Might CV19 tests be required to enter the DR?

slowmo

Aug 1, 2016
Read the article. it says una medida que pretende evitar la entrada en el país de variantes de la covid-19.

So they don't care about higher positivity rates in other countries where tourists come from, but they want to avoid visitors with these three variants. Why? The only logical answer is that they know that their Chinese vaccine is not good against those variants.
Safe to say that the Chinese vaccine being used in Chile isn't working very well. High vaccination rates and infection rates are still rising.

Reactions: Eugene_A

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
This is what the article that you are referring to, says

------
SERRANA, Brazil (Reuters) - The COVID-19 vaccine developed by China’s Sinovac Biotech is effective against the UK and South African variants, the vaccine's Brazilian partner said on Wednesday, citing test results in Chinese trials.

"We have tested this vaccine in China against the English and the South African variants, with good results," said Dimas Covas, head of the Butantan biomedical center in Sao Paulo which lead domestic trials of the Chinese vaccine and is supplying doses to Brazil's Health Ministry.
-------

Now tell me, why try to prevent only entering of people infected with those three variants to DR? What is the reason then?
Your quote from the article defeats your arguement.

• Haha
Reactions: JD Jones and cavok

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Eugene,
Because the majority of people in the country are not fully vaccinated yet. Because parts of the country are under a high disease load that is affecting the availability of supportive medical treatment. Because, none of the vaccines appear to guarantee one will not get sick and pass the virus on to others. The variants seem to spread faster and easier than the original strain of the virus and affect younger healthier patients harder than a year ago. Because an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Because we can better control the spread of this virus and its variants on an island if we prevent them from getting here in the first place. Because with limited resources available to fight the virus should it take off again, it only makes sense to try and limit the introduction of new sources of infection to a still vulnerable population. Because it is a prudent and scientifically justifiable preventative step shy of banning all travelers from specific hot spot countries.

When countries are successful in getting their case loads down to a low level, they will all probably do everything they can to keep the numbers low for quite some time to come. This means negative tests to enter and possibly proof of vaccination.

Reactions: Lobo Tropical

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
What does that have to do with the E Ticket? ?????????????????????????
You posted the above in this thread about CV19 tests to enter the DR and now we have countries where people need negative tests to enter the DR. This is not the E-Ticket thread, by the way. You said it would never happen, that they would never do anything to deter tourists. So never took a short time, did it not, SKY?

Will never happen. The DR will not do anything to deter tourists...................
Also you said again in post 10 above: When it happens make sure and let us know. Until then this is still the DR. And a tourist fueled Country. WILL NEVER HAPPEN,,,,,,,,,,,, - So you are WRONG, SKY!

Reactions: Lobo Tropical

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Yes I was wrong, but lets look at the three countries picked. Brasil is a total disaster and virtually no tourists come here from Brasil anyway.
South Africa, anyone here ever run into a South African here?

And finally the UK. Very few or none are coming. The reason is all the Quarantine rules its citizens must observe, Covid tests and re tests, heavy fines, etc.

Reactions: PCMike

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Window dressing.... you're right - these countries have little to no effect on tourism

UK only just opened up travel - May 17th

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Yes I was wrong, but lets look at the three countries picked. Brasil is a total disaster and virtually no tourists come here from Brasil anyway.
South Africa, anyone here ever run into a South African here?

And finally the UK. Very few or none are coming. The reason is all the Quarantine rules its citizens must observe, Covid tests and re tests, heavy fines, etc.
You said never and now deflect.

Feb 7, 2007
Variant is nasty ...

Safe to say that the Chinese vaccine being used in Chile isn't working very well. High vaccination rates and infection rates are still rising.
You need 75% vaccination rate. Chinese Sinovac is effective. Brazil is a living proof.... And Indonesia

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
When it happens make sure and let us know. Until then this is still the DR. And a tourist fueled Country. WILL NEVER HAPPEN,,,,,,,,,,,,
Yes,
The DR needs tourism, but the government knows that rising CV19 infections in the DR are detrimental to tourism.
Ingress from Brazil and other Latin countries with low vaccination rates does pose a threat to the DR, its citizens and tourists.

Even if the DR may not require CV19 tests to enter, travel advisories of the countries are clear.

COVID-19 in the Dominican Republic -CDC​

Key Information for Travelers to the Dominican Republic​

COVID-19 in the Dominican Republic​

• Travelers should avoid all travel to the Dominican Republic.
  • Because of the current situation in the Dominican Republic even fully vaccinated travelers may be at risk for getting and spreading COVID-19 variants and should avoid all travel to the Dominican Republic.
  • If you must travel to the Dominican Republic, get fully vaccinated before travel.

Official Global Travel Advisories​

Dominican Republic - Exercise a high degree of caution​

Exercise a high degree of caution in the Dominican Republic due to crime.

Foreign travel advice

Dominican Republic​

Summary​

Still current at:3 June 2021Updated:3 June 2021Latest update:
Addition of information on the removal of the requirement for travellers from the UK to present a negative COVID-19 PCR test on arrival in the Dominican Republic (‘Entry requirements’ page)

The FCDO advises against all but essential travel to the whole of the Dominican Republic based on the current assessment of COVID-19 risks.​

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com

• Because of the current situation in the Dominican Republic even fully vaccinated travelers may be at risk for getting and spreading COVID-19 variants and should avoid all travel to the Dominican Republic.
  • If you must travel to the Dominican Republic, get fully vaccinated before travel.

You've got to be kidding. Who writes this crap?

Michael DR

Banned
Jun 7, 2020
Earth

You've got to be kidding. Who writes this crap?
People smarter than you LOL, and who actually have the background and credentials to speak on it, unlike you and the rest of us here, without exception unless I've missed anyone with the proper credentials who's been willing to show them. ;)

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
I really have a hard time understanding DR stance.

Ok, we get that the country rely on tourism, so as other countries, yet they have been more vigilent of whom they let in (come on now, at least ask for a test !).

Other places, have been totally shut down to tourism such as Thailand and Bali. No doubt that it has been devastating, but I have the feeling that when these country re-open this summer and have a better handle of the pandemic and higher vaccination rate of their population, tourists will pick these countries over DR (for the North American market, other islands over DR)

Also, it's been a year and studies have shown that curfews in developing countries are not as effective as previously thought.

I hope I am wrong and I don't have the answer, but it looks to me that DR open-arms policy may backfire on the long run.

Eugene_A

Banned
Feb 12, 2021
Santo Domingo
I hope I am wrong and I don't have the answer, but it looks to me that DR open-arms policy may backfire on the long run.
Mexico has the same open–arm policy and Cancun is doing much better than Punta Cana now. I believe that DR Government is afraid that if they ask tourists for negative tests, tourists may just prefer Cancun instead of Punta Cana.

Reactions: thompstr and SKY