Restaurant Prices Shooting Up

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
There isn't nothing more comparon that a Dominican; that be dressing up or eating out and those with the monies to do it would not be picking anything at any Chinese joint selling Platos del Dia in Av Duarte or any place alike, count on that.

To the opposite, I do believe that this country is totally ubalanced with the wealth; there are many, and I mean many wealthy Dominicans who actually opt to only dine at the best restaurants in town, and as you can see; these two replies of yours contradict each other. ;)

I agree with this statement. Megabucks folks. Lots of them.

You'll never see a Vicini or a Rainieri at a fast food place. In the unlikely event they want to eat something from Wendy's, they won't be the ones buying it.

Those are the kinds of folks who can cater a meal for friends and relatives whenever they want and frequently do.

Or how about this one: How many times have you seen an upper-level politician eating in a restaurant?

Also, how many here know how food services for politicians work? The waste they produce?

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013

You'll never see a Vicini or a Rainieri at a fast food place. In the unlikely event they want to eat something from Wendy's, they won't be the ones buying it.

Those are the kinds of folks who can cater a meal for friends and relatives whenever they want and frequently do.

Or how about this one: How many times have you seen an upper-level politician eating in a restaurant?

Also, how many here know how food services for politicians work? The waste they produce?

All depends what you call an " upper-level " politician.

• Love
Reactions: Caonabo

Radical

Jan 5, 2021
SOMEWHERE

High end class restaurants, hand picked and well selected. I happened to be right next to a few of them by mere coincidence, Paliza from the PRM is one of them.

rfp

Gold
Jul 5, 2010
There isn't nothing more comparon that a Dominican; that be dressing up or eating out and those with the monies to do it would not be picking anything at any Chinese joint selling Platos del Dia in Av Duarte or any place alike, count on that.

To the opposite, I do believe that this country is totally ubalanced with the wealth; there are many, and I mean many wealthy Dominicans who actually opt to only dine at the best restaurants in town, and as you can see; these two replies of yours contradict each other. ;)
Ha how do you know they dont send their maids or employees there ?

There are many sides of the coin, the show off rich people and destitute poor people narrative is a little tiresome and not reflective of reality from a Santo Domingo perspective

Radical

Jan 5, 2021
SOMEWHERE
Ha how do you know they dont send their maids or employees there ?

If you truly believe that?

Your opinion :cool:
There are many sides of the coin,

Actually, there is only three sides of the coin:

1. Those living north of JFK

2. Those living east of Maximo Gomez

3. Those living west of Av Luperon

Then there is the rest. Pick who eats Plato del Dia and who goes to restaurants?
the show off rich people and destitute poor people narrative is a little tiresome and not reflective of reality from a Santo Domingo perspective

That is reality right down the street.

Go to Blue Mall SBG and see who would you find?

Look at the valet parking and the vehicles around it; guaranteed none of the owners will be asking for Plato del Dia. Go across the street to La SIrena, and boom; the entire atmosphere just changed right in front of you; two entirely different worlds.

That is the way the cookie crumbles around here. I live here, I live this life everyday, I do not fly in for a week or a few months at the time, I know what's happening .

rfp

Gold
Jul 5, 2010
If you truly believe that?

Your opinion :cool:

Actually, there is only three sides of the coin:

1. Those living north of JFK

2. Those living east of Maximo Gomez

3. Those living west of Av Luperon

Then there is the rest. Pick who eats Plato del Dia and who goes to restaurants?

That is reality right down the street.

Go to Blue Mall SBG and see who would you find?

Look at the valet parking and the vehicles around it; guaranteed none of the owners will be asking for Plato del Dia. Go across the street to La SIrena, and boom; the entire atmosphere just changed right in front of you; two entirely different worlds.

That is the way the cookie crumbles around here. I live here, I live this life everyday, I do not fly in for a week or a few months at the time, I know what's happening .
ok

• Love

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017

This is silly talk.
You know better than this.
Please do not cater to the "woke" folk.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Please do not cater to the "woke" folk.
Woke: "The phrase originated from African American Vernacular English but has been gradually co-opted by right wing players to be used as an insult"

Reactions: Michael DR

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
I truly wonder where specifically is this happening, care to mention where you live in the DR?
It's quaint to see some of you continue to go out of your way to amuse me.

As with most on this thread/board, I don't live there full-time. However, I spend about a third of the year there, and know where the grocery stores and restaurants are. I'll note that you're the only person claiming to live there full time who is disagreeing with me. So sorry your apparent limited means make life hard for you in paradise.*

Ultimately, it's a choice. You either can afford the place or you can't. If not, Myanmar is always there - after the coup, I mean.

Seriously, bitching and moaning about everything, all the time, has got to be exhausting. You should give it a rest.

You guys are a trip, but thanks for the smile.

*I know, I know, you're a stoic, steely-eyed, self-made gazillionaire, yadayada, who came to an island with geoarbitrage in mind not because he likes exploiting the natives yadayadayada.....

Reactions: rfp

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
All depends what you call an " upper-level " politician.
Exactly. I used to do business with Metro Tours and a couple of times we met at Don Pépé’s. The few times I had lunch there, we saw polititians with their families eating. Not The president though.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006

Just as I thought I was part of the GOLD standard by visiting Blue Mall SBG,
I slithered away to La Sierna and ended up with Fool's GOLD.

Reactions: johne

Radical

Jan 5, 2021
SOMEWHERE
I don't live there full-time.
You either can afford the place or you can't.

Its kind a hard to voice an opinion in something one knows little about, isn't it?

Obviously you don't experience what I experience everyday, you do not live here, care to expand where you spend your leisure time whenever you stop by a few days or weeks at the time?

Lastly, I'm here 12 months of the year, you do not; I do not go around eating Habichuelas, Spaguettis, and Huevos, much less Platos del Dia to save a penny as suggested by some (long live Cholesterol, Diabetes and BP in the name of savings :eek:), you defend that position, therefore, its very clear who is able to afford the place?

Say whatever you say, Dominicans living well, Dominicans middle class and wealthy Dominicans do not live as such, period.

So sorry your apparent limited means make life hard for you in paradise.

Cheapness and affordability are too different things; you've stand up for the former, hack at it.

Jan 9, 2004
Over the last couple of weeks I've been shocked at how expensive restaurants have become. Today at Bocana Boca Chica, prices were sky high. A Cuba Libre for RD$ 380. Pechuga a la Plancha for just under RD$ 900. A soda for RD$ 200. bocana.menuseguro.com.do in case anyone doesn't believe me. This place used to be cheap and cheerful, I'm pretty sure they have doubled their prices in the last 12 months. Lunch for four adults and a couple kids came in at a few pesos under RD$ 10,000, and it was basic, nothing to write home about. Small portions, nothing fancy.

A little walk down the beach showed that prices are similar in other places. Today's special of pasta carbonara in one place for "just" RD$ 600 plus tax and service so $768 in total. And in Santo Domingo itself it's the same story. A cuba libre for RD$ 300 plus tax and service in Plaza España so RD$ 384 in total. A pizza in the Conde for RD$ 895 plus tax and service, so RD$ 1145 in total.

Can't see that jacking up the prices this high is going to help bring the tourists back.
It is not just at restaurants and it is not just confined to the DR.

Worldwide food commodity prices have been rising for at least the last eight months. Put that together with rising transportation costs for those commodities and no country that imports food products/commodities is immune.

The good news, for the DR at least, is that the price of raw sugar has doubled in the last 6 months. One of the bright export spots in the DR economy.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Would you eat everyday out of that Plato del Dia place?

Would you buy and wear the clothing sold by this lady?

There is cheap, and there is cheap.
My wife and I both wear clothing we have bought in the Haitian flea market in Jarabacoa. Many of the brands are high end and if you know what are quality brands you can end up with nice clothing for pesos. I would have no problem with eating out of most of the plato del dia places close to me. Many of our teacher do. Most of it is too oily for me though.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I am not prone to constantly repeating myself, but I will this time:

"Plato del Dias" are geared towards working people, as in people who happen to be working at that hour of mid-day.
To suggest that Plato del Dias are solely based or provided for those of lower economic standing out of necessity is ridiculous, and screams of the pure ignorance and disdain some community members within this forum have for the RD nation, and it's people as a whole. Easy to understand if their sole RD experience is watching Sosua streetwalkers eat an empanada for breakfast or Plato del Dia every day at 12 noon, in between watching their souls and lives drift away, but this is hardly the reality of/for the nation as a whole.
If those same streetwalkers were dining at La Cussina or La Dolceria in Santo Domingo, would this be the measuring stick?

In many avenues, workers either bring their lunch with them, or return home (which is the preference for many) at the mid-day to eat. For others, yes, there are thousands of places that offer Plato del Dias. There are no/zero stigmas attached to them, at least amongst Dominicans. This is a cultural thing. I know doctors, bank presidents, and those possessing sufficient assets who have not one/zero issue with frequenting an establishment that offers Plato del Dias. I reguarly alternately select several employees of mine, to enjoy a good Plato del Dia, and yes, it is appreciated. Just as it would be if I took them to a 4 star dining experience, which I do as well for special occassions.
The prevailing reality based factor is that these smaller run operations are the just the same as "home cooking", and maintain their steady clientele based on the quality of their product to the consumer. So much so, that larger scale supermarkets have in recent times expanded their operations to include...."Platos del Dias" sections.

The ones eating Plato del Dia, have no other means to consume otherwise? Ignorance is surely bliss.
As you say " The prevailing reality based factor is that these smaller run operations are the just the same as "home cooking", and maintain their steady clientele based on the quality of their product to the consumer. So much so, that larger scale supermarkets have in recent times expanded their operations to include...."Platos del Dias" sections. " Absolutely true. The popular places aren't popular because of their price alone, the quality of the food is what attracts the clientele. "

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
As you say " The prevailing reality based factor is that these smaller run operations are the just the same as "home cooking", and maintain their steady clientele based on the quality of their product to the consumer. So much so, that larger scale supermarkets have in recent times expanded their operations to include...."Platos del Dias" sections. " Absolutely true. The popular places aren't popular because of their price alone, the quality of the food is what attracts the clientele. "
I have eaten Sirena's sancocho for dinner every Sunday for ages. It is always crammed with meat, vegetables and root plants.

It is very good by itself, but I always have mine with a touch of hot sauce (OK, a big touch) and a slice of whole-wheat bread.

IIRC, it runs for 150 pesos.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Anyone surviving on Platos del Dia needs to go back to where they came from.....................
Who living or posting up in her from DR1 says that is how they are living ❓
And who made you judge of all lifestyle decisions❓

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
I have eaten Sirena's sancocho for dinner every Sunday for ages. It is always crammed with meat, vegetables and root plants.

It is very good by itself, but I always have mine with a touch of hot sauce (OK, a big touch) and a slice of whole-wheat bread.

IIRC, it runs for 150 pesos.
And yet there are those posting up in here that cannot believe that you eat there simply because you enjoy it, not because you cannot afford to buy anything else...