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Spain 🇪🇸

Votes: 5 23.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
I just stumbled across this article which poses and responds to the common question that many learners have- which is the best Spanish accent?

No doubt there is possibility for a wealth of responses but most important to me is the reason behind one’s choice with good examples of the spoken language or experiences with speakers from different Spanish-speaking countries.

The third to last paragraph of the article summarizes my way of thinking. If you are learning just learn Spanish and then later on you can focus on a version that is more country specific (if that is your desire).

Last edited:

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
The original of course. Like with any language. British English is better (at least better than mine) , French better than in the colonies. Etc...Even dutch from Surinam and the Dutch Caribbean islands sound funny, not to speak Afrikaans.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Spain as one single category?

Yes. I am referring to Castellano. Not any other of the spoken languages in Spain that can be a mix or derived from one of the other languages. For that level of detail then it would need its own poll.

From an educational perspective or if a text book refers to Spanish from Spain it means castellano.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I meant accents, not regional languages. There are vast differences within Spain but that could also be said for some of the other groupings in the poll.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
I meant accents, not regional languages. There are vast differences within Spain but that could also be said for some of the other groupings in the poll.

Yes. But if I were to go that route you know how many break downs I would need? That is the not the intent. Each country has a standard recognizable accent per se and that is what I am referring to.

As well, those being polled would really have to know the accent within every country to respond as accurately as possible. I know I don’t know them and I started the poll.

Read the article to understand its simplicity. It is made in direct relation to the article.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Yes. But if I were to go that route you know how many break downs I would need? That is the not the intent. Each country has a standard recognizable accent per se and that is what I am referring to.

As well, those being polled would really have to know the accent within every country to respond as accurately as possible. I know I don’t know them and I started the poll.

Read the article to understand its simplicity. It is made in direct relation to the article.
Okay, I understand. I chose Andean. No idea why, because it's not one of the accents I was exposed to while growing up - those would be Madrid/Castillian, Andalusian, Argentinian and Venezuelan - but when I hear Peruvians speaking Spanish I find it easier on the ear than any other Spanish accent.

Reactions: Marianopolita

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
Do I understand now that the poll “best Spanish” is “the easiest on the ear”?
I give up.

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
What about the “Miami” Spanish? There seems to a certain way of speaking Spanish on Univision, CNN Español and those channels. Latin Americans looking and acting like Americans but speaking Spanish. Punta Cana has a bit of it to. They come from Cuba, DR, Venezuela, Mexico, Argentina, Colombia and more and seem to share a way of speaking. Am I right?

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
What about the “Miami” Spanish? There seems to a certain way of speaking Spanish on Univision, CNN Español and those channels. Latin Americans looking and acting like Americans but speaking Spanish. Punta Cana has a bit of it to. They come from Cuba, DR, Venezuela, Mexico, Argentina, Colombia and more and seem to share a way of speaking. Am I right?
US Spanish is becoming its own dialect, IMHO. Derived from Mexico but it has a lot of inputs.

I still had to go with Central America. I like the sing/song rhythm of the speaking which I'm sure is influenced by the native languages. I started learning the main Guatemalan mayan language. Interesting if you're into languages, but my daughters all rolled their eyes, so I guess the attraction isn't very universal.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Do I understand now that the poll “best Spanish” is “the easiest on the ear”?
I give up.

The best Spanish accent is what the poll is about. Whether it is easier on the ear or not would depend on the listener. Some people like a particular accent but can’t explain why and for others it’s tied to their ability to understand and linguistic factors like intonation and cadence.

Reactions: aarhus

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Okay, I understand. I chose Andean. No idea why, because it's not one of the accents I was exposed to while growing up - those would be Madrid/Castillian, Andalusian, Argentinian and Venezuelan - but when I hear Peruvians speaking Spanish I find it easier on the ear than any other Spanish accent.

Spanish spoken in Peru is considered to be neutral (at least in Lima) and very easy to understand. It always gets high ratings when accents are discussed in the Spanish-speaking world. That is why a lot of Spanish movies that are dubbed are by Peruvian speakers because their Spanish is considered to be very clear. However, telenovelas at least in the US is colombianos almost 100%.

Reactions: Chirimoya

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
Spanish spoken in Peru is considered to be neutral (at least in Lima) and very easy to understand. It always gets high ratings when accents are discussed in the Spanish-speaking world. That is why a lot of Spanish movies that are dubbed are by Peruvian speakers because their Spanish is considered to be very clear. However, telenovelas at least in the US is colombianos almost 100%.
Is colombianos then closer to that “Miami” Spanish I am talking about ?

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
The best Spanish accent is what the poll is about. Whether it is easier on the ear or not would depend on the listener. Some people like a particular accent but can’t explain why and for others it’s tied to their ability to understand and linguistic factors like intonation and cadence.
If that’s what you mean, maybe you should put it as: “ What’s the Spanish accent you best understand, or you like most”.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003

Yes you are correct. The US is the second largest Spanish-speaking country in the world after Mexico and it is not even the official language. It has over 50 million speakers, more than Colombia now and definitely more than Spain.

Spanish in Miami is a pot popurrí but the dominant accent is Caribbean without a doubt.

It is one of my favourite cities to speak Spanish.

Here is a recent thread in the topic:

Reactions: aarhus

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
If that’s what you mean, maybe you should put it as: “ What’s the Spanish accent you best understand, or you like most”.

Read the article and I think you will see that it is clear enough and the reason for the title but thanks for the suggestion.