Curfew Tightened Considerably

Status
Not open for further replies.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Tossing hundreds into jail cells every night will certainly help stop the spread, won't it?
Versus what, tossing dozens or more into bars?

In a bar or behind them, crowding is an issue. I imagine the threat of jail is meant as a deterrence more than a health policy.

The only way this (finally getting the bug under control until there's an easily available and affordable vaccine), is by, oh I don't know:

- wash your hands;
- wear a mask; and
- keep your distance.

Rocket science, this ain't. Being a responsible adult, this is.

twoinsosua

Student of the Arts.
Nov 6, 2020
Canada
Tossing hundreds into jail cells every night will certainly help stop the spread, won't it? Regular folks are now treated like criminals. No way Luis is going to get a second term in office after this.
Out of those hundreds of criminals how many have the dreaded covid? And then spread it to other cellmates. Who goes home and spreads it to ...... and so on and so on...

Reactions: Garyexpat

twoinsosua

Student of the Arts.
Nov 6, 2020
Canada

In a bar or behind them, crowding is an issue. I imagine the threat of jail is meant as a deterrence more than a health policy.

The only way this (finally getting the bug under control until there's an easily available and affordable vaccine), is by, oh I don't know:

- wash your hands;
- wear a mask; and
- keep your distance.

You can justify anything but the fact remains this could be a super spreader. Kinda like going to church or a wedding or funeral or dance or .....

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
The way I see it is it's basically for the 2 weekends they encourage people to stay home. It's on the weekends that places get over crowded.
I hope the numbers will get better on Jan 10 and they go back to previous curfew.
According to the "experts", it should take a week or two before there will be any sign that this new curfew is working. I think the reduced hours on weekends are more of a punishment and a warning that, if you don't start behaving better, you can expect more of the same - or worse!

BermudaRum

Bronze
Oct 9, 2007
Sounds like if you are Big business you get a "corona pass"
Mom and Pop and medios can spread covid. Lockem up, er , down.

You only need to look at what controls the DR Government, A.I. (P.C.), Banking Institutions, as well as Airports and Ports.
In many ways they are considered an essential service, or as you have stated; Big Business.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014

- wash your hands;
- wear a mask; and
- keep your distance.

Sure Rob. Toss them into bars, let them drink copious
amounts of alcohol then go out and spread the disease
so we all die. I can tell you have spent a lot of time in this
country and yes we get it, you know what is best for those
of us who live down here, both Dominicans and foreigners alike.

barooosk

Oct 13, 2009
I don't understand this 10 day curfew. Several posters have questioned why weekends are very difficult for grocery shoppers. i.e. instead of having a full day to shop, you have to complete your shopping before 12 noon. This leads to long lines, depleted stocks and crowded super markets with no social distancing.

Here in Sosua, virtually all the bars and restaurants (that are not part of a hotel) have shut down for the whole 10 day lockdown. However, despite the tight curfews the bars and restaurants on the beach are doing very well. Everybody who wants to eat out and have a drink goes to the beach. Even the local bar drunks are showing up at the beach. So what is the advantage of punishing the owners and patrons of the bars and restaurants in Sosua and creating a windfall for the owners of beachfront establishments

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
The goal of the DR government is to get business back to AI resorts because they are the biggest potential money maker for the tourism business. Of course AI's are suffering, but the government is focusing on getting back their business as much as possible.
the problem is Windy that if they continue cracking down on any partying in the AI's people will stop coming as word gets out. Airlines might reduce flights just because of low flight loads.
I understand, why do you have time to get home on some day and on others you don't ? It makes no sense, give people time to get home everyday then, be consistent.
Why? only because it has absolutely nothing to do with the virus. It is ALL about control.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012

- wash your hands;
- wear a mask; and
- keep your distance.

Yes what a great idea number 3 is, "keep your distance" in jail???? and for that matter how many in jail do you think are abiding my "wear a mask"??? IF people visit the few after hours bars still taking the chance and opening it is still a lot less than the ? what 400K/? 500? arrested and jailed already?

Rocket science you ain't! - to use your terminology.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I don't understand this 10 day curfew. Several posters have questioned why weekends are very difficult for grocery shoppers. i.e. instead of having a full day to shop, you have to complete your shopping before 12 noon. This leads to long lines, depleted stocks and crowded super markets with no social distancing.

Here in Sosua, virtually all the bars and restaurants (that are not part of a hotel) have shut down for the whole 10 day lockdown. However, despite the tight curfews the bars and restaurants on the beach are doing very well. Everybody who wants to eat out and have a drink goes to the beach. Even the local bar drunks are showing up at the beach. So what is the advantage of punishing the owners and patrons of the bars and restaurants in Sosua and creating a windfall for the owners of beachfront establishments
So, are you saying that the bars and restaurants on the beach are currently open? If that's the case, the only thing I can think of is that there is a prohibition of serving food and drinks on the premises. Those bars and restaurants are on a public beach and not serving "on premises". In that case, the restaurants on Cabarete Beach should be open, also, for those sitting at tables on the beach.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012

" creating a windfall for the owners of beachfront establishments" ????? A windfall? I've been staying in Sosua for the last week, live in Santiago, and I drive to Puerto Plata almost everyday. The numbers of cars parked above the beach is minimal every day. I will say the parking lot on the Sosua side of Sosua beach was full today but I'll ask my various friends who own restaurants on the beach if business is booming "a windfall" for them. I think not

Reactions: twoinsosua

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
From personal experience:

Mask don’t protect you from getting covid, they will only extend the time until you’ll eventually get it.

