Online firearms renewal

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Todays DR1 News points out that onlne firearm renewals are now possible.

https://dr1.com/forums/showthread.p...Monday-11-November-2019?p=1987570#post1987570

I searched the MIP site for a detailed description of the process and the requirements and didn't find what I was looking for. I did not enter in any info into the renewal portal as my renewal is many months away and I couldn't be bothered trudging to the other side of the house to get my cedula #.

I don't see how this online process will be of much help if a trip to SD is still required for the ballistics check and firearm modification inspection. If anyone uses this process I'd appreciate hearing how it works and if anything is in fact easier as a result.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Neither did I find a place to pee into my computer for the urine test (prueba de drogas). :p

I suspect the only thing it avoids is standing in line at BanReservas to pay the fees.

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
Last week on a Thursday morning seems to miss the crowds.

BanReservas $9,115. Less then 15 minutes. In Sosua.
Clinic: $750. Less then 10 minutes. Across from Playero. (parked in Playero and crossed street. Shopping done after clinic.)

Will drive to S.D. on Sunday/24th to miss traffic and enjoy the hotel and area. Mon. AM take a cab to the ballistics place and should not take more then 30 minutes. Go shopping, have some fun. Return home on Tues.

Not that difficult and we spend a couple of nights so we can have some fun .... except that drive back.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I have been to Santo Domingo more times than I can count. Fun is not something I have when I am there. I no longer drive there. That just makes a bad situation more horrible.

As for the renewal procedure, it remains the same as DR Solar describes despite some new potential online part which is as yet not described here in the renewal process. But why would we expect anything else other than one web page saying one thing and another web page saying another? Perhaps the site I listed below will eventually catch up to the new procedure.

https://www.mip.gob.do/index.php/so...icencia-de-porte-y-tenencia-de-armas-de-fuego

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
Hearing that the Turistica is now a good drive, thinking of taking that. Question: Can I get directly onto the Santiago by-pass?

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
For me trips to SD are just a pain. I'm not interested in spending the night and would have nothing of particular interest to do by myself except maybe see a movie and feast on fast food that I can't get closer to home. I pay my renewal fees and get the drug test 10-14 before I plan to go to SD. Catch the "Zero Dark Thirty" Caribe Tours (negates the need for a taxi to Labbs) to SD. Jump through he hoops and catch then next bus back. I am generally home by 5 pm. Lots of sitting being bored but for now it just can't be avoided.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
For me trips to SD are just a pain. I'm not interested in spending the night and would have nothing of particular interest to do by myself except maybe see a movie and feast on fast food that I can't get closer to home. I pay my renewal fees and get the drug test 10-14 before I plan to go to SD. Catch the "Zero Dark Thirty" Caribe Tours (negates the need for a taxi to Labbs) to SD. Jump through he hoops and catch then next bus back. I am generally home by 5 pm. Lots of sitting being bored but for now it just can't be avoided.

I try to do the same. For the license renewal that is usually what I do, even the 8:20 AM bus from Sosua will do. It is like going from NY to LA and back again on the same day. Some trips, like for Migracion related reasons, just require that overnight stay because of their less than client friendly policies and personell.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
The earlier I leave the earlier I get back...usually. Once, the trip back took almost 8 hours! New driver I guess, never seemed to go over 80 km/h, seems like he stopped at every intersection to drop off/pickup, was not an express bus so spent enough time traversing Santiago to be considered a resident of that city. Got home well after dark - kinda of like back home in the winter, leave in the dark, get home in the dark. :)

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Neither did I find a place to pee into my computer for the urine test (prueba de drogas). :p

I suspect the only thing it avoids is standing in line at BanReservas to pay the fees.

How about the ballistics test. Maybe they just want you to shoot your computer then pee on it

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
Some look at travel as a pain in the @ss. Some look at the mandatory trip as a pain in the @ss but make the most of it and have a good time. It's up to the individual.

Looking forward to our yearly 2 night trip staying at the Hilton Embassy Suites. Make it a fun adventure.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
I use the ballistics check as an excuse for meatballs and jam in Ikea! I only have them once a year!

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Some look at travel as a pain in the @ss. Some look at the mandatory trip as a pain in the @ss but make the most of it and have a good time. It's up to the individual.

Looking forward to our yearly 2 night trip staying at the Hilton Embassy Suites. Make it a fun adventure.

Most things in life I can deal with. I have been to Santo Domingo dozens of times. It is never a good thing for me. There is nothing about the place that I like. My Santo Domingo glass is always half empty. I used to travel for a living, staying at a Hilton in a crappy city is not a fun experience. Did I mention I hate Santo Domingo?

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
Arrived at ballistics lab at 8:15 this Monday morning. (They open at 8 AM.) Straight to the desk and then right into a room to hand over my gun. Out and straight over to the counter for photo and finger prints. Didn't even have a chance to sit down until now and that lasted only a couple of minutes. Get gun back and then another window for my new permit. Less then 20 minutes at the most. Only 5 other people in the place for permits. Real nice. UNTIL...

Wife wants to go shopping.

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
Nov. 2020. Time to start to renew permit.

1st thing is to go to Banco Popular to pay for the permit renewal. 10:30 and line was all the way down the outside, side to just about the steet. 6' markers on the sidewalk. We took the last spot as appropriate. 20 minutes later, we were being told to move back since line cutters had arrived. At this point, the markers and social distancing had long gone. Only one person out of over 20 new arrivals took their place behind us.
We did note that most had masks, but crowded in together. A lesson learned.
We left.
Having almost 20 years of D.R. permits and now having to expose ourselves at bank, then clinic, the hotel, restaurants and ballistic place, we ain't doing it this year.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Nov. 2020. Time to start to renew permit.

1st thing is to go to Banco Popular to pay for the permit renewal. 10:30 and line was all the way down the outside, side to just about the steet. 6' markers on the sidewalk. We took the last spot as appropriate. 20 minutes later, we were being told to move back since line cutters had arrived. At this point, the markers and social distancing had long gone. Only one person out of over 20 new arrivals took their place behind us.
We did note that most had masks, but crowded in together. A lesson learned.
We left.
Having almost 20 years of D.R. permits and now having to expose ourselves at bank, then clinic, the hotel, restaurants and ballistic place, we ain't doing it this year.
Have you considered using a different branch? Paying a person to stand in line for you?

I send my driver to do most of my running around for me. Just like you I'm not a fan of the aggravation.

Most of the folks in line are there to talk to a customer service rep. The times I can't avoid a visit I call ahead and talk to my manager and she meets me at the door to get in.

CG

Bronze
Sep 16, 2004
Go online or call and make a scheduled appointment directly with the ballistics lab on Ave Mexico, you arrive at the designated time, you pay, you pee, you do the ballistics check and your done in 30 minutes. You can do it all there now...

Reactions: AlterEgo

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I believe you also need to contact LABBS for an appointment these days.

All the banks have signage asking customers to give priority to the elderly, pregnant women and the infirm. If the line is excessively long I have spoken to the doorman and explained that I have a bad hip an am older than most in line. They usually let me in. I don't turn around to see the reaction of those in line.

Reactions: JD Jones

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Go online or call and make a scheduled appointment directly with the ballistics lab on Ave Mexico, you arrive at the designated time, you pay, you pee, you do the ballistics check and your done in 30 minutes. You can do it all there now...
Not sure if you can pay the fee there for renewal. I don't think so.
Yes you have to make an appointment and can do the the anti-doping test right there at the ballistics lab.

They don't issue the license while you wait there any more, so they send it to the bank where you paid the fee.
That only took about 4 months. What nonsense it all is to have to do this annually.

CG

Bronze
Sep 16, 2004
Not sure if you can pay the fee there for renewal. I don't think so.
Yes you have to make an appointment and can do the the anti-doping test right there at the ballistics lab.

They don't issue the license while you wait there any more, so they send it to the bank where you paid the fee.
That only took about 4 months. What nonsense it all is to have to do this annually.
I renewed late Sept and was able to pay on the spot & received the new permit all in well under an hour. Due to Covid wasn’t able to get there prior to my permit expiring so was 7 weeks late - no issue with renewal at all but the new permit held the original expiration date.

It’s ridiculous that it’s yearly, you’d think that they could make them valid for 2 years Minimum seeing as the majority walk around with expired permits anyway.

At least they’ve made it easier by eliminating the visit to La Referencia Labs for the doping... baby steps

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
Have you considered using a different branch? Paying a person to stand in line for you?

I send my driver to do most of my running around for me. Just like you I'm not a fan of the aggravation.

Most of the folks in line are there to talk to a customer service rep. The times I can't avoid a visit I call ahead and talk to my manager and she meets me at the door to get in.
Not our first rodeo. Sheesh