Getting married to a Dominican Citizen

VladFridlyand

Jun 26, 2019
Boca Chica, DR
flamingomoments.com
I am trying to marry a Dominican Citizen. So far the ring is accepted and find out the cost of filing which is 10000 pesos.
As i foreigner I need translated and apostilled copies of documents such as Birth Certificate, Divorce Papers etc. Can any one point me in the right direction where that can be done and what would be the cost to prepare those documents.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
All depends where you are from.
My birth certificate came in 5 languages so no translation needed. The apostille is also done in your home country.

As for translating stuff here, it will be cheap-ish.

Reactions: VladFridlyand

DR_Guy

Bronze
Feb 17, 2010
If you live in a small town and know the judge that does weddings the paperwork is considerably less. Almost no paperwork if you do the wedding at a resort and invite her perform (expenses paid of course). jajaj

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
You have to be careful with weddings at resorts. I remember reading about same sex weddings taking place in Bavaro leaving me perplexed. Last I checked, same sex weddings are illegal in the DR and not recognized by the Dominican government (and for a very long time the only religious weddings recognized by the government were Catholic ones). Sham on a beautiful beach? Could be. Oh well, at least somebody is making money in the process.

canuck1

Jun 22, 2009
I have been married for 16 years. I can not remember everything it was along time ago but i just got my Canadian papers translated and i thick i paid 3 or 4 k pesos . But i am sure it is a lot more now.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
I have been married for 16 years. I can not remember everything it was along time ago but i just got my Canadian papers translated and i thick i paid 3 or 4 k pesos . But i am sure it is a lot more now.
Congrats on 16 year marriage.
The divorce rate for Americans is 50 percent but only 38% for Canadians. Maybe because you guys are too polite to divorce?

We share the same number of years married to a Dominican.
Having a long term marriage success is a big achievement when you take into consideration the culture differences.
I have never seen the stats on the rate of Dominicans marrying Americans or Canadians but would guess its over 50%.

At the risk of stirring up my followers I will share my secret to staying happily married for 16 years.
I try and keep my big mouth shut.
Instead I come on here and share all my great ideas.

Reactions: campesinadeatl

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Whenever I cannot remember something I just ask my wife who knows everything.
I hardly need google if she is around and not busy talking on the phone.

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
At the risk of stirring up my followers I will share my secret to staying happily married for 16 years.

Gaby and I have been married for only 12 years, and I remember we had a lawyer take care of the paperwork for the civil ceremony. Cost like 200.00 us.. Marriage to my Dominicana is much different than my previous marriage to an American girl.. Things are simpler and I like that we do everything together.. My secret is little different than yours. Not saying your way is wrong, just backwards to how our marriage is. I put it in Spanish because it reads better..

Sin mentiras ni celos, Ducharse juntos todas las mananas, Mucho sexo, Lo que digo es ley porque soy capitan, Ella tiene dinero para comprar, nosotros viajo mucho.

It works for us..

Tom F.

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
You have to be careful with weddings at resorts. I remember reading about same sex weddings taking place in Bavaro leaving me perplexed. Last I checked, same sex weddings are illegal in the DR and not recognized by the Dominican government (and for a very long time the only religious weddings recognized by the government were Catholic ones). Sham on a beautiful beach? Could be. Oh well, at least somebody is making money in the process.
Many times the ceremony at the resort is just for show. The legal marriage was obtained at the court house a month before in their home countries.

Reactions: PCMike

canuck1

Jun 22, 2009
Congrats on 16 year marriage.
The divorce rate for Americans is 50 percent but only 38% for Canadians. Maybe because you guys are too polite to divorce?

We share the same number of years married to a Dominican.
Having a long term marriage success is a big achievement when you take into consideration the culture differences.
I have never seen the stats on the rate of Dominicans marrying Americans or Canadians but would guess its over 50%.

I agree completely I have known my wife for almost 18 years now, I understand enough Spanish to keep her happy and Do not understand anything when it is best. But hell it has lasted double amount of time over my first marriage so i think I was lucky to find her.

Reactions: zoomzx11

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
it takes ZERO talent or skill to get married
Did someone say that getting married takes skill and talent?
The skill, talent and brains comes in staying happily married for a long time.

Lots of dummies get divorced while the wife skips off with the great car you bought her, all those fancy clothes and of course your beautiful ex home is now hers along with the child support checks and if you were a real idiot alimony.
You are left scratching your head having learned nothing still thinking all the stuff you bought should have been enough.
Of course it was not what you did, it was what you did not do.
And now our poor schlep is left with an attitude and a bruised ego.

An old story here in Sosua.
Always wondered, is it a temptation to send her pictures of ones dates here?

Big

Apr 24, 2019
Did someone say that getting married takes skill and talent?
The skill, talent and brains comes in staying happily married for a long time.

Lots of dummies get divorced while the wife skips off with the great car you bought her, all those fancy clothes and of course your beautiful ex home is now hers along with the child support checks and if you were a real idiot alimony.
You are left scratching your head having learned nothing still thinking all the stuff you bought should have been enough.
Of course it was not what you did, it was what you did not do.
And now our poor schlep is left with an attitude and a bruised ego.

An old story here in Sosua.
Always wondered, is it a temptation to send her pictures of ones dates here?
never been married bro, further it is evident we are not even close to being on the same playing field. Now go shoot your gun out of the window again OK big Tex.

Reactions: zoomzx11