Still a long way to go, but spread of Covid-19 slows in the Dominican Republic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
That’s your opinion your hiding in your basement as per your words...you haven’t left your compound but handful of times... I’m out and about daily in My home country ...isn’t it funny top four in covid numbers Brazil US India Russia , leaders are best buds? Conspiracy? DR did great job until election... your wrong cv19 will eventually die off just like every other pandemic just hope we are here to argue it :)

Yes, isn't it funny how you choose to tell an entire populace how to live with restrictions, while you are out and about daily in YOUR HOME COUNTRY. Not even here within RD to witness it yourself. Oh, I know....you "receive information", or have "decades of experiences here". Ok. 👍
Funny, no.
Quite sad, yes.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Your putting words in my mouth your sounding like you want to win an election... I suggest baby steps take mask off walk outside your gate smell the air...next day a little more ...there is more to world then being keyboard warrior..

The RD election has passed.
Yet again, you can not help yourself but invoking politics of a foreign land.
It gets better in time.
Eat some flan with fresh berries.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
I was looking at some numbers yesterday and found a interesting point. Currently only .042% (less than half of 1%) of the worlds population has tested positive for Covid 19. That number includes all the false positives, common colds, motorcycle accidents and all the other nonsense reported as Covid.

Its no wonder people are sick of this and starting to ignore the "experts". If the curfew is lifted tomorrow it won't change overnight but it will change. People will go out. Businesses will have to hire more staff. The world will start to go around again. Hiding our heads in the sand and hoping for a vaccine is not enough.

If we offer better protection to the vulnerable I believe we can start going forward without the hysteria. The virus is lethal to seniors and people with existing respiratory conditions. Give these people better attention and care. I believe I had it in February and it was more of a severe cold with flu like conditions and a very bad cough. I did not get tested as I see no point in tying up a already over burdened health care system. I was sick, I got over it.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
You can forget tourism this year even if the curfew was lifted. And the longer an overly cautious government officials take to adjust hours or reverse the curfews the longer tourism will suffer and may drop further.
It takes a while until a person who is slowly poisoned to die.......same for tourism, it has been slowly poisoned and while not dead yet the longer the planes don't fly here the more likely they may not care to establish those routes.
Remember the airlines are losing money too and they will make choices as to what are the most profitable routes and if DR is not profitable it will be eliminate or seat prices will be raised - either one will have a permanent effect on people travelling.

I don't disagree, the longer these curfews stay in effect the more permanent damage will be done and the longer to recover. I am closing a call center I have had in Plaza Bella Terra. It's a great location for various reasons but I am done. My primary customer for this center is in California. When you consider the time difference it made no sense. So there goes jobs for up to 22 people. I will sell off the equipment, take my losses on investment and move on but it is not so easy for the employees.

• Sad
Reactions: NanSanPedro

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I don't disagree, the longer these curfews stay in effect the more permanent damage will be done and the longer to recover. I am closing a call center I have had in Plaza Bella Terra. It's a great location for various reasons but I am done. My primary customer for this center is in California. When you consider the time difference it made no sense. So there goes jobs for up to 22 people. I will sell off the equipment, take my losses on investment and move on but it is not so easy for the employees.
So the curfews made it impossible for you to keep the employees working late enough to deal with West Coast hours ?

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
I am sure if Chinas real numbers were revealed they would top the list. All four mentioned country have very big populations with crowded cities. It has absolutely nothing to do with their leaders who aren't buddies.
It’s ok keep telling yourself that ... Covid Living Matters !

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
What words did I put in your mouth? You said this to me and I quote: "your wrong cv19 will eventually die off just like every other pandemic"

I have only worn a mask 4 times so far. So it is not like I need to take it off before I walk around. If I do walk around, the government here says I have to have a mask on or I could be arrested.

You said I was wrong that CV19 would eventually die off. I never once said such a thing. I hoped there was herd immunity, but virologists do not believe there is any long term herd immunity. If there is no herd immunity, a vaccine will be of little use as well. It is you who attempted to put words in my mouth. CV19 is here, there and everywhere to stay.

Where I stay, is up to me, just as your behavior is up to you unless a government is violating your rights. Like the government in the DR does with curfews based upon a state of emergency.

I might venture forth a bit more. Time will tell.
I went into Sosua today after a workout (without a mask) in the Gym. While I wore a mask getting out of the car I took it off immediately to eat breakfast.
Then I walked to the liquor store and put it back on but I would say the percentage of people wearing mask ( I mean actually over their mouth and nose, not like a chin strap) is less than 50%.
So the masks are coming off on their own.
There must be some 'herd immunity' as Coach Orgeron of LSU announced almost all of his player have tested positive for the virus but all are healthy with little or no symptoms and will be playing after any quarantine periods, if any.
And the Big 10 just announced they will reverse their decision to close football and begin regular season games in October.
San Francisco is allowing the reopening of restaurants and hair salons, so drip drip the process is starting to play out.
Covid-19 is not the big fatal wide spread monster everyone was preaching. It was bad for some with weak systems but not it is petering out in its death rate.

I guess when NYC allows restaurants to reopen for indoor dining and all schools to open for real classes we will know that hold out mayor finally woke up too and the world is well on its way back to normal.

I am sure Abinader is watching other countries reopenings too.

I am guessing some time in October there will be a huge change to relax curfew hours in DR.