Using gloves, is only a must do if you come in contact with items or cash as part if your daily work. It also offers a limited protection.

Washing your hands with soap after any outing does a lot to keep you from rubbing any trace lingering onto your face, nose, mouth or eyes. Problem is that also all items you handle during that outing must also get disinfectant all over them.

We can extend the safe time until we become infected by covid but very, very few will outdo the pandemic.

These actions are only to slow the infection rate to a level where the healthcare system doesn’t collapse around us.

It has nothing to do with keeping you from ever getting infected with it. They know you will get it...

Meanwhile the lack of intellect on our political appointees to deal with it and the economy, tells us we should start learning mandarin...
As only China has shown the intellectual 🧐 basis on how to deal with a pandemic and your economy at the same time. They will rule the world’s economy...

Even their use of a QR cell phone based system to allow people to incorporate at each step back into the economy, safely, had been proven effective and tamper proof...

I’ve sent the same QR plan to our gov to no avail.
We are fked...

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Vamos a ver...

Attachments

• DD16CABB-168F-4695-B133-30D9D62B818C.jpeg
    DD16CABB-168F-4695-B133-30D9D62B818C.jpeg
    573.1 KB · Views: 124

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
While a firm supporter of the Abinader election, and progress made during his short time in office, his administration is appearing very sophomoric the last two weeks.
Remember those pretty colored posters from the Vice president's office that were posted here a couple days ago? They showed showed bars, restaurants, colmadones, and farmacias "closed to the public". How do you manage to put out such poor, erroneous, incomplete information? The pharmacies are open and so are bars, colmadones, and restaurants with the prohibition of serving food and drinks on premises.

barooosk

Oct 13, 2009
" creating a windfall for the owners of beachfront establishments" ????? A windfall? I've been staying in Sosua for the last week, live in Santiago, and I drive to Puerto Plata almost everyday. The numbers of cars parked above the beach is minimal every day. I will say the parking lot on the Sosua side of Sosua beach was full today but I'll ask my various friends who own restaurants on the beach if business is booming "a windfall" for them. I think not
Ok. Maybe its not a "windfall." However, for the past three days, bars and restaurants on the beach are the only show in town. Virtually all restaurants and bars in Sosua (and there are a lot of them) have closed down for the ten day lockdown. The can't sell booze and can only offer take-out food. They still need to pay rent, but the owners and their employees are making no money. On the other hand, bars and restaurants on the beach have no restrictions. I know today was a Dominican holiday, but I have not seen this many people on Sosua Beach since before the first lockdown.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
While returning home from my Navidad retreat to Barahona and having lunch this afternoon in Santo Domingo, I overheard a table full of local professionals speaking out against the current curfew.
Their position was that if the government wants to take away the freedoms of Dominicans between the hours of 5pm and 5am, while continuing to bend over backwards to cater to foreign tourists, than Dominicans should shut down the entire nation themselves by going on strike across the pitch and not report to work, regardless of profession.
24 hour strike by and of the people until the curfews are 100% disengaged.
Although I believe they may have been disgruntled PLD members, I can't say that I blame them.
Many have called for Dominicans to rise up against the previous, current, and possible future restrictions placed upon them........and while I may stand in solidarity with some of these sentiments, all I wish for is a peaceful resistance.
Nobody wins through violence.
I know a soon to be President that used it to rile a nation !
And there have been many other instances across history where it has been used.
Ask Castro, Ortega and Maduro.

Reactions: twoinsosua

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Yes what a great idea number 3 is, "keep your distance" in jail???? and for that matter how many in jail do you think are abiding my "wear a mask"??? IF people visit the few after hours bars still taking the chance and opening it is still a lot less than the ? what 400K/? 500? arrested and jailed already?

Rocket science you ain't! - to use your terminology.
Nonsense ..
You can wash your Hands in the Toilet ... u may have to share ,but there may be enough water in there mixed with the Urine .
You can wear the T Shirt of the guy you are spooning with, as a mask ..
And " social distancing " ? ok, i give up , ya got me there I guess

but Drob is much smarter than all of us combined . so if it makes sense to him, gosh darn it we should be on board with it .

Feb 7, 2007
Vamos a ver...

It will not work. Already tried and proven, it will not work. Slovakia. Austria. Google it. It will work for 1 or 2 weeks. You would need to test weekly at least with antigen tests. That's huge amount of money, government in DR will not pay for it, and less so the people. If you leave testing to voluntary, 10 to 50% will go. If obligatory, you will have a revolt. You cannot oblige anyone to go take a test, it's unconstitutional. You can only restrict what one can do if not taken the test. And the testing would need to be weekly, or else there is no point in doing anything like this. Plus again, there is no money around for weekly testing not even with super duper cheap antigen tests. This may have somehow worked in China, but has not worked in any western country that tried it. Somewhere it worked better, somewhere less so, but always it only somehow worked for 1 or 2 weeks. Than it stopped working altogether. Waste of time and money.

Status
Not open for further replies.