Bugs in the rice

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I'm fed up with finding insects walking around in my rice. I don't buy from the sack at the colmado, but sealed, branded packs from the supermarket. I've tried lots of different brands but they all seem to host these critters sooner or later. Any advice on how to buy bug-free rice please?

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
I'm fed up with finding insects walking around in my rice. I don't buy from the sack at the colmado, but sealed, branded packs from the supermarket. I've tried lots of different brands but they all seem to host these critters sooner or later. Any advice on how to buy bug-free rice please?
Very common. We keep our uncooked rice in a cold refrigerator or freezer. Cooking the rice kills the little buggers and eating the rice with the ...bodies is fine.

• Haha
Reactions: GusFring

Buxtonite

Dec 20, 2005
All my uncooked rice and pasta go into the freezer. If left in the cupboard, in short order, they would get weevils. All factory packaged and there never were any weevils visible when purchased.

Reactions: drstock

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
This is the reason Dominicans wash the rice so thoroughly before cooking. Are you talking about those little white worms? Ugh. We bought 3 five pound bags of rice at one store, all three had them. You couldn’t see them until you cooked the rice, then they floated to the top 😳

I think they make tiny holes in the bags and infest entire shelves. I switched to a different store, no more issues.

All 15 pounds ended up as bird food in our yard

Big

Apr 24, 2019
some bad news. Insect parts and rodent hairs are in many many foods we consume. The FDA even has acceptable levels "per part" of product. If you eat peanut butter you eat insect heads, thorax's and legs with a few rodent hairs blended in. Bread, yum yum, same thing.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
All my uncooked rice and pasta go into the freezer. If left in the cupboard, in short order, they would get weevils. All factory packaged and there never were any weevils visible when purchased.

I never considered storing pasta in the freezer.
Thank you for the advice.

GusFring

Apr 15, 2020
some bad news. Insect parts and rodent hairs are in many many foods we consume. The FDA even has acceptable levels "per part" of product. If you eat peanut butter you eat insect heads, thorax's and legs with a few rodent hairs blended in. Bread, yum yum, same thing.
🤮

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
I dont see what the big Deal is.. just RINSE it real good .
What do you think crawls around on your Vegetables, especially Lettuce, and fruit ? same thing ...
Also it was not that long ago, when small amounts of live worms in like flour , and other was considered more ORGANIC, because if the bugs can live in it, it must be all natural and no chemicals were used to store it .. that was a huge thing not that long ago, or am I remembering it wrong.

Reactions: JD Jones

Buffness

Self-imposed banned🫢
Oct 9, 2014
I remember buying a packet of Q Oats locally and taking it back to the store because it had what I could only describe creepy crawlies already feeding on it ...and the store owner was like ...so what ? Refund ? ...yeah right ...food standards...que ?

He basically gave me this look like I was the troublemaker spoiling his fun !

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
Bugs in rice and pasta is one thing, bugs in cigars is worse. Years ago a friend of mine brought a case of Arturo Fuente. Thanks very much. All in the humidor, weeks later all my cigars had holes.

Neargale

Jul 4, 2013
All comes with larva, eggs etc. When I lived on a sailboat, I would provision in Florida with flour, rice, pasta before crossing to the Bahamas for the winter. I would add a couple of bay leaves to each bag of the flour, rice and pasta and that kept the weevils away for the winter. I tried the same thing here and it did not work with the little brown crunchy insects in the rice But worked with others as I did not see other insects. Maybe the little brown crunchy insects need a different spice to inhibit éclosion and growth?
i have bought a freezer in March...no more bugs!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I remember buying a packet of Q Oats locally and taking it back to the store because it had what I could only describe creepy crawlies already feeding on it ...and the store owner was like ...so what ? Refund ? ...yeah right ...food standards...que ?

He basically gave me this look like I was the troublemaker spoiling his fun !
I bought a product that was mouldy and past its sell-by date, returned it, and the next time I went to the supermarket it was back on the shelf. La Cadena, Santo Domingo, admittedly a long time ago.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I'm still trying to figure out what's the issue with eating a couple of bugs? Ignorance is bliss, I imagine.