Airports to be shut down for 15 days from 10th Jan ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
There is a rumour circulating amongst hoteliers that the government is about to announce a shut-down of airports for 15 days from 10th January. Been reported to me now by four separate people, all who either run hotels or are important people in the world of tourism. May be just Punta Cana that is being closed, but I suspect it will be all airports if the rumour is true. Reason is concerns over the new strain of Covid, not wanting to allow it to enter the country.

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
There is rumor going around DR that I look like Brad Pitt fully clothed and Tommy Lee naked.
Believe it or not.

Apologies, this is something that "people in the know" are circulating. The same people told me last week that we were about to have the 12 mid-day weekend curfew the day before it was announced, and I'm just passing on what I have been told in case it helps someone.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
SKY said recently, not gonna happen.
Don't agree will all of his post but I do agree with that one. Tourism dollars are a top priority now.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Unfortunately the people that I know that are "in the know" are grumbling the same thing.
Hope they are wrong.

Reactions: Russell

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I don't see any point of closing the airports for only 15 days. IF they close close them for 15 days, they'll stay closed for 30 days at least.

Reactions: Michael DR

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Rumors of what might help? Whatever sticks to the wall.
Futile actions abound. It is happening everywhere.

Reactions: Neargale

nomiiiii

Dec 30, 2020
Seattle
Back in March/April how did this airport shutdown go down, did they give tourists already on the island a few days to be able to leave? Or were they just stuck here for 15-30 days?

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Back in March/April how did this airport shutdown go down, did they give tourists already on the island a few days to be able to leave? Or were they just stuck here for 15-30 days?

I was due to leave in March....... Finally left in July. 😆😆😆. On another airline. With another ticket. On another route.

Reactions: TropicalPaul

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
I hope it's another rumor. Shutting the place down didn't work last time. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and hoping for a different result.
Stupid at best, retarted at worst

I think they are going into panic mode because a) what is happening in the UK is scary, infection rates are going through the roof and b) they cannot keep shutting down everything for Dominicans and keeping the AI's open, the government is realising that people are getting angry about tourists being treated differently. That's my take on it anyway.

Reactions: jinty05

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
We have a flight to PUJ scheduled for Feb. 4, moved ahead from Jan. 8 due to uncertainty over passport renewal.

Maybe we’ll finally get back in 2022 🙄.

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
How serious do you honestly think these rumours are bc I will have to book 2 new flights tomorrow for Sat if this is true, we just can't be stuck here any longer but it involves a lot of money as we are also bringing 7 animals with us and switching to a different airline etc...

The people who have told me are all serious people in the industry. Nobody in the government as yet. Tonight a friend of mine who works at Punta Cana airport and had just got his job back was told that he is being laid off from the 10th for two months. In reality I guess that there are discussions going on in government and the final decision has not yet been taken. In your position I would suggest that you book two fully flexible tickets for Saturday which can be cancelled last minute without a penalty and then wait to see what happens.

Reactions: Harleysrock

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
Another point is that even if they do shut the airports they will almost certainly allow empty planes to come and take away those that want to leave. They have recently banned all flights from the UK but they then allowed several empty planes to come in and let the Brits who were here return. So if you're leaving there will almost certainly be flights available. Coming in is less certain.

Another point is that even if they do shut the airports they will almost certainly allow empty planes to come and take away those that want to leave. They have recently banned all flights from the UK but they then allowed several empty planes to come in and let the Brits who were here return. So if you're leaving there will almost certainly be flights available. Coming in is less certain.
Yes I agree, it's our animals that are the biggest issue and why we have had to wait until after Xmas to leave. We won't leave without them so that would be the only concern with the ferry flights is animals allowed on. Will sleep on it and decide what to do tomorrow. Thanks for the info.

Status
Not open for further replies.