I have a friend pre-rented a place here and was planning on coming back this year for all winter from Canada. He told me today he cancelled the apartment after paying $500 for the last couple months. He said his wife refused to come if there was a curfew. They will shiver in Canada or go back to Mexico instead.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
So the curfews made it impossible for you to keep the employees working late enough to deal with West Coast hours ?

Yes, 3 hour time difference (soon to be 4 again). They were supposed to work 10-6 PST (1-9) our time. I had some work from home but with the light going out it just didn't work out.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Chico-
Those NYC eating establishments are restricted to 25% of their normal customers
The distancing requirement

New York City restaurants will be allowed to reopen their indoor dining areas at 25% capacity beginning Sept. 30, Gov. Andrew Cuomo announced Wednesday.

tough to make money unless the prices go up

Reactions: chico bill

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
So because of your favorite fine dining closures and your girlfriend's business you are willing for people to die from the spread of contagion.

Talk about ignorance.
Its time to flatten the fear folks.
Can someone please provide
us with the number of people
who died from Covid in the DR that didn't
have any pre-existing health issues?
Also, please provide us with the
number of people who have passed
away from the regular influenza that
did not have any pre-existing health issues?
Thanks in advance.

GusFring

Apr 15, 2020
This is how you and I, are very different. For me this is not about I, me, or myself. For you, it is about you, and what you believe is right for others.
I readily admit, I am personally not suffering.
I readily admit MY employees are not suffering.
But my employees do have family, neighbors, and friends who are suffering to a degree from this curfew/limited shutdown/new regulations in place. How do I know? I see them. I talk to them.
Persons who's ventures I have assisted/invested within are currently stalled, or limited in function.
This is a reality here within RD. Any person who resides here, or has interests here would easily understand this.
Those truly concerned only for themselves as numerous posters within this web forum show, could care less about rolling back these limitations on the general populace.
I am in a very fortunate position. Life has been good to me. I have been good to myself.
I want the same opportunities for every person.
I do not wish to tell others how to live their lives, while I live in comfort.
Persons with pride, want to provide......not collect.
Agree with most of this but many many many prideful Dominicans on suspension for months and months collecting full wages with a huge smile on their faces.

GusFring

Apr 15, 2020
Yes, 3 hour time difference (soon to be 4 again). They were supposed to work 10-6 PST (1-9) our time. I had some work from home but with the light going out it just didn't work out.
Sounds like little of the failure is based on the curfew and more on a failed business plan; providing any of your statements are not all lies.

• Wow
Reactions: bienamor

slowmo

Aug 1, 2016
How long before the DR government starts to use the word "equilibrium" , instead of flattening the curve, when it comes to CV19?

From a NY Times email today we can see how well this is working out:

Facing a possible second wave of coronavirus infections, European countries are trying to walk a tightrope: avoiding the harsh lockdowns of the spring, while also adhering to social-distancing rules and contact-tracing protocols.​
“It’s not possible to stop the virus,” said Emmanuel André, a leading virologist in Belgium. “It’s about maintaining equilibrium. And we only have a few tools available to do that.”​
Not sure that Belgium has any leading virologists as they are in second place in the deaths/million population at over 850. Peru just raced ahead in first place at over 900 with the US and Brazil barely over 600. Those numbers don't fit the narrative for the media as they would have you believe the US, Brazil and Sweden have the most deaths/million population.

Reactions: markelbat

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
Sounds like little of the failure is based on the curfew and more on a failed business plan; providing any of your statements are not all lies.

Failed business plan? I have a client which has time restraints for the tasks to be completed. I have a facility and the furniture and fixtures plus the infrastructure, with back ups to handle all foreseen problems. You not only no nothing about the Dominican Republic but appear to also display no business acumen.
Still haven't stated where you live Gus. Don't be ashamed of living in your mothers' basement.

GusFring

Apr 15, 2020
Bulletin #181: 105,521 confirmed cases, 718 new cases reported in the past 24 hours, 11 deaths, 1 death reported in the past 24 hours, fatality is 1.90% fatality rate per 1M is 192.28

About 3,900 PCR tests a day on average. 4,800 tests was record last week. At 5,000 tests per day everyone in the DR will have been tested in only 2,000 days😚

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Bulletin #181: 105,521 confirmed cases, 718 new cases reported in the past 24 hours, 11 deaths, 1 death reported in the past 24 hours, fatality is 1.90% fatality rate per 1M is 192.28

About 3,900 PCR tests a day on average. 4,800 tests was record last week. At 5,000 tests per day everyone in the DR will have been tested in only 2,000 days😚
And not a single one of them had any
pre-existing conditions....got it.
Like I said..beatin back the fear one
comment at a time.

Reactions: Garyexpat

user123

Aug 16, 2017
The funniest thing about this whole pandemic thing is how scared the old people are 😁. The older the people are the more paranoid they are 😂. My father's attitude is "I'm gonna be dead in a few years anyway, I'm not gonna live out my last years being locked up and living like a wimp, if 20 year old kids who have their whole lives ahead of them aren't afraid to volunteer to go to war why would I be afraid that I'm gonna die at 64 instead of 74". Last weekend he went to a local soccer game with 100s of people around. This whole thing is ridicules, and political, and ruining lives! More lives are gonna be lost by the crime this thing will cause and poverty and the stress-related heart attacks and other illnesses than by the virus itself.

Reactions: markelbat
Status
Not open for further replies.