Restaurants and bars hard hit by extension of curfew

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Bares-Hoy-e1608214762664.jpg

They were just starting to recover from days of Covid-19 lockdown. Now restaurants and bars are being told they need to shut down by 7pm on weekdays, again.

Small business owners in the Colonial City say the extending the curfew hours announced by Vice President Raquel Peña on Tuesday, 15 December 2020, is a big blow for them. The health authorities stretched from 7pm to 9pm the curfew hours on weekdays. Now businesses are ordered to close by 7pm and people to be home before 9pm.

Grey Heyaine, of the Association of Bars and Restaurants of the Colonial Zone complained the businesses were just adjusting to the new schedules. She said the way things are going, the bars and restaurants will have to close permanently, leaving thousands of employees without work. She said already more than 50 association members have closed permanently due to the restrictions imposed by the government...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
But in Sosua the police actually came in and required a large and popular restaurant, near the hotels, to close at 6 PM, not 7. And did not even allow the staff to clean up but made them leave as well. Ordered everyone out, dishes left on tables.
I suspect the owner cleaned up and employees were allowed back after the police left becuase that was silly.

But if you are planning on a meal make sure you can finish it and the drinks by 6 PM and be ready to pay & scram.
Sure it's going to hurt restaurants and bars severely - and guess what the politicos don't care if shifts are cut, employees are reduced in hours or lose the job entirely. So it's last call for tourism, drink em down fellas.

Marie Antoinette would be proud of the haughty politicians that posture with their self-righteous virtue signalling.

Meantime one such pompous moron - Gavin Newsom in California - is experiencing when people have had enough, as he is well on his way to be placed up for a recall vote by spring.

I wonder if Andrew Cuomo or DeBlasio can be far behind ?

And don't think Abinader is beyond the reach of mobs burning tires in intersections or truck huelgas blocking the streets either as people are beginning to be metaphorically choked to death.

We may soon see who steps up to become cogs in the machine.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
But in Sosua the police actually came in and required a large and popular restaurant, near the hotels, to close at 6 PM, not 7. And did not even allow the staff to clean up but made them leave as well. Ordered everyone out, dishes left on tables.
I suspect the owner cleaned up and employees were allowed back after the police left becuase that was silly.

But if you are planning on a meal make sure you can finish it and the drinks by 6 PM and be ready to pay & scram.
Sure it's going o hurt restaurants and bars - and guess what the politicos don't care if shifts are cut, employees are reduced in hours or lose the job entirely. It's last call for tourism

Marie Antoinette would be proud of the haughty politicians that posture with their self-righteous virtue signalling.

Meantime one such pompous moron - Gavin Newsom in California - is experiencing when people have had enough, as he is well on his way to be placed up for a recall vote by spring.

And don't think Abinader is beyond the reach of mobs burning tires in intersections or truck huelgas blocking the streets either as people are beginning to be metaphorically choked to death.

You very well could be right about Abinader. I just hope you're not. I experienced that shit in Haiti and it's no picnic.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017

Sure it's going to hurt restaurants and bars severely - and guess what the politicos don't care if shifts are cut, employees are reduced in hours or lose the job entirely. So it's last call for tourism, drink em down fellas.

Not every RD locale is feeling the same "pinch".
Politics are truly in effect here, and right now.
Just sayin'.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Hope & Change.
I heard this some place before.
In a land, far, far, away.............

• Haha
Reactions: nanita

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
after the police left becuase that was silly.

Based on the news, I believe that is all the authorities are capable of here... They don't care if something they do makes sense or even does damage, they have orders and they follow those. No brains needed for the job... Your firearm is enough...

There are exceptions though, I have seen videos of the PN acting with brain as well, but that was an exception...

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I have been very surprised that there have not been revolts after 9 months of various restrictions here in the DR.

I think it has to do with many people doing what they want in the barrios and not getting caught.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
I have been very surprised that there have not been revolts after 9 months of various restrictions here in the DR.

I think it has to do with many people doing what they want in the barrios and not getting caught.

Back in March/April, community member alexw was proclaiming just as such.
That was the last we heard of him.
I hope he is safe and sound In Portland or Seattle right about now.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Well , the streets and stores are certainly busy , regardless of or perhaps because of the curfew. We find it frustrating that everything is open except schools. We can easily operate safely with proper healthy protocols, we don't have most of the issues of public schools. We have lots of room, large clean modern washrooms, trained cleaners, ability to enter in one entry and exit out another....etc. Day Care are open without any restrictions. Our students would be safer at school than home in many cases.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
But in Sosua the police actually came in and required a large and popular restaurant, near the hotels, to close at 6 PM, not 7. And did not even allow the staff to clean up but made them leave as well.
Which restaurant was this and what day did this take place?

Tarheel

Dec 19, 2005
Well , the streets and stores are certainly busy , regardless of or perhaps because of the curfew. We find it frustrating that everything is open except schools. We can easily operate safely with proper healthy protocols, we don't have most of the issues of public schools. We have lots of room, large clean modern washrooms, trained cleaners, ability to enter in one entry and exit out another....etc. Day Care are open without any restrictions. Our students would be safer at school than home in many cases.
I think the experts around the globe are coming to the realization that schools can be safe and that we should make sure they reopen as soon as possible. I do think that giving teachers priority in getting a vaccine would be a smart move.

Reactions: DRob and CristoRey

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I think the experts around the globe are coming to the realization that schools can be safe and that we should make sure they reopen as soon as possible. I do think that giving teachers priority in getting a vaccine would be a smart move.
A school in Florida that was allowing students (one of them in my family) to attend class in person has decided to have all classes on line after January 1. And Florida is very "open" compared to many places. So I guess it depends upon each specific locale from one week to the next how things open or close. It will be that way through "vaccination year" (2021). At some point based upon arbitrary and capricious numbers various locations will relax restrictions over the next year. Kids should be back in school in the DR by 2022 and I expect bars and restaurants will be operating under the new normal by then as well with hours and policies similar but slightly different to before the pandemic.

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
Back in March/April, community member alexw was proclaiming just as such.
That was the last we heard of him.
I hope he is safe and sound In Portland or Seattle right about now.

I always thought Alexw was a woman. I think she referred to herself as such on a couple of occasions. Or maybe I misread...