I made a short video about why I'm moving from USA to DR

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
Playa Alicia and the two restaurants there are Sosua hidden gem! imo.

If you want good and reasonable priced food on Cab beach, go to Mojito. I rarely eat on the other restaurants on the beach, there are more economic alternatives with super quality if you don’t need sitting at the beach, like most tourists do.
I don’t exactly what you call super quality but when we get hungry after buying groceries at Janets, we sometimes stop at Heksenkessel for a chicken with “french fries”. For some reason I got never disappointed there. Fantastic for observing people walking by.

Reactions: Michael DR

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Sorry for the delay, was traveling yesterday which included a long layover in Miami. Didn't mean to leave you hanging. Other than the reasons stated in the video and the thread are:

-small beach town. Good weather and no snow
-established English speaking expats
-I don't like cities. I wouldn't be too happy in Santo Domingo. Even Denver was to big for me. I hate traffic and large crowds
-can walk to get all essential products
-dollar goes further
- Not a lot of paperwork needed for long stays
-I'm pursuing the digital nomad lifestyle. That's to say move to a new country every several months. The DR seems like a good first country for that. Close enough to home if things go terribly wrong. Also not a huge timezone difference to reach out to support system back home. My Spanish is poor but I have zero experience in other languages.

After reading through this thread, I'm thinking I'll move to Cabarete when my air bnb in Sosua expires. It sounds like its more my style. I'd rather read on the beach than party on the beach. I like things quiet.
Go for it.

CDNBear

Banned
Sep 29, 2020
Cabarete
I don’t exactly what you call super quality but when we get hungry after buying groceries at Janets, we sometimes stop at Heksenkessel for a chicken with “french fries”. For some reason I got never disappointed there. Fantastic for observing people walking by.

Agreed. But closed for a while. Really sad. Hopefully they are able to reopen.

On the opposite side of the street there is a small bar where you can have refreshments and do the same people watching. But there is almost nothing to see at the moment.

Best bet is coming over on a weekend, a lot of Dominicans usually spend their day on the beach. Often bring drinks & food with them.

Reactions: David B

David B

Aug 31, 2017
Gosh.. are we talking about the same Maimon?

I lived in Maimon for 6 years. I didn't have tanks of water, and my electricity was really good once I installed my own transformer so I wouldn't have to share one with all my neighbors (the main cause of brownouts)

One of my favorite experiences there was eating fish at the seafood restaurants.

Best fish!

David B

Aug 31, 2017
Nope, but that's part of the adventure. Another thing that I probably should have emphasized stronger is that I lived in Colorado my WHOLE life. Getting out and exploring a different culture is a motivating factor.

Colorado really isn't chaotic, there's just a concern of violent political clashes. A lot of rednecks and neo-hippies have taken up the new hobby of yelling at each other on public streets in Denver. Some bring pepper spray, some bring guns. There's been a few deaths. I don't think it will erupt into a situation where a lot of people will die, but that risk is greater now than any other time I've lived there (including the 2008 Democratic Convention which was in Denver.)

I lived out in the burbs where things aren't too rowdy except for a few bricks that made it through a few windows. Also some vandalized cars that had political bumper stickers. Sad thing is I have friends in the proud boys and antifa. I hate that they got seduced into these aggresive groups. They both seem to be itching for more fights.

You'll have fun.

Michael DR

Banned
Jun 7, 2020
Earth
I have to disagree with Cabarete beach and safety. Been windsurfing there since 1998 and the beach are safe if you can swim and don’t panic if a powerful wave turns you around. Actually I find swimming in Sosua boring, unless you are snorkeling, which used to be great there and there is still some coral left I hear.

The wind in the afternoon when its pick up, are refreshing. To hot without it.

But Cabarete is dead now, compared to normal high season. Half maybe of the restaurants are still open though.

Feel free to PM me if you want some spesific info. I live there
Would you say that most visitors to the beach "can swim" adequately? Do you think that if they got caught in a strong current that they wouldn't panic?

You may find Sosua boring but many (tens of) thousands visit every year. You may be a strong enough, experienced and powerful enough swimmer who knows the water there and to not panic but can you say the same for the people just visiting there?

How many or better asked what percentage of Dominicans are confident and trained swimmers? What about the percentage of them that are scared of the water or are not competent swimmers?

My answer to all of this is no, most people are not trained or competent swimmers. Many just want to stand in the waves and cool off. Most, even trained and experienced swimmers panic when caught by surprise in a strong current and many die. Many of the Dominicans I've come to know don't swim well and are fearful including my better half, and she spends a lot of time in the pool, too.

No doubt that as a windsurfer you don't find Cabarete too windy LOL but for the rest of us, anywhere that has to erect plexiglass barriers to protect customers from the wind and blowing sand has a wind issue. At least that's my supported opinion. Enjoy the breeze, Bear :D

Reactions: CDNBear

CDNBear

Banned
Sep 29, 2020
Cabarete
There is no strong currents in main Cabarete beach. The people I have seen or heard drowned there was either not able to swim (many Dominicans can't) and/or intoxicated. Or scared to death catching the power of a breaking wave.

I know some disagree, but having spent my hours in the water there with broken equipment swimming, or crossing the bay swimming on non surfable days, I feel I have strong base for my opinion.

Yours of course differ.

I wouldn't swim at the main surf beach at playa Encuentro. I see that the press says people drown in Cabarete when they actually drown there.

I like sitting at the very nice beach at Sosua, which I prefer for it trees and shade and charming restaurants.
But not to swim, but for the ambience and people watching. When young I also liked to swim at Playa Grande, that might be a bad idea now.

Michael DR

Banned
Jun 7, 2020
Earth
There is no strong currents in main Cabarete beach. The people I have seen or heard drowned there was either not able to swim (many Dominicans can't) and/or intoxicated. Or scared to death catching the power of a breaking wave.

I know some disagree, but having spent my hours in the water there with broken equipment swimming, or crossing the bay swimming on non surfable days, I feel I have strong base for my opinion.

Yours of course differ.

I wouldn't swim at the main surf beach at playa Encuentro. I see that the press says people drown in Cabarete when they actually drown there.

I like sitting at the very nice beach at Sosua, which I prefer for it trees and shade and charming restaurants.
But not to swim, but for the ambience and people watching. When young I also liked to swim at Playa Grande, that might be a bad idea now.
I appreciate your perspective and experience. I believe it is contributing to bias that the majority of people would not fit. That's ok, the OP certainly has gotten his moneys worth LOL

I agree about Sosua beach. It's probably boring for you and other experienced swimmer but many people love it for that including me. I don't even bring trunks and a towel when going to Cabarete.

Encuentro is a different story all together and there is a long history of drownings there. I don't surf or kiteboard and would never go into the water there. I know my many limits

Michael DR

Banned
Jun 7, 2020
Earth
That was 20 years ago so I can't give you accurate costs, but it entailed hiring an electrical engineer (the guy I got was an employee of CDE) who had to draw up plans based on an assessment of my property then present it to CDE for approval.

By doing that I had a transformer connected to the primary line with clean power and very few outages and no brownouts (many of which are caused by illegal connections overloading the transformer).

In my particular case, I had to buy 3 posts and the transformer. At the time I did it, they were very hard to find used and new were much more expensive. He was able to find a used one in Santo Domingo.

IIRC, his charge for plans, approval, and supervision of the installation was around 2K dollars plus the cost of the transformer and materials.
Thanks! That sounds like money well spent to me

Reactions: JD Jones

CDNBear

Banned
Sep 29, 2020
Cabarete
I even remember the glass bottom boat in Sosua beach, taking tourists out to the beautiful reef. I guess snorkling there is still fun, but most of the corals are gone

Reactions: Michael DR

CDNBear

Banned
Sep 29, 2020
Cabarete
If you want a super safe place for a bath at Cabarete, take the small road passing the parking lot at Janet's. Go to the end of the road. There is usually no parking space there left.

Take the stairs down to the beach. If it smells bad, it's probably a drunk tourist who's pissed there.

Do not worry about any empty bottles or rubbish from the previous party.

Turn right and you will find a naturally protected pool that is safe for children. The water is clean.

Do not tell this to anyone else. I like to take my children there, and the place is tiny.

CDNBear

Banned
Sep 29, 2020
Cabarete
I forgot to mention, check the tidewater table for Puerto Plata. If you go on low, the more shallow the pool. On high you might have waves coming over the wall/dead reef. Some like it, some kids might find it to much.

There is strong currents in the pool when the waves supply fresh water, nothing to worry about imo.

Watch the kidd

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
Dont forget to tell the OP about the sewer water that's runs into the beach water and stinks like SH** ......... and two dirty Supermarkets .....

No thanks

• Haha

CDNBear

Banned
Sep 29, 2020
Cabarete
That could be downstream of the location I mentioned. Hardly believe Sosua bay have a lesser problem either.

I have never got sick swimming and gobbling water at Cabarete. Can't guarantee same experience for others, but the beach is packed with surfers every day normally.

CDNBear

Banned
Sep 29, 2020
Cabarete
Have you guys even any clue about what you published. Only fairly tales or some facts? When they prepare fish at the restaurants the spill water smells bad.
But I eat beef there :))

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Is the German restaurant down the street from the cell tower coming into Cabarate still open? Cannot go wrong there. Ricardo runs a tight ship.

CDNBear

Banned
Sep 29, 2020
Cabarete
Is the German restaurant down the street from the cell tower coming into Cabarate still open? Cannot go wrong there. Ricardo runs a tight ship.
Agree. But I haven't figured out which day's/schedule he is serving food.
Nowadays I go to the German Grill outside Sosua for the same experience.

I could pass by and see if he still cares about opening under the covid-19 situation

David B

Aug 31, 2017
Been dividing my time between an apt in Cabarete and my house in Maimon. Have to say we find Cabarete a little boring. And yes, the sea is more intense here compared to other areas, but I don't see a big problem with swimming. Sosua is definitely more fun but, as we always say about NYC, it's a fun place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there (at least not in town). Spent a lovely afternoon yesterday on Playa Sosua getting ripped with my significant other.