December in DR

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
Just another reminder of where you are.

Yesterday I went to the bank to do some business. Had to wait in the line outside to enter for servicio al cliente. Man told me he was there to cancel his credit card because he was robbed by two punks on motor with machete the day before. Stole his cedula, credit card, and cell phone.

This morning my wife exited the house to deliver some homework of my daughter to the colegio and speak with the teacher. It is walking distance. In front of the house, two punks on motor went by, turned around, and robbed her at gun point. Took her cartera with celular, cedula, and one other card. I was sleeping inside.

We have the event on video from security camera. And good photo of the two punks. One with mask and hat, other without.

We use Find my Iphone on computer. Find where phone is. My wife goes to police. (Leave this gringo out of it for now.). They do a report.

Later I have to show them the house where the cell phone is because they don't read maps (from Find my Iphone). Beautiful Google Maps satellite view. Five houses from one corner. Pink house in satellite photo next door. They tell me they can't be sure that is the house. Many neighbors looking on. All you have to do is show them the photo and video and ask them where the punks are. But no. Not to be. They tell us go to police station again where there is a better computer that can more surely identify the exact house. We go. No such computer.

At this point they tell us they are working the case. En dos lados. Ok. Vamos a ver. We just want the stuff back.

WIfe has rejected the idea for now of more heat. She is probably right.

Footnote: The neighbor says the same two punks robbed another girl at the corner this morning too. All this at about 9 in the morning. This is not a bad neighborhood. Just average December sh*t in DR. Of course it could happen anywhere ;)

• Wow
Reactions: bob saunders

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Find My iPhone isn’t an exact science, found that out the hard way. Mr AE and I took his pickup truck to deliver something to a friend as a favor. We got home and he realized his phone was missing. We thought he probably dropped it unloading the truck, so he headed back to look for it and I stayed home.

A few minutes later I thought about “find my iPhone” so I ran it from my phone. It immediately registered that the phone was nearby, and pinpointed a house about 4 doors down, so I thought he must have dropped it when walking the dog. He wasn’t back yet, so I took a walk down and rang the bell.

Neighbor thought I was bonkers, I showed him my phone with his address. We walked around and looked, even peered into the sewer grate in street. I gave up and went home.

Came back to our house and remembered that we had been out earlier in the car, so just for the hell of it I went to the garage and opened the driver’s door and poked around. There was the phone, sitting between the seats.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014

Yesterday I went to the bank to do some business. Had to wait in the line outside to enter for servicio al cliente. Man told me he was there to cancel his credit card because he was robbed by two punks on motor with machete the day before. Stole his cedula, credit card, and cell phone.

This morning my wife exited the house to deliver some homework of my daughter to the colegio and speak with the teacher. It is walking distance. In front of the house, two punks on motor went by, turned around, and robbed her at gun point. Took her cartera with celular, cedula, and one other card. I was sleeping inside.

We have the event on video from security camera. And good photo of the two punks. One with mask and hat, other without.

We use Find my Iphone on computer. Find where phone is. My wife goes to police. (Leave this gringo out of it for now.). They do a report.

Later I have to show them the house where the cell phone is because they don't read maps (from Find my Iphone). Beautiful Google Maps satellite view. Five houses from one corner. Pink house in satellite photo next door. They tell me they can't be sure that is the house. Many neighbors looking on. All you have to do is show them the photo and video and ask them where the punks are. But no. Not to be. They tell us go to police station again where there is a better computer that can more surely identify the exact house. We go. No such computer.

At this point they tell us they are working the case. En dos lados. Ok. Vamos a ver. We just want the stuff back.

Footnote: The neighbor says the same two punks robbed another girl at the corner this morning too. All this at about 9 in the morning. This is not a bad neighborhood. Just average December sh*t in DR. Of course it could happen anywhere ;)
Tis the season. If it were me. 500 pesos to each officer upon the return of my stolen goods. You'd probably have them back in your possession before dinner time this evening.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

Are you in the capital?

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
My mother-in-law took mil pesos the first time for just that reason. She knows what to do. I trust her judgement. She did not offer it. I just have to let that go for now. The second time I took mil pesos also. They did not say anything about making things go faster. My judgement was don't start throwing money around especially since the then knew there was an extranjero involved. We will see. If nothing more happens today we will decide. At some point better to just let go. I know how to interpret code for give my money. Mas o meno.

(I understand about Find my Ipnone - but I have experience with it in this area. It is pretty accurate. As I say, just show the neighbors that were looking on when we were there the video and photo. Someone knows who these punks are.

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
My wife knows better than to have those things in her cartera. Carry the cartera empty. Give that to them. Keep the other things in your waist or equal. This all happened in about 30 seconds.

Don't let your guard down. Especially in December.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
My mother-in-law took mil pesos the first time for just that reason. She knows what to do. I trust her judgement. She did not offer it. I just have to let that go for now. The second time I took mil pesos also. They did not say anything about making things go faster. My judgement was don't start throwing money around especially since the then knew there was an extranjero involved. We will see. If nothing more happens today we will decide. At some point better to just let go. I know how to interpret code for give my money. Mas o meno.

(I understand about Find my Ipnone - but I have experience with it in this area. It is pretty accurate. As I say, just show the neighbors that were looking on when we were there the video and photo. Someone knows who these punks are.

Ewww, bad experience.
Hope your wife is OK.

Not easy for a neighbor to identify the thieves for the PN..... They have to live in close proximity to those guys..... and they probably ain't going to prison for a handbag or 2, sadly.

Serves as a reminder to me, not to be complacent. As months and years go by, and all is well, it is human nature to let the guard fall a bit.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Note:
The PN are well aware of who does what in the areas they control. Unfortunately they will often tolerate low level street crimes until the perp screws up and seriously injures or kills their victim.

Reactions: franco1111

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Another December story

My friend was visited by the police one December -
How are you?
Happy with our service?
That sort of chatter....
He was very laudatory in his answers..... but pecuniary..... no do re mi

Few days later, he's robbed..... his solar panels took flight

Goes to his beloved gendarmes ...... who are happy to help....

He gives it the Black Knight treatment..... axle grease...

Next night (at 1PM) his prayers are answered.....
The police have returned the lost /stolen panels

When he could have pawned them off at the initial visit for 500 or so
It was a few thousand this time...

Life works in wondrous ways.....

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
This morning my wife finds a publication on Facebook. Photo of her cartera and cell phone. It says we found these abandoned near the salud publica. Call this number. My inclination is to give the info to police and have them call. But that is not how it works here. My wife calls. The guy who answers says if these things are really yours come get them. Gives us the address. I look at Find my Iphone. Shows phone is now two houses over from where it was before - about 4 km from where we live. My wife goes with my Dominican associate who is quite good at certain skills. Woman comes to door of exactly the house shown on Find my Iphone. Man does not appear. Wife gives her a small token of appreciation. Done. What is strange is that her cedula is not there. (Nor the bank card which we already canceled.) Airpods gone. Easy to sell. But they do not show on Find my Iphone. No one is using them. They have not been turned on this whole time.

Reactions: JD Jones

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Had that happen to me in PHL..... stolen wallet from my unlocked car

Found abandoned on the lawn a few houses away....
Gas card gone.... and heavily used all night at a Sunoco ... card waived payment

All else intact ....

Glad you're back in one piece.....

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
First you pay the police to find the bad guys... the police know who they are and get money from them..no arrest, and when you ask them did you find them the answer is no...just normal business... remember the new presidente cut the Policemans pay months ago.

Reactions: franco1111

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
The police are still involved. The important thing
Had that happen to me in PHL..... stolen wallet from my unlocked car

Found abandoned on the lawn a few houses away....
Gas card gone.... and heavily used all night at a Sunoco ... card waived payment

All else intact ....

Glad you're back in one piece.....
Thanks. Apparently it is common for the ladrones to ditch the cartera and other things of little value to them. And keep only those things they can easily sell. They can't sell the Iphone because it is locked with code and face recognition.

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
The police are still involved. The important thing to take away from this is don't let you guard down. Ever. And especially this month.