Cedula ??

peep2

Bronze
Oct 24, 2004
Plan is to pick up my new (renewed) resident card on Monday. Is there really any need to get the new cedula ? My old resident card and cedula both had the same number, picture, address etc. Since I can't vote anyway what need for what is essentially a voter ID card.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
It is the cedula they watch - but - Yes, the number never changes....

Stay away from the airport with anything expired..... confiscation and real PIA to replace

Reactions: Fulano2

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Plan is to pick up my new (renewed) resident card on Monday. Is there really any need to get the new cedula ? My old resident card and cedula both had the same number, picture, address etc. Since I can't vote anyway what need for what is essentially a voter ID card.
The resident card and the cedula should have the same expiry date, normally.

peep2

Bronze
Oct 24, 2004
When I started the renewal process (around the time this covid business started) I turned in my old residency card and received a copy of it on a form with some sort of official looking stamp. Since then I have gone through immigration both ways several times. I show them my now expired cedula and a copy of the form I received with the simple explanation that I am in the process of renewing my residency. No problems. I suppose that in itself would be a reason to renew the cedula but basically my question is,, is there anything I need the cedula for that I can't use my resident card for just as well ?

Reactions: bob saunders

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
When I started the renewal process (around the time this covid business started) I turned in my old residency card and received a copy of it on a form with some sort of official looking stamp. Since then I have gone through immigration both ways several times. I show them my now expired cedula and a copy of the form I received with the simple explanation that I am in the process of renewing my residency. No problems. I suppose that in itself would be a reason to renew the cedula but basically my question is,, is there anything I need the cedula for that I can't use my resident card for just as well ?
Buying property...etc.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Any business transaction that requires a valid cedula. Banking, contracts, license, etc.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
You don't need a cedula to buy property. I bought mine before getting Residency using my passport for ID.
True, but having a edula makes all legal transactions much easier, banking easier, buying insurance easier, pretty much everything easier. It is not just a voter ID.

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
I once tried to use my license at a bank and was told they could not. Suppose it depends on the bank.

peep2

Bronze
Oct 24, 2004
As planned, on Monday I went and picked up my new residency card. It looks quite different from the old one and the number is very different. The old one had the same number as my old cedula. Today I went to pick up my new cedula. The process was painless, with the exception of my wallet being $150 lighter, in and out in less than ten minutes. Same number as my previous ones. I did notice that while the cedula has my street adress on the back, the residency card does not. Oh, and another thing, the new card makes me look several years older.

Reactions: CynthiaCom

CynthiaCom

Nov 22, 2019
As planned, on Monday I went and picked up my new residency card. It looks quite different from the old one and the number is very different. The old one had the same number as my old cedula. Today I went to pick up my new cedula. The process was painless, with the exception of my wallet being $150 lighter, in and out in less than ten minutes. Same number as my previous ones. I did notice that while the cedula has my street adress on the back, the residency card does not. Oh, and another thing, the new card makes me look several years older.

That is because the Junta Central Electoral is the one in charge of registering and maintaining a record of the home address (or legal domicile) of every resident in the DR, be it a citizen or a legal resident. As this address is the legal one, for legal or everyday transactions (be it an institution, another person, or a company) is the address where the person will be found so to make it easy for the other person, they put it on the back of the card. For citizens, it also helps with assigning the school where they will vote as it depends on where the person lives - they also put this on the cédula.

On the other hand, Immigrations handles the legal address that foreigners inform when they land.

Reactions: peep